Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good News Katz Eye Optics bought out

I recently posted that it looked like Katz Eye (the focus screen people) were going out of business. I just visited their website and it looks like they've been bought out and will soon be back in business. Below is a cut and paste of the announcement on their website. Note that even tho it is past 3/30 online ordering is not yet available but probably soon.

"Dear Fellow Photographer,

Great News!! Recent negotiations have proved successful and I am pleased to announce that KatzEye™ Optics will be acquired by a premier manufacturer of microstructured optics. This strategic collaboration will leverage the best skills of both companies and will allow KatzEye™ Optics to continue to support the photographic community. We are so pleased that instead of having to close the doors, a way was found for KatzEye™ products to continue to be available, and even to expand the product line to more camera models. Exciting times!

Online ordering will be available very soon, as quickly as systems can be merged, hopefully no later than 30 March 2015. All orders placed before this announcement are being processed currently and will ship no later than 26 March 2015. Our customer support will of course continue to be available throughout the transition. If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us

Thank you for your patronage and your trust, and we look forward to continuing to be part of your photographic experience!

Warmest Regards,
The KatzEye™ Optics Team"

NaCl(good to see them continuing, I'm a big fan of theirs)H2O

04-01-2015, 01:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Great to hear that they're sticking around.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are so right Adam, I have had very good service from them for a long time. They even re-calibrated the AF on my K-5 when I sent it in for a warranty repair. It came back with a definite back focus problem that they fixed quickly and relatively cheaply. Plus all their great focus screens.

NaCl(satisfied customer since K-10 days)H2O
04-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Good to know they are back from the dead... just ready to start production for the Pentax FF bodies.

04-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is indeed great news!!
06-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
deal fell thru

Unfortunately the deal for Katz Eye Optics fell thru. The company is no mas.

NaCl(bummer, was looking for a split image screen for my new K-S2)H2O
06-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
just ready to start production for the Pentax FF bodies
So now what... it would appear I'm to be getting FF from Pentax at last, but no fast, bright, split prism screens for my "Ladies" to play with.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-08-2015 at 03:25 PM.
06-09-2015, 02:45 AM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

So now what... it would appear I'm to be getting FF from Pentax at last, but no fast, bright, split prism screens for my "Ladies" to play with.

I think maybe ebay and cheap, chinese knockoffs are the only other option? It would be interesting. I would have liked to have had one of these to play around with (after acquiring a film body with a split prism and seeing how easy it made manual focus) but the pricing was just too high for me. Which also probably made their company not so profitable.. people like me.. and AF systems improving with manual focus lenses disappearing from the norm.
06-09-2015, 07:11 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
chinese knockoffs are the only other option?
I'm of course making the assumption here... that the new FF Pentax will have the interchangeable screens facility.
06-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Focusing Screen is still in business. Just get a screen from them. They have a number of different options.
06-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Focusing Screen is still in business
Thanks for that link, this may well be the route to go once we know more of the FF spec.
06-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for that link, this may well be the route to go once we know more of the FF spec.
For FF, there's always the possibility that they'll end up using the same size focusing screen as the LX et al.
06-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
there's always the possibility that they'll end up using the same size focusing screen as the LX
That would be good, I've got a couple of fast (sharper prism) circles, for use with the "Ladies".

Pentax info... SA-23 Microprism/Matte. Similar to the SA-21, but with sharper prism angles to aid focusing with high-speed (fl.2–f/2.8) lenses.

Also Beattie Intenscreen would then fit too.