Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #1

Asking for photography tips for a trip to Toronto

Hello all,
I am going to Toronto at the end of March for 5 days and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for photography at this time of the year. I am assuming that the weather will be cold. I am looking to do some street photography and may be some architecture. Also looking to head out at night and try to take some shots of the skyline. For street shots, I am thinking of spending most of my time in downtown Toronto, does anyone know of any other area where I could make some nice pictures ? As for the skyline, I am not sure where the best spots are. Some hidden gems, non-mainstream spots would be great to try to make some shots in peact ! Any kind of pointers would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

03-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old town. Plus most of the things on this route... City Sightseeing Toronto - Toronto Double-Decker City Tour Map
03-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My house?
03-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Well, Toronto city hall for sure. It's been a while since I'v lived there, but Queen Street from University to Spadina was always good for street photography, especially on a weekend. Harbourfront is good for a stroll and if you can find your way out to the Leslie Street spit, the skyline and sometimes wildlife can be good. For a parkish kind of place High Park is good, lots of people traffic, and of course the Legislature at Queen's Park, for some interesting historic buildings. Case Loma is definitely touristy but possibly worth a visit. The points of interest include the Science Centre, the Art Gallery of Ontario, and The Royal Ontario Museum and Toronto zoo,

Looking at non mainstream stuff, even things like hanging around the Bus Station on bay street can be interesting. And a stroll up and down Yonge Street from Union Station to the Eaton's Centre can be interesting.

The problem with the end of March is if the weather isn't good, you won't find a lot of people out. And looking for out of the way, I'm scratching my head, but I'm coming up with not much. Maybe the old brickyard off Pottery Road,
Don Valley Brick Works - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or the Old Don jail.

Toronto.com – The Old Don Jail

The Don Jail saw 34 hangings. Case Loma may or may not have antique furniture on display I restored way back in my cabinet making days.
Casa Loma

And if you can get tickets of anything at Massey Hall, I'd go, just to be inside the place.
Massey Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Event Listings

There's just too much to do there. And I'm not even getting into my old haunts.... my biggest problem thinking of going back to Toronto would be coming up with a schedule that didn't totally run me into the ground. Two weeks probably wouldn't be long enough.

03-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The University of Toronto has some nice old architecture, Kensington Market is nearby and a standard for people photos. OCAD is also freaky for its newish building on stilts and freakish looking art students.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Maybe the old brickyard off Pottery Road,
Don Valley Brick Works - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Brick Works are awesome. End of March is a great time for birds passing by. From the Brick Works, it's a nice walk down the Don River to Riverdale Farms. Maybe not the greatest for people/architecture, but this walking route was my 'escape' from city living.
03-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
The University of Toronto has some nice old architecture, Kensington Market is nearby and a standard for people photos. OCAD is also freaky for its newish building on stilts and freakish looking art students.

The Brick Works are awesome. End of March is a great time for birds passing by. From the Brick Works, it's a nice walk down the Don River to Riverdale Farms. Maybe not the greatest for people/architecture, but this walking route was my 'escape' from city living.
I used to live off Douglas Crescent, when I was young the brick works was still operational, so that area we used to call "the honey woods" and it was our playground. ( Before the brick works closed, they'd destroyed almost all of the woods strip mining it for it's clay. ) Our bit of wilderness in the middle of the city. We built shacks we called "clubs" for partying along the railway line and raced go carts down old Pottery Road.
03-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for the very helpful information

03-07-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mnj11 Quote
Also looking to head out at night and try to take some shots of the skyline.
A good view of the Toronto skyline may be seen from the Toronto Islands (Centre Island or Ward's Island). A ferry runs from downtown Toronto. For sample images, you can search Flickr for "Toronto skyline". (I think that the ferry service is suspended at the moment owing to heavy ice in the inner harbour. End of March should be okay).

The Royal Ontario Museum has interesting architecture.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-07-2015 at 05:51 PM.
03-08-2015, 05:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I woould agree with all the above, but for street photography, you might try walking on queen street west of Spadina.

Once you side the city core, things spread out pretty flat. As most of toronto is single family residential housing. Sure, there are pockets of higher density but not much, although there are large sections of Victorian housing, as much thof the first expansion of the city took place during the Victorian era.

You should visit also the waterfront, although not much is happening this time of year. If you are a sucker for punishment, you can always try to get into a MapleLeafs hockey game, but prices are very high for the quality of what you will see
03-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First you need to study up on Canada, Michael Moore's most accurate documentary was a film called Canadian Bacon and it is very informative of Canadian culture, I heartily recommend it.

I assume that the CN Tower will be open. You shoud get a great view of the land for miles around including a pretty good portion of Lake Ontario. The Ontario Science Center is worth a visit too. The Toronto Zoo but it closes at 4:30 so I don't know if you will have time.

I live in western NY and we are just experienced out coldest month since record keeping started in 1830 so dress accordingly. A side trip to the Niagara Falls area would be pretty cool and they illuminate the falls at night. The Canadian side of the falls is much more scenic. A passport makes getting back into the states a lot easier.

Drink Canadian beer carefully. It is much better that major brand US made beer and goes it down a lot easier. It is usually a little more potent.
03-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Drink Canadian beer carefully.
We Canadians recommend sampling many different Canadian beers in volume - especially those from the micro-breweries - to ensure a thorough statistical analysis and to allow the drinker to determine a true favourite.

(but we agree with the advice - drink carefully and responsibly).

- Craig
03-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Distillery District (feature #20 on the tour map linked above) is a gentrified historic Victorian industrial district and very photogenic. In late March there should be fewer tourists to interfere with your shots.

The Leslie Street Spit that extends out into Lake Ontario from the foot of that street has great views of the City and has a naturalized, wide open landscape, manufactured from years of rubble from construction and subway excavation. Not as manicured as the Islands but an interesting visit and a vigorous walk (also an essential part of my longer City bike rides).

The Mount Pleasant Cemetery is huge, located near the Davisville and St Clair subway stations has a lot of old and interesting memorials - including the grave of pianist Glenn Gould and the mausoleum of Captain Fluke:

Last edited by jacamar; 03-09-2015 at 03:25 PM.
03-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #13

Original Poster
Great information..much appreciated !! My list of things to do is getting only longer, now that beer is added to it, I wonder how many of the others I can manage to do
Thanks again
03-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mnj11 Quote
Great information..much appreciated !! My list of things to do is getting only longer, now that beer is added to it, I wonder how many of the others I can manage to do
Thanks again

Oh yes. the beer - All the big "Canadian" breweries are foreign owned. Go for the local brews - e.g Cameron's, Black Oak, Amsterdam, Mill Street (at the Distillery) - lots of others to choose from.
03-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Just stop by at my place/house.....

I'll show you Toronto

---------- Post added 03-12-15 at 11:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
We Canadians recommend sampling many different Canadian beers in volume - especially those from the micro-breweries - to ensure a thorough statistical analysis and to allow the drinker to determine a true favourite.

(but we agree with the advice - drink carefully and responsibly).

- Craig
I do like Sam Adams....