Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

here's my lighting kit

http://www.wayfair.com/Square-Perfect-Digital-Video-Softbox-Lighting-Kit-281...FYNsfgodbrkAvw

I use a white sheet over a table because I like more room to move around than a smallish lightbox

I also will bump up exposure and contrast in PP to get a more high key look

Last edited by nomadkng; 05-06-2015 at 08:24 AM.
03-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Here's a close-up. Do you see it? There's some kind of bank light (I would guess an LED arrangement of some sort) directly over the camera and reflectors on the side and over the top.

[/URL][/IMG]
You're a genius! I didn't realize even while I was looking at the images. Does that mean the LED light panel works well enough for this small product shots? I'm pretty impressed if so because I doubted its efficiency when I saw the product. Great finding though!

---------- Post added 03-26-15 at 03:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
here's my lighting kit

http://www.wayfair.com/Square-Perfect-Digital-Video-Softbox-Lighting-Kit-281...id=75700375500

I use a white sheet over a table because I like more room to move around than a smallish lightbox

I also will bump up exposure and contrast in PP to get a more high key look
That is superb shot, nomadkng. I'll check the kit that you linked. Thanks!
03-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ychousa Quote
Does that mean the LED light panel works well enough for this small product shots?
First off...I'm not certain that's an LED panel. I'm just looking at the close-up, like you, and trying to guess what they used. But secondly...yeah, a light panel like that could work for small product shots. Hey...the product isn't going anywhere, so what do you care if it sits there for 1/250 vs 2 seconds? The only reason it would matter is if you were trying to hand-hold the shot or use a tripod. Regarding looking at the details....eh, it's something I learned long ago. My boss scheduled me to work a weekend session for a jewelry store. I spent about 5 hours listening to the director of the commercial argue with the engineers who were trying to set the exposure for the camera. After one such session, I said to myself, "There are millions of ads featuring jewelry. Surely all those folks don't go through the same cluster-f*ck we just did." This was in the days before the internet, so I pulled all the ads out of my Sunday paper that featured jewelry and did exactly what I just showed you. I looked really closely at what was reflected in the shiny parts of the jewelry and saw what they were doing. The next time I was booked onto one of those weekend shoots for that jewelry store, I stood silently aside while the director and the engineers screamed at each other. Then, I took 3 sheets of copy paper...creased two of them so I could make them stand up on the sides...and placed the third piece on top to complete a very crude light tent. Suddenly, I was a freakin' genius!! LOL LOL Whereas before every ring or bracelet was a struggle...suddenly we could run as many pieces of jewelry through as we had time for without any hassle. These days, it seems elementary (duh...why wouldn't you use a light tent?)...but back then, it was revolutionary. And really...I didn't do anything other than to copy what the best product guys were doing. I once heard a thing about how the Japanese went from being viewed as cheap, inferior products...to being Honda, Toyota, Mazda, etc... It said that their philosophy was, "...imitate....innovate...dominate!" It meant to copy what has been done before...figure out a way to do that better...then dominate the field.
03-27-2015, 12:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ychousa Quote
Hello, I'd like to get your opinions specifically about lightings to take product pictures like these ones. What kind of lightings would have been used? I'm familiar with continuous lighting, but these ones look like strobes/flashes might have been used (I might be wrong:-) Can anyone guess the lighting that might have been used? Also, if some less expensive (around $200) but effective equipment recommendation? I would highly appreciate your opinions. Thank you!
It is super easy to make a light box. For mine, I just cut out one side and the top of an empty box, lined the inside with white poster paper (glossy side out) and made one sheet curve up from the bottom to the back wall for a smooth backdrop. Then I covered the top opening with white fabric (to diffuse the light) and stuck a cheap work-light on top. Done.

03-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
First off...I'm not certain that's an LED panel. I'm just looking at the close-up, like you, and trying to guess what they used. But secondly...yeah, a light panel like that could work for small product shots. Hey...the product isn't going anywhere, so what do you care if it sits there for 1/250 vs 2 seconds? The only reason it would matter is if you were trying to hand-hold the shot or use a tripod. Regarding looking at the details....eh, it's something I learned long ago. My boss scheduled me to work a weekend session for a jewelry store. I spent about 5 hours listening to the director of the commercial argue with the engineers who were trying to set the exposure for the camera. After one such session, I said to myself, "There are millions of ads featuring jewelry. Surely all those folks don't go through the same cluster-f*ck we just did." This was in the days before the internet, so I pulled all the ads out of my Sunday paper that featured jewelry and did exactly what I just showed you. I looked really closely at what was reflected in the shiny parts of the jewelry and saw what they were doing. The next time I was booked onto one of those weekend shoots for that jewelry store, I stood silently aside while the director and the engineers screamed at each other. Then, I took 3 sheets of copy paper...creased two of them so I could make them stand up on the sides...and placed the third piece on top to complete a very crude light tent. Suddenly, I was a freakin' genius!! LOL LOL Whereas before every ring or bracelet was a struggle...suddenly we could run as many pieces of jewelry through as we had time for without any hassle. These days, it seems elementary (duh...why wouldn't you use a light tent?)...but back then, it was revolutionary. And really...I didn't do anything other than to copy what the best product guys were doing. I once heard a thing about how the Japanese went from being viewed as cheap, inferior products...to being Honda, Toyota, Mazda, etc... It said that their philosophy was, "...imitate....innovate...dominate!" It meant to copy what has been done before...figure out a way to do that better...then dominate the field.
Very intriguing story, TaoMaas, yeh, tha't certainly the way for any achiever to master his/her skills. imitate, innovate, and dominate.But some companies in certain countries go just imitate(or make a fake)->sell cheap, imitate another->sell cheap kind of route But they look like they're making tons of money from that practice.. Should we call it another biz strategy in this age? thanks for sharing your story!

---------- Post added 03-27-15 at 07:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
It is super easy to make a light box. For mine, I just cut out one side and the top of an empty box, lined the inside with white poster paper (glossy side out) and made one sheet curve up from the bottom to the back wall for a smooth backdrop. Then I covered the top opening with white fabric (to diffuse the light) and stuck a cheap work-light on top. Done.
I'll try it as my new project when I have time. It will be fun and exciting. Thanks for your comment!