Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What the history of camera sales looks like with Smartphones included

Interesting Reading from PetaPixel.

If you want to see a graphic illustration of the effect of smartphones on the industry the two charts are - alarming.

04-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting but not entirely unexpected. If only camera manufacturers had foreseen this and moved toward melding the technologies. Oh wait, Samsung does. Not well, but they at least are making an attempt.
04-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Certainly eye opening but I don't know about alarming.

Hard to tell from the graph exactly but it looks as if D-SLR sales have held fairly steady. Yes, down from peak years but remember this is production numbers not sold numbers, and both Nikon and Canon have been dumping inventory from those over production years. And if you look back a few years actually D-SLR is doing just fine as a trend. Also mirrorless is holding steady. Not going to argue one year over another that is too short to really show a trend.

Obviously compact camera market had collapsed, but not died. And I would suggest it will likely steady out at those numbers or decline slightly but the plunge is finished. Lots of people used to buy cheap compact cameras for occasional use and that need is easily filled with a smartphone or tablet camera. Even better because of the connectivity. But some people do like a pocket camera and they will still continue to buy. Not everyone has a smartphone, or even a cell phone.

And yes, smartphone production has soared but that is not really telling us anything. How, many people have a smartphone and do not use the camera? How many people have a smartphone because they need a phone and use the camera on it occasionally but prefer their D-SLR? How many people never bought a camera in their lives but now have a smartphone that just happens to also be a camera? How many people just got introduced to photography because their phone came with a camera?

It looks to me that the 'enthusiast' or 'interested amateur' markets are doing just fine. If you are into photography as a hobby or are serious about your images of family then you are still buying a real camera. If all you are interested in is family or travel snapshots, post them on Facebook and never actually manage the images on the computer then a smartphone is the way to go.

And the real question is: Over the next 10 years how many smartphone camera users can camera companies convert to a real camera? That market looks to be huge. Dwarfing anything that has happened before. If 5% of those smartphone users can be converted it exceeds the number of real cameras produced last year. That is an opportunity waiting to be met.
04-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And the real question is: Over the next 10 years how many smartphone camera users can camera companies convert to a real camera? That market looks to be huge. Dwarfing anything that has happened before. If 5% of those smartphone users can be converted it exceeds the number of real cameras produced last year. That is an opportunity waiting to be met.
I've said many times that Canon and Nikon expanded facilities and production to capture the conversion from analog to digital ILC's, and now they're carrying unused capacity. Ricoh might just be lucky Pentax missed the entire party.

04-10-2015, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Somebody, tell those guys about logarithmic plotting, the last graph is horrendous.
04-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Not alarming; quantities of dslr sold was double of film cameras, since the population did not double, that simply means that 1 DSLR out of 2 was sold to a wrong person. Sorry, most of what I see on flickr is garbage, a lot of photos that I would not even dare pressing the shutter. It's not about quantity of photos without no value, it's about taking the time to take beautiful meaningful photos.
04-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've said many times that Canon and Nikon expanded facilities and production to capture the conversion from analog to digital ILC's, and now they're carrying unused capacity. Ricoh might just be lucky Pentax missed the entire party.
Agree. Ricoh is in a good spot. They are in a position to see the trends and predict things a lot better going forward without the overhead of excess capacity. They can be profitable on far lower unit sales than the other guys.

The smart play here is finding the smartphone snapper that is dissatisfied with smartphone results. That market makes the "legacy k-mount user base" market seem kinda unimportant doesn't it?

I have personally helped two young friends (my son's friends actually) buy D-SLRs in the last year. Both have a cell phone glued to one ear and text constantly. Both were using cell phone cameras, a lot. And both were interested enough in photography to want to step up. The cell phone still goes everywhere but it is in addition to the camera not in place of it. And that's how I see this playing out. The smartphone will largely replace the compact camera for casual users, but it will be seen as a smartphone camera, not a real camera for many who will also continue to buy a d-slr.

Maybe I'm on an optimistic plane today but I think the camera market looks amazingly bright.

04-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
it's about taking the time to take beautiful meaningful photos.
Couldn't agree more -
- Now all I have to do is figure out what is a "beautiful" and "meaningful" photo.
04-10-2015, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I like pictures, so I'm OK with people making them any way that's available to them. Growing up, all my childhood memories were captured with disposable 35mm cameras. My family had an occasional 35mm point-and-shoot, but the convenience of the disposable was overwhelming. Those photographs are NOT technically excellent, but the memories are precious. It's the same deal with camera phones. No, the images are not as "nice" as those from my K-mount cameras. But I'd rather somebody take the shot and capture the moment (and yeah, share it immediately on Facebook so I can enjoy it, too!), than to not have the image at all.

Camera-people like us, photo-snobs, we enjoy the technique of creating the image, sometimes too much. For me, sometimes it's good to remember that enjoying the memory is most important. I'm down with camera phones, because it makes capturing the memory super simple, so anyone can do it, and we can get right to enjoying it. :-)
04-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote

Camera-people like us, photo-snobs, we enjoy the technique of creating the image, sometimes too much. For me, sometimes it's good to remember that enjoying the memory is most important.
Is it Either/Or, SeveralSnakes?

Photo-snobs have phones too! :-)
04-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Is it Either/Or, SeveralSnakes?

Photo-snobs have phones too! :-)
I know! And I feel guilty whenever I grab a quick snap with my smartphone, thinking of all the money and effort I've put into the (d)SLRs! I shouldn't feel that way, but there ya go.
04-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Sorry, most of what I see on flickr is garbage, a lot of photos that I would not even dare pressing the shutter. It's not about quantity of photos without no value, it's about taking the time to take beautiful meaningful photos.
Maybe that is the viewpoint of an engineer that looks for exacting results and uses demanding requirements to get them. I love gorgeous photos as much as the next guy/girl.......but you are overlooking one of the oldest adages on record...."beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

I've seen this often, once when I had a particularly lovely shot with gorgeous bokeh....and an old Granny commented that it was beautiful...but too bad I didn't get the background in focus!

Yes, there is junk, I shoot a hell of a lot of it myself. I call them memories, reminders of the past, ticklers of the mind, and some of them are the most cherished photos I own. If you only shoot for perfection, you may be a great photographer, but you will miss out on life and the joy of a shot someone will cherish, imperfections and all!

Regards!

Pick it apart...it's easy to do..but I can assure you someone cherishes this photo. It was a quick and unplanned snap...could easily have been deleted. If you knew the rest of the story you would know why it is now cherished.
04-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Last night I attended a formal reception for major donors to a non-profit org at which the featured guest was a well-regarded, elderly stage actor. He is to perform solo on stage at a charity event tomorrow evening. Small as it is, my Q7 / 01 just doesn't fit in a dinner jacket.

But an iPhone6 does.