Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fungus among us

In a fit of stupidity, I have purchased a lens from Ebay (Porst 55mm 1.2) listed as having some fungus. I should have realized that the price was too good. I'm gathering that cleaning is possible, but don't feel capable of dissassembling a lens. Does anyone know of lens repair services that are reliable and cost effective?

03-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
In a fit of stupidity, I have purchased a lens from Ebay (Porst 55mm 1.2) listed as having some fungus. I should have realized that the price was too good. I'm gathering that cleaning is possible, but don't feel capable of dissassembling a lens. Does anyone know of lens repair services that are reliable and cost effective?
Cleaning is not enough sometimes. The coatings on the lens elements can be eaten away by the fungus.
03-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still it is a 55 f/1.2 surely worth a little investigation.

Try Eric: Home Click the email link and ask him. Might send a picture. Be very clear on precisely what lens it is. He is not always fast on email so wait a few days. Very reliable, very fair.
03-31-2015, 06:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for Eric. I've used him a number of times, and if anyone knows what can be done and what to do, it's him.

03-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the advice. I'll probably blast it with a UV lamp when I get it then see how it works. From what I've read this lens has more than its share of challenges.