Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I am one of "those" people.
It's a separate issue, but yes, Ricoh doing things like this go a long way to leaving me with a good vibe with them.

Also, Ricoh on the back of the K3 was BEFORE the disaster.
Context and timeline is also important.
I share and appreciate your sentiments about the branding and have from the beginning - but I am perhaps a bit more accepting or forgiving (or some word that I can't think of).

As a corporation Ricoh has generally been a global leader in client and employee centered-ness. It is challenging for we westerners (especially we entrepreneurial, profit-seeking Americans) to appreciate how such a large company can strive to emulate a family - but they do. This kind of corporate act is much more common in Japan than elsewhere - it is part of their culture and social fabric. We tend to reserve such evocative demonstrations of sympathy for our personal lives and we tend to be modest about them.

Ricoh's a pretty cool company, actually. We just don't want them to take away OUR pretty cool company. It feels to me as if they actually listened - and Lauren, you had a very prominent hand in the talk. Really. You really did.

The tsunami occured in 2011 - yesterday was the fourth anniversary.

K-3 was revealed to have the Ricoh tattoo in August, 2013.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-12-2015 at 12:45 PM.
03-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #17

Original Poster
There's no fear about Pentax name on DSLRs. They clearly stated that Pentax name will be on all DSLR cameras and Ricoh will be on compacts. I wasn't too excited about Ricoh taking over Pentax but they reasured me. And I'm happy they did. We have FF on the way,new lenses,K3 that is really step forward and was well acsepted.....and now they did this
Kinda makes me proud to be under that kind of corporation.)
03-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This just made me tear up, seriously.. Way to go Ricoh!
03-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

What a nice story. The link is very moving about how the photos were restored and what that meant to the victims. Thanks for sharing.

---------- Post added 03-12-15 at 06:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wow. Can you imagine if Ricoh Imaging US had been able to do this after Hurricane Sandy?
Well, to be fair, the Ricoh acquisition of Pentax was finalized in October 2011. Hurricane Sandy was one year later. Fukushima was also in 2011, I believe. I won't criticize Ricoh for focusing on Home.

03-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Well, to be fair, the Ricoh acquisition of Pentax was finalized in October 2011. Hurricane Sandy was one year later. Fukushima was also in 2011, I believe. I won't criticize Ricoh for focusing on Home.
Fukushimma happened March 11, 2011 - yesterday was the fourth anniversary of the disaster. Hurricane Sandy was October 26th - 29th, 2012.

I didn't mean to imply I lament the fact that RIAC didn't do this as well - rather to illustrate to Americans by an analogy the magnitude of the social gift Ricoh made after Fukushima.
03-12-2015, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing that article. That was a wonderful thing they did. Just what I need to read today to restore my faith in humanity.
03-12-2015, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

What a very cool thing for them to undertake. The scope of the job was enormous.

03-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i was about to post this too.. really cool.
03-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Fukushimma happened March 11, 2011 - yesterday was the fourth anniversary of the disaster. Hurricane Sandy was October 26th - 29th, 2012.

I didn't mean to imply I lament the fact that RIAC didn't do this as well - rather to illustrate to Americans by an analogy the magnitude of the social gift Ricoh made after Fukushima.
Understood.
03-12-2015, 10:40 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I share and appreciate your sentiments about the branding and have from the beginning - but I am perhaps a bit more accepting or forgiving (or some word that I can't think of).

As a corporation Ricoh has generally been a global leader in client and employee centered-ness. It is challenging for we westerners (especially we entrepreneurial, profit-seeking Americans) to appreciate how such a large company can strive to emulate a family - but they do. This kind of corporate act is much more common in Japan than elsewhere - it is part of their culture and social fabric. We tend to reserve such evocative demonstrations of sympathy for our personal lives and we tend to be modest about them.

Ricoh's a pretty cool company, actually. We just don't want them to take away OUR pretty cool company. It feels to me as if they actually listened - and Lauren, you had a very prominent hand in the talk. Really. You really did.

The tsunami occured in 2011 - yesterday was the fourth anniversary.

K-3 was revealed to have the Ricoh tattoo in August, 2013.
Hmm...so I feel like crap now....I will fix my error above.