Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #1

Baiting animals

Are there any stigmas attached to baiting animals to get them closer. IE bread crumbs for ducks. I was just wondering if this is taboo or not. Sorry I this is in the wrong section.

04-17-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
Forum Member

First all, bread for ducks or any other wild bird is harmful to their health. It also makes them dependent on humans for food, causing them not to migrate. When I photograph wildlife I do it naturally without any enticements.
04-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since in my urban area the creatures are used to human activity there is no need to bait as they are not as wary.

In true wild areas there is no substitute for good long glass ($$$).

I prefer not to bait, but will take advantage of natural or established feeding and nesting locations.

The bird forums will have long discussions on this subject as well as the use of recorded bird calls to attract birds. http://www.birdforum.net/

Personally I prefer to enjoy the outdoors and if I am lucky and see a critter and happen to get a nice shot then it is an even better day.
04-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Staking out live goats to attract Tyrannosaurus Rex is just wrong.

04-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pt1911 Quote
Are there any stigmas attached to baiting animals to get them closer. IE bread crumbs for ducks. I was just wondering if this is taboo or not.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
04-17-2015, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
How about lawyers??
04-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feeding animals is simply illegal in some places. For example, in NY State it is illegal to feed deer or Wild Turkeys. If your bird feeder happens to be at a level the deer can reach you can say that you were feeding birds, and the deer just happened to eat all the seed...

04-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by markdesmarais Quote
How about lawyers??
You wanna attract 'em or use 'em as bait?
04-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoHeron Quote
First all, bread for ducks or any other wild bird is harmful to their health. It also makes them dependent on humans for food, causing them not to migrate. When I photograph wildlife I do it naturally without any enticements.
Yep - we have those signs at the park/pond that people ignore.
04-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by markdesmarais Quote
How about lawyers??

Its also dangerous. Especially if you have to go to the PortAPotty!
04-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Seems to be a sliding scale - not many people would have trouble with feeders to attract birds for photography, but many would object to releasing live mice to attract owls.

Ducks attracted to bread crumbs are mostly Mallards which have their own qualities and are OK for practice but after a while they are not as interesting or challenging as their "wilder" cousins.

Normhead has posted pics of a road killed moose that was set out near a viewing platform on a frozen lake in Algonquin Park by Ontario's Ministry of Natural Resources. It attracted wolves and ravens and eagles I think - the Ministry don't seem to have a problem with the principle of it.
04-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Baiting Raptors

Absolutely there as been a stigma attached to some forms of baiting birds. I would have to say the vast majority of Snowy Owl and Great Grey Owl photos were done by baiting them with pet store mice. If your camera misses the action no problem, just get another mouse and throw it on the snow.

I've seen evidence of other raptors being baited as well. I have seen sloppy cloning in photos such as unusual repeating patterns in the snow where they probably cloned the mouse out or just a little bit of fur left over. I have seen a photo where it looked like the owl landed on the snow multiple times before a shot was taken. I've been following bird photography so long I begin to see things most people don't.

There was a man in Canada who posts on flickr. I was just looking for his discussion on baiting Snowy Owls and how a magazine wanted to feature his photos across Europe. He never felt comfortable with the baiting in the first place. One day he repudiated his own work revealing these practices.

He also said in the real world there will always be lazy baiters who bait owls near their vehicles. Consequently, the owls learn to associate people with food and cars with food. Saying some of these owls have been known to fly in front of moving vehicles endangering themselves.

I'm not strongly against baiting birds. I personally would not do it and never have but I strongly believe other people should be aware of what is going on.
04-17-2015, 06:17 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found this interesting piece. https://lodgetrailmedia.wordpress.com/2014/02/11/of-mice-and-owls/
04-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #14

Original Poster
I started this thread with a semi tongue in cheek attitude. I never even thought of using life mice to photograph birds. I just remember feeding ducks as a kid.
04-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My position is somewhere in the middle. I have used a have used poultry feed to get geese up close but as a rule I don't feed birds.

As to the authenticity issue, I agree with Psychdoc.

I guess feeding birds to photograph them sits in the broader issue of feeding wild birds. Unfortunately, "don't feed the birds" signs don't work. Encouraging people to feed birds small amounts of nutritious food instead might work. Poultry feed, peas, chopped fruit or corn in small amounts (ie: snack sized, not meal sized) is a hell of a lot less harmful for ducks than throwing half a loaf of stale bread to them.

People hunger for connection with the wild and feeding the ducks is important for many people. I'm all for taking a harm reduction approach - recognizing people will do it and trying to encourage them to do it in the least harmful way.