Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice job! You definitely are on track to get good and you have some very nice shots and nice lighting. I think the area you can improve the most on is composition. Here are some suggestions:

1. I see what you are trying to do, but it's distracting. Portraits should be simple portrayals, generally, and the less artistic blurring, etc the better. That's just my opinion, but I think having the kids in there you are trying to make them part of the subject, but they are out of focus so it's disorienting.

2. Frame/ crop closer and put them somewhere with a clean background, so the tree isn't growing out of her head. It's a common mistake for novices (I'm just barely beginning myself so I struggle with this stuff too).
3. Needs a little more light on the man's face and the trees are still coming off her head.
4. Nice shot. I would frame it a little closer while shooting, or crop it a little closer in post.
5. Nice shot. Background is a bit busy... I know the setting was probably difficult but maybe you can find a place with an open background or a solid background with less trees.
6. Crop or frame a bit closer. But very nice.
7. Very nice
8. same as number 5.
The rest are very nice.

Cudos on your courage to go out and do this with a family! I still haven't tried and I''m a bit scared lol! I'm afraid of coming back with only bad images and wasting everyone's time.

03-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
Cudos on your courage to go out and do this with a family! I still haven't tried and I''m a bit scared lol! I'm afraid of coming back with only bad images and wasting everyone's time.
Thanks for your suggestions, I've been working to correct a few of the errors. But I sure don't think I'll make the mistake of a busy background again. I need to chose my photoshoot setting carefully. Also you have no idea how tense I was about being able to get a few good pictures. But the family is a good friend and I told them I'd love to do it for them for free and they were really patient with me. That really helped and after the first time, I'm not so scared anymore. My wife helped the people pose, so all the great poses are thanks toher . I have one more family who's agreed to do it, but probably only during summer.
03-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like all of the photos but I have to admit, I like the color on photo number 3 on the original post but not on the 2ed posting. My suggestion on that would be to place a white form core board as a reflector low and to the right of the couple to reflect light onto the lower part of the gentleman's face.

If I am guessing right you had a light to the right slightly behind the lady and a light to the left in front of the gentleman in photo 3. I am no expert but I think the slight over exposer on the lady might have been fixed by either turning the power on the strobe down one notch (full->7/8) or by closing your f stop by one click. Over all I like the pictures but number 3 was the one I noticed the most.
03-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't tried portraits yet, plan on practicing on my nephew. This post is helpful for me. I think your photos are nice, seems like you couldn't have practiced with a nicer family. Looks like they had fun.