Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2015, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How do you know you are growing as a photographer?

Today, I came up with this characterization: you look at your photos and think they all suck. All you see is what you should have done to make it better.

Maybe that's harsh, but in the course of my loonnnng academic career, I learned that it is necessary that the harshest critic of your work be yourself. That's really the only path to mastery.

04-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I use the star ratings in Lightroom. By year, the number of 4 star photos I've taken:

2006 - 28 (I started early November this year, I had an 'awesome' 2 months)
2007 - 110
2008 - 39
2009 - 11
2010 to 2012 - 2 each year.

I haven't hit 4 stars since, and I think this demonstrates great progression on my part. I'm happy to say from the outset I was good enough that I've never managed to take a 5-star photo.
04-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
All you see is what you should have done to make it better.
When you can see what you should have done you know you are better than you were when you took the shot.

I think of it as a journey. I will never be satisfied, I will always try to grow, I will always be my harshest critic. Every time I gain a plateau thinking I have really improved, all I see is another mountain that was not visible until I climbed the last one.

Until you have achieved a certain level of mastery you cannot see the things that you were previously doing wrong. And only when you have achieved the next level will you see what you are doing now that is wrong.
04-19-2015, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I recently dabbled with joining a photography club…..a guest accredited judge grades up to 5 shots per person each month…..scored out of 10…..has confirmed to me a photo that I'm happy with scores 9/10 80-90% of the time. Sometimes gets a 10 (mostly judge related in what they favour). A good fun or interesting shot, but not technically perfect, that I'd post on this site for some reason, would be an 8 at a minimum generally.

04-19-2015, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You are growing when your best stuff is better than it was.
04-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

For me it's looking at the picture and knowing what part of it sucked... but more importantly knowing what I did right. I have had several times when I took shots while intentionally looking for certain things.

For example I have been obsessed with light and I have read a ton about it. So one day I went out looking and just waiting for the perfect 'golden moment'. My composition and all that wasn't all that great and my subject matter wasn't anything to write home about...but.... but the light was just awesome. That one series of pictures... the lighting came out great.

I had such an 'ah ha!' moment. I was staring at my computer screen all by myself but I did a little fist pump. To me those little successes like that are a hallmark of progression.

As I get more and more into it, over time, at some point the stars might align for me where I can put all the elements together.
04-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Entering competitions/challenges on this site and other places is one way of getting feedback from others. You might have to filter the feedback for what is constructive and helpful. A "like" is nice to receive but a few words as to why it was liked or even disliked for that matter, is a lot more helpful. You should be able to judge progress by the types of comments received.

04-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Fewer shots, more keepers. Not happening...
04-19-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Fewer shots, more keepers. Not happening...
hahaha!! ditto that
04-20-2015, 01:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I shoot portrait and I aim for quality of Michael Woloszynowicz's photo. And of course I have a long way to go ^^
Aim for the best and you'll see your improvements
04-20-2015, 01:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

When I am more critical of my own photos in almost every aspect (buildings and walls are straight and sea horizons have to be level, lens distortions etc.)....when I am also not finding the photos (especially flash photos) from wedding-pros appealing to me any more as if I can do better.

Last edited by aleonx3; 04-20-2015 at 01:54 AM.
04-20-2015, 01:40 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

If you read these pages the only way to get better is to buy more lenses. Each new lens will bring you incrementally closer to noticeable improvement which is always tantalisingly just one new lens away.
04-20-2015, 01:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Today, I came up with this characterization: you look at your photos and think they all suck. All you see is what you should have done to make it better.
There, there, don't worry. It used to be said your worst photos are your first 1000 photos. Back in the film days. Now its probably your first 10000, with digital!
Either way, the best thing to do is to diagnose your photos. For example:
What is wrong? It is not sharp.
Why is it not sharp? Low shutter speed? Misfocused? Shaky hands? Shutter button press too jerky, strong?
What can I do next time to avoid this? Higher shutter speed, learn more about AF, take more time with the posture, stance?
And you will see improvements over time. Just takes some practice.

Now sure, I have taken way over 10000 photos and they are much better than they used to be. Sharper, better focus, better PP and so on. But are they good? Meh, still plenty of boring, bland, empty shots. Its a journey that doesn't end. The trick of course is to only show the good photos. Magicians don't show all their failed tricks. Singers don't show how to sing the song wrong. Same with photography, practice and show the good results, learn from the bad ones

Edit: About gear.. to some extent gear is important. These days you can find some really good gear for low prices, though. Something like DA 35mm will let you grow more than the DA L 18-55mm, in my opinion. Not to say the DA L has no uses - sure it does. The best lens is the one that you have. One thing to keep in mind though is that each piece of gear takes some getting used to.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-20-2015 at 02:15 AM.
04-20-2015, 02:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

You look back at your keeps of 2 or 3 years in the past and if you think you'll instantly delete 95% of them today, you're on the right path.
04-20-2015, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

How do you know you are growing as a photographer?
When I stopped asking such questions of myself.