Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Many parks have bird feeders in viewing areas, including a couple I know that are run by conservation groups. A lot of people cultivate plants that attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Even though it's supposedly illegal, a lot of hunters bait deer. Conservation foods encourage bird feeding. I really don't have an opinion, but I see people talk out of both sides of their mouths, it's only OK if they do it. I saw a big debate on a birding site about some non camera toting birders not sharing locations of owls with photographers, because the photographers bother the owls. It's funny how a photographer standing in the same place as a non photographer is bothering the bird by firing a camera, but a the other person talking loudly doesn't.

04-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Thanks. Well worth the read!
04-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting comments.

I just returned from FeatherFest, a major birding festival in Galveston, Texas. In more than one photo workshop I attended, there were discussions on using lures or baits to bring birds to specific areas where one can pre-focus. An example was to use a ball of fluff (not a live mouse) to fool a harrier, allowing a photo of an attacking raptor from a camera that is pre-focused and tripod mounted.

Another example was to aim and focus about 6 inches away from a hummingbird feeder as it is a common behavior of hummingbirds to sip and then back up about 6 inches and hover momentarily before going back for another taste. The result is a great photo of a vertical hummer with wings widespread; so much more dramatic than the standard bird at the feeder photo.

No one was advocating altering the normal activity or behavior of birds, but using birds' typical behaviors to simply trying to lure them into a specific place for photo ops.

It seems to me, that, barring specific local ordinances, it is a personal decision.
04-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not a fan of disturbing nature when I shoot.

I won't bait. I won't scare that heron away to catch it in flight.

But I am not averse to you doing it.

04-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Sorry everyone - there is myth and facts. Some of the ideas about handing out food is myth.
There has been some research done on feeding wildlife and most of it shows that harm is not measurable. I've worked in zoos and seen animals being fed a variety of foods. Actually for many birds, bread is a healthy addition.
What can't be distinguished is sick and injured birds actually who survive only because humans are offering food hand outs. So it is relatively common to see such birds looking for handouts.

Where handing out regular food is an issue because it attracts the least desirable animals including rats and mice and what ever feral birds live in the location.

For those who want to panic about a few small morsels being put out, some urban birds (where I live as an example its feral turtle doves) get 50% of their diet from pet food being left outside. We are talking about tons of food each day.

Having said all of that in my film days my longest lens was 200mm. My advice is to look at the birds' behavious and then position yourself. In time you will get your photo (maybe)

From an ethical point of view disturbing nests and nesting and roosting birds is the biggest issue.

Last edited by Bob from Aus; 04-17-2015 at 10:59 PM.
04-17-2015, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

My neighbors feed the birds, I sneak up and take pics from the cover of my carport. It seems my vegetable garden baits the birds, I just set up a tripod and camera. The neighbors feeding the birds also attracts the cat from across the street. I caught Sergio stalking the feeders several times, I think the cat has no qualms about baiting.
04-18-2015, 05:21 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markdesmarais Quote
How about lawyers??
Lawyers are a no go. Politicians on the other hand....

---------- Post added 04-18-15 at 07:31 AM ----------

On a more serious note it all depends on what kind of animals they are. Bird feeders anyone? Millions of people have them. Hummingbird feeders, bird seed, whatever... there is no problem with this whatsoever.

Around here where I am from people put out automatic feeders and they also till and grow small plots for deer to feed on. This is for hunting and photography. Several places will take people on photography hunts where you camp out in a blind with a long lens.

That said it all depends on where you are at and what kind of animal it is. If you put something out to attract bears that for sure would be a no go. Especially if you are close to any kind of town.

What you want to avoid is interaction with the animals. It's not so much the food but rather them getting callous to cars and people or whatever.

04-18-2015, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Many parks have bird feeders in viewing areas, including a couple I know that are run by conservation groups. A lot of people cultivate plants that attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Even though it's supposedly illegal, a lot of hunters bait deer. Conservation foods encourage bird feeding. I really don't have an opinion, but I see people talk out of both sides of their mouths, it's only OK if they do it. I saw a big debate on a birding site about some non camera toting birders not sharing locations of owls with photographers, because the photographers bother the owls. It's funny how a photographer standing in the same place as a non photographer is bothering the bird by firing a camera, but a the other person talking loudly doesn't.
When I first got into bird photography I thought birders would have loved photographers. They do not. Birders tend to share a herd mentality and but the herd isn't always right. I do think they have some valid points.

