Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #1

Street photography protection

I know many of us walk around with several thousand dollars of camera gear, and we tend to end up in bad parts of towns to get those gritty images.
Does anyone else ever carry some sort of protection or feel the need to?

I accidentally ended up in a really bad part of Vancouver B.C one day and since then I have always felt like people are watching me waiting for a chance to mug me. Now I really dont want them to steal a couple thousand dollars of camera gear, but beyond that I dont want them stealing 4 hours of my work.

03-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Moved to proper area. My gear is covered against loss via my home owner's insurance, though it does have a $500 deductible.
03-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No image is worth losing your gear, or possibly your life by going into bad parts of towns, knowingly. As far as protection, you no doubt would be caught by surprise, and the protection could end up being used on you!

Stay safe please; and as Adam said, have coverage on your equipment, regardless of where you take it.
03-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best protection is to not get caught alone, travel in pairs

03-14-2015, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

You are pretty safe in Vancouver, but you can't walk around in the any part of town taking people's pictures thinking there are no feelings on their part and they are there for your entertainment.

If you talked to them as people you would find out they are just that.
03-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The best "protection" depends on individual circumstances. I'll list them in order of most important to least important, IMO.

Research the neighborhood before going. Crime statistics are available online.

Situational awareness. Don't get too caught up in your photography. This improves your chances of detecting a threat, and also makes you look like a less inviting target. Hide the camera and leave the area if you feel unsafe.

Go in the morning. Criminals often stay up late, wake up late.

Stealth. I mean blending in rather than sneaking around. Bring a small camera like the Ricoh GR instead of a DSLR and large lens. If you need a tripod, a gorillapod is easy to hide.

Insurance or savings for replacement equipment.

Bring friends as backup. I've never done this because an area that's dangerous enough to require backup is dangerous enough to avoid in the first place.

A weapon. I've never needed this, for the same reasons I don't feel a need to bring backup. As a last resort, if things have already escalated to physical violence despite my attempts to avoid it, a camera to an attacker's head would make an effective single use weapon. Violence isn't just a risk in bad neighborhoods and a random crazy might attack you because you took their photo. I guess this goes back to situational awareness - if someone looks that dangerous avoid them.
03-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think what DeadJohn said is all valid, especially the situational awareness part. I like to find a partner to go with, but most times I end up by myself. As far as a weapon, being a retired LEO I am use to being always armed, conceal carry. I am 70 yoa and if all possible will retreat from a situation. Of course one of my friends is a fourth degree black belt, but he is not into photography.

03-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you go into these so called bad areas in fear and carry a weapon to respond to perceived threats you may find your photos are no good. They'll lack compassion and empathy.
03-14-2015, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
If you go into these so called bad areas in fear and carry a weapon to respond to perceived threats you may find your photos are no good. They'll lack compassion and empathy.
Or he may take a Pulitzer-worthy shot.
03-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

last weekend, my group of 7 photogs were at the painted ladies in Alamo Square and were preyed upon by 3 thugs, two of whom pushed down one of our guys and grabbed his bag and tripod and then took off down the street. we chased them down the street and around the corner where they had a driver in a getaway car waiting for them. Our friend lost about $8K worth of gear.
Many other local photogs have been robbed at gunpoint around the city and I am now looking into carrying a weapon to supplement my measly pepper spray and whistle, lol.

Last edited by mikeSF; 03-14-2015 at 07:58 PM.
03-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #11

Buy used gear. Carry used gear.
03-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
we chased them down the street and around the corner where they had a driver in a getaway car waiting for them. Our friend lost about $8K worth of gear

I'm a big believer in concealed/open carry rights, Castle Doctrine, and "Stand Your Ground" laws (not to mention "needed killin" is a perfectly reasonable legal defense here in Tennessee) but that scenario is a great illustration of the downside of being armed if it spurs you be more confrontational. Being shot yourself, of course, is bad, but shooting somebody else is expensive. I'm sorry it's come to this in that great city of yours--it sounds as if your local politicians need to be introduced to a lamppost and short length of rope--but being armed calls for a pretty radical reconfiguration of the way you see yourself moving through the world.
03-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Just a warning. The last time I mentioned carrying a gun, I got flamed by all of those that fear guns.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 03-14-2015 at 05:34 PM.
03-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Stuff like this is why I wire my bags and straps.

Being crafty is an advantage when you're a photographer on a shoe string budget. I have a locking personal security system thing that I dreamed up and made up from heavy craft wire and felt material and other stuff that goes from bag to bag plus I always wire my straps and wear my bag cross my body. The cross body strap on my bag is wired too. My bags are not camera bags per se. My travel bags are oil skin, heavy military canvas, cowhide leather, and are mostly messenger style bags. You pretty much cannot slash my travel bag and take it and it would be darned hard to pick pocket it besides.

The wires, heavy duty carabiners and lobster clasps on my straps do the same thing for my cameras when I am using one. Short of putting a gun in my face and demanding it thieves will not be getting my gear. Even then it would take me a while to take it all off so they'd be waiting a long while for me to oblige. :P It does slow me down sometimes which can be a royal pain when I want to move fast to get a shot, but it's am equitable trade off. Better I miss a shot or two than I lose my gear.

I am surprised to see SF has gotten this bad. I used to walk all over it and I never worried too much about it. My wallet sometimes, but not my cameras. Then again I wasn't using an actual DSLR back then, only a larger Fuji P&S so maybe I just wasn't enough of a target. I hardly ever carried a tripod either. Tripods they attract unwanted attention in some places. When I first got my DSLR kit I got a Tamron system bag but I ditched it pretty quick. I don't like carrying bags that scream "Expensive camera inside!" My bling cameras they're pretty noticeable but they're not something people want to steal. All that Swarovsky those cameras are way too easily identified. People don't take them seriously and they don't want to take them off me usually either. My DSLR's those are a different story. I've always been pretty stealth when it comes to those, but that's over now. There's no way I can really hide a blinged out bright ruby red or white DSLR. I don't want to anyway. I like my "fun" DSLR's.

I think the K5II would attract thieves more actually because it's basic black and at the moment still has no bling. One of the reasons it will be getting some bling though is to make it less attractive to people who would take it. The less generic it is I think the less thieves tend to want it. A camera encrusted with crystals may look very silly to some, but it's also very hard to hock or sell online. Right now the bling on the DSLR's is removable but I probably will redo it and make it very permanent soon. The more customized my cameras are the better.

I'm not planning on selling any of them I don't think so it doesn't matter. I was wavering a bit on the K5II but I think I am likely going to keep it after all. After using it a bit I like it, even if it does look like every other DSLR out there. It's not nearly as sexy as my K-30's but it has options they don't and they do make a good working set the 3 bodies. I'm set for a long, long time with these.

I do keep a serial numbers list. I don't have homeowner's insurance for this place. My place is too old and it's junk. No one would mourn it's loss or pay me a dime for it. I've been looking into getting some kind of insurance on my kit now that it's pretty much complete. My whole life, my work, it's invested in my gear and replacing it would be very hard for me. But I don't know where to look really....

Last edited by magkelly; 03-14-2015 at 06:01 PM.
03-14-2015, 06:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
last weekend, my group of 7 photogs were at the painted ladies in Alamo Square and were preyed upon by 3 thugs
7 photographers? The thugs were bold. Weren't they worried about their faces, clothes, other identifying details being photographed?