Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2015, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For those with Flickr pro accounts

What are some of the better search terms you see?

I've been getting a lot of hits since labeling my bird photos, especially the Red or White breasted Nuthatch. The Hairy Woodpecker at Beaver Lake gets a lot of hits too...

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 3.40.03 PM.png
Views: 696
Size:  113.5 KB

03-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

lol, actually lol, at some of the search terms. Just name every photo with double entendres and you'll be the most viewed person on flickr
03-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the submitter does not use a targetted title nor tags the photo, the search engine can't find it. Unfortunately, this is a common case.
03-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I should do more creative tagging.

Steve

03-10-2015, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

From today:
Searched for: hood piercing
No, I did not click through to see the search results

The image was of the hood ornament of a Pierce Arrow automobile.

Steve
03-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It annoys me that people are mining flickr for smut, when there are so many perfectly good smut sites out there. I've learned that saying something "looks different to the naked eye" will get you a lot of unintentional hits, and there have been a few others where I had to change wording, spelling, or stick asterisks in, because somebody with a fetish was doing the same search day after day after day. My most annoying winner: pregnant feet

(The image was of a whale skeleton in our science museum. She was expecting when the ship hit her.)
03-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A large part of my flickr account is reference photos of medieval armour in museums - at one time, it was one of the largest single collections on the internet, and I was getting views from reenactor and armourer groups all over the world. It's a niche subject, and one photo of a chesty blonde would get as many views in a day as I was getting in a year, but I was proud of every one of my hits, because they were people looking for MY stuff. I'm getting several times as many views with the new system, but I kind of resent it because so many are garbage searches.

03-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #8

Interesting, I never knew I could get this information from my Flickr stats. I'll pay more attention now, thanks.

I don't get a lot of hits (mostly just post family photos), but my most popular photos by far are "Undies" and "Butt Bubble". Both are totally innocent. Must be really disappointing for some!

03-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sinjin Quote
Interesting, I never knew I could get this information from my Flickr stats. I'll pay more attention now, thanks.

I don't get a lot of hits (mostly just post family photos), but my most popular photos by far are "Undies" and "Butt Bubble". Both are totally innocent. Must be really disappointing for some!

Ummmm...yeah...butt bubble should be a real hit magnet...

Steve
03-10-2015, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried to add the perviest (yet technically accurate) terms to one of my photos to see how many hits it got. That is my most-viewed photo:
03-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In fact my top three most viewed photos are all probably keyword anomalies. There's that #1 yoga photo, and the #3 shot was an unintentional discovery of this phenomenon because I tagged the grasshopper for having spread legs.
That #2 shot is also a strange one. It gets lots of hits from unknown sources quite often. It's not a particularly special shot but somehow it draws hits. Probably another unintentional tagging situation although less obvious.
Attached Images

03-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I neither have pro account nor tag my photos but felt compelled to chip in.
All hits I get on my Flickr come from PentaxForums so it's pretty representative of the actual interest (+- my pimping of the photo ). However if I was using Flickr for promotion, I'd tag aggressively.

Edit:
I actually do tag my photos but strip on export as many of the tags are private.
05-13-2015, 06:20 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New terms that get 'way more views than they should, because someone is actively searching flickr for them: pee, poop, nip, and diaper. In my case, the first three discussing things that happened at the zoo, because that sort of thing happens at the zoo, and the last because a 'diaper bag' is what the zoo keeps an orphaned baby kangaroo in. I think I'm going to wipe my monitor with disinfectant, unplug my computer, and move to a desert island.
05-13-2015, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

My four most viewed images on Flickr are photos taken on a cruise ship of a Beatles tribute band. Number five is a photo of my Epiphone Les Paul.