A month or two ago I got a nice photo of a screech owl out in the open. I had just walked up to the group of several people and I just happened to have a nice angle on it when it flew out of its hole in a palm tree. What I didn't know is someone tied a small rope to a nearby tree and used it to shake it. It apparently scared the owl out of its hole. The owl went back into the tree and moments later the tree started moving. I asked, "Why is this tree moving?" The photographer revealed the reason and took the rope down and walked away.

It took me a few seconds to form an opinion about it and I would have to agree with the birders on this one. I would not resort to such tactics and either coincidentally or not the owl left the hole a day or two later and no one else was able to get any shots after that day.

On subject of baiting raptors, when you look at a photo stream with a series of raptors coming at an angle toward or near the camera with talons extended, it isn't to hard to figure out who is doing the baiting. And as i say, you may find evidence of cloning on or around the talons if you look closely at some of those shots.

As I said, I am not strongly against it but I get annoyed when people praise these photo streams. I strongly believe that it is not "Wildlife Photography".
04-18-2015, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Sure...I feed birds and squirrels...about 200 pounds of feed a month. I'd love to stop, but the squirrels would burn my house down if I did.

Maybe I feed them too much?

They sometimes fall in love with an ear of corn..."Oh baby! Let me nibble on your ear!"

Birds have to eat too...might as well be at my place!

Regards!
04-18-2015, 04:30 PM - 3 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

I don't have strong opinions, but I have opinions about the photos taken when bait is used. They aren't as interesting, and I don't want to see them. Including feeders. Ho hum.

Feeding bears ends with a dead bear.

I would prefer to get to know the life cycles of the animal, find a way to get close, and enjoy watching it for as long as possible without disturbing it, probably getting a few shots in the process. If someone gets a perfect shot of the same species by baiting, good for them. A shot resulting from care and knowledge, along with a bit of luck has a story attached, and is far more valuable in my eyes.

The guy shaking the tree needs a good shake himself. His actions will end up making it illegal to get near enough to them to photograph.
04-18-2015, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I would prefer to get to know the life cycles of the animal, find a way to get close, and enjoy watching it for as long as possible without disturbing it, probably getting a few shots in the process. If someone gets a perfect shot of the same species by baiting, good for them. A shot resulting from care and knowledge, along with a bit of luck has a story attached, and is far more valuable in my eyes.

The guy shaking the tree needs a good shake himself. His actions will end up making it illegal to get near enough to them to photograph.
With that, I also enjoy the challenge. You win when you got the shot without disturbing the subject in its natural habitat. I don't care if it takes me 45mins - 1day, and many failed attempts to get one good shot. That's what makes it fun.

I like following tracks through the woods, learning the subjects habits and frequented locations, and just generally watching them do their own thing.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 04-18-2015 at 05:26 PM.
04-18-2015, 05:46 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoHeron Quote
First all, bread for ducks or any other wild bird is harmful to their health. It also makes them dependent on humans for food, causing them not to migrate. When I photograph wildlife I do it naturally without any enticements.
I follow the same principles.
04-19-2015, 12:44 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Nice read.
The link in the stile test brings to a of a Chinese piece about posed animal picture disguised as natural behaviour is even more disturbing...
04-19-2015, 02:35 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Depends upon the animal I wish to bait. Handing a rabbit a veggie tidbit or two, sharing some tuna with a neighborhood Tom, throwing out some birdseed and waiting to see what birds come along, no problem. I do not however bait animals like this! This guy Atif Saeed, he has balls of steel, gulp...

Moments after this photo was taken, the lion pounced right towards the photographer - Lost At E Minor: For creative people

https://www.facebook.com/AtifSaeedFineArtPhotography
04-19-2015, 05:42 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Well I stepped in a fire ant mound yesterday, I was the one hopping/ standing on one leg and then the other doing a frantic ant brush away dance. The Indonesian photographer person could of got some amazing 'human on one leg' shots. Never during the disturbing of the ant mound did any fire ants stand on one leg but they can change human behavior without baiting and make us do it. That's just my observation. ��