Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Every time I revisit this thread I think of an additional item of protection. This time it's "distrust everybody". Don't be paranoid, but if someone on the street asks you a question, it might be a ruse to distract you. My usual tactic is to engage the person but tighten my grip on my belongings while checking for possible accomplices.
Just punch them and run. They probably deserved it anyways.

03-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Can any SF locals confirm my understanding? Alamo Square is not a typical high crime neighborhood. It looks very safe - park with lots of kids and bicyclists, tourists, photographers - and is surrounded by well-maintained and pretty houses. Photographers don't see the typical warning signs that make people think of crime. Criminals have figured that out and are traveling to the park to grab cameras. I suspect cell phones are also getting grabbed. Any other local insight into this?
the usual smash and grab and pickpocket type crime can occur anywhere there are people, so busy populated "safe" areas are of no extra protection.
Regarding Alamo Square, one of the responding officers said there are housing projects in two directions within 3 blocks from that spot and the criminals like to stay close to familiar grounds to do their hunting. He said these robberies are happening quite often there and many other places around town.
I also do not think a robber who comes up behind you and hits you on the head with a pipe or holds you up with a gun really cares if you have an extra strap attaching your bag to your body, so please be careful, if they want it, they will get it. Several local photographers i know have been help up in as mundane places as Pier 39, the ferry building and treasure island.
03-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When it comes to street photography I would rather carry a point-and-shoot, not a cheapo but a point-and-shoot nonetheless...