Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a 1.5TB external hard drive, copy all full folders to it soon as the camera rolls over to 9999 filenams. The K30 automatically names them IMGP0000 through 9999. I name the folder on my laptop K30_00 for the first batch, when the camera hits 9999 I go to K30_01. When saving pictures to a different folder, I keep the original unchanged in the original folder, that gets backed up. when I save an edited photo I name it from IMGP2001 for example, to IMGP62001. (I'm currently in folder K30_06) That makes the original easy to find once it's on the external drive. The filename tells me what folder to look in.

The folder I save them to is a generic folder, I use it for images I post online, once uploaded they go into separate folders for birds, flowers, landscapes etc. Those are backed up periodically to the external drive as well, originally by copying the whole folders, then copying anything that's not already there one folder at a time. Sounds more time consuming than it really is. I can set the folder of original files to copy and go to bed. Next morning it's done. Separate folders for birds, flowers etc usually don't take more than a few minutes. Most of those files are already resized to 1024x768 for web viewing, small files.

I also have an account on a Print On Demand site, those are saved full size and also copied to a separate folder for backup.

I use IrfanView for 90% of my editing, it's small and fast, does most of what I need for basic editing, including RAW files, which I stopped using long ago, I hated it. 20 minutes of editing per photo, sometimes more, for no better results than I get in 2 minutes shooting JPEG and setting the camera to do a good job to begin with. Had to tweak every little thing, sharpen the crap out of them, I went back to JPEG after about 2000 shots. A couple of minutes and I'm done, if I shot 200 RAW shots I'd be editing for 2 or 3 days. 200 JPEG takes me 45 minutes or so total.

Anything not a keeper is deleted AFTER it's transferred to the computer. I never delete anything from the camera, the LED screen on the camera may fool me, I want to see it at 100% resolution on the computer before I touch it. Many I keep aren't great, but the out of focus and motion blur is gone.Only the better ones get shown or even kept.

I tried CD and DVD a few years ago, after burning about 50 I decided it was time to get an external drive, I had barely scratched the surface...My external is never transported anywhere, I have a laptop size one I can take on road trips in a padded case, I don't even think about taking the main backup drive out for a bumpy car ride.The laptop drive is 60GB, that handles anything I usually need for a couple of weeks on the road. Usually it's only a day or two...

I learned my lesson about backups long ago...being a computer technician, I've built over 200 of them and repaired at least twice that many. I went to Las Vegas with just a small USB drive, had a point and shoot and a laptop. Dumped a half cup of coffee down the laptop keyboard one morning and around 1000 pictures taken between Texas and Vegas were gone...Got online and got lucky, found the exact same laptop at a deal of a price, got an external hard drive enclosure for a laptop drive. (same one I use now) Hooked it all up and found out I got really lucky, it didn't damage the hard drive at all, my pictures were right there. Spent a day copying everything to the external, never leave home without it these days...I got the same model laptop so the hard drive would swap between the two without confusing Windows over motherboard drivers. Since I already had a lot of stuff on it, the old drive went into the new laptop, the drive from it was formatted and used as backup. All turned out well...I've always made sure I have a backup drive with me on a road trip since then...Now I have a couple of options, the external or a 64GB USB drive, we're planning a couple of trips and I might use both...

04-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Odd how editing raw files takes so much time... I usually only take a couple of seconds, maybe a minute per photo, it can take longer occasionally, but usually no. Being able to sync settings is also a huge time saver. Couldn't do all of that with JPEG.

As for backup... I do think cloud backup (CrashPlan, Backblaze etc.) makes sense, ideally in addition to having a physical copy on another drive. That way IF say computer and drive get stolen you still have an offsite backup. Backups that require you to do something regularly are a bad idea... most people just forget doing it, don't do it often enough, ... One nice thing that CrashPlan offers is versioning... that way you can always go back to an older version of a file, for example. Say your Lightroom catalogue. Relying completely on something like CrashPlan is a bad idea though, as they can lose files too, things can go wrong...

Just having old files on an external drive (as someone here suggested) is a bad idea. You may plug in that drive, and it won't work anymore.