Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife is very happy with the little K-r + DA 35 2.4 setup I got for her. it's much smaller than our K20D and she loves the image quality she gets from that combo. I had gotten her a point and shoot a while earlier but she doesn't ever use that now. The K-r is very small and light and with the "plastic fantastic" lens on it, it weights very little. Got the camera for 150 on Craigslist but they usually sell for 200-250 I think.

04-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
K-3 is heavier than a K-5, which is heavier than a K50/K-30!

Get a used K30, which should give you both the options you need at the lowest price.
I thought about the 30/ 50 but the lack of a top LCD screen is a deal breaker for me. I always look at it and is a habit from my ist DS, which I have owned since new.
04-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
I thought about the 30/ 50 but the lack of a top LCD screen is a deal breaker for me. I always look at it and is a habit from my ist DS, which I have owned since new.
.....My man
04-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first DSLR was the K100D Super - with top LCD. I switched to the K50 with minimal effort. My only reason for saying this is the the K50 is light and small and weather sealed and has the sensor that the K5 has. It doesn't output 14 bit raw, it is not the same camera but it is a significantly lighter camera.

As for the Q - you can use your K mount lenses on it with the adapters (El Cheapo or Expensive depending on the need).
Just a thought also the size of the lenses that are native are tiny.

04-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The more I look at the Q7, the more intrigued by it I am. Especially now that the K mount lenses can be used. Costs of Q lenses are very reasonable it seems. The drawback id the adapters magnify the k mount lenses but if the Q lenses are decent, not too much of a difference there. Will there be more lenses available in the future? The K01 is appealing because, although the body seems to have been discontinued, it is still basically a slightly scaled down k mount camera. Is Pentax putting effort into the Q line? I could certainly see myself using the K7 and my wife using the Q.
04-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With an infant you are probably going to find that you have so much other gear to carry around that you will not want to always lug around a k-mount camera, no matter which model. Perhaps start thinking in these terms:

- Cell phone: for impromptu quick snapshots
- Q/MX-1/ or similar: More mobile and compact than a K, thow in a handbag, backup for the k-mount, but giving you more creative control and DOF control.
- K-mount: For more set piece portraits, days out to the zoo, etc. Where you need the full capability and lens selection.

P.S. I see you have the Tammy 28-75, which is a great zoom for infants and toddlers indoors and outdoors, especially when they are on the move. But it is a big boy no matter what body you put it on.

Last edited by caliscouser; 04-20-2015 at 09:21 AM.
04-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
With an infant you are probably going to find that you have so much other gear to carry around that you will not want to always lug around a k-mount camera, no matter which model. Perhaps start thinking in these terms:

- Cell phone: for impromptu quick snapshots
- Q/MX-1/ or similar: More mobile and compact than a K, thow in a handbag, backup for the k-mount, but giving you more creative control and DOF control.
- K-mount: For more set piece portraits, days out to the zoo, etc. Where you need the full capability and lens selection.

P.S. I see you have the Tammy 28-75, which is a great zoom for infants and toddlers indoors and outdoors, especially when they are on the move. But it is a big boy no matter what body you put it on.
Certainly. The Tamron takes some great shots and that is the reason I got it. It will be a lens that gets used a lot as she grows up. It works very well with the 7 as well. As long as I keep the ISO at a reasonable level, the 7 is great.

I have done more reading and decided that a Q7 is the next camera to get. It is diminutive in size making it insanely portable and from what I have seen, creates some fantastic and unique looking results.

The 7 will be just as you described it being, the times when I need a set up, like a trip to the zoo, show, or birthday type affair. The Q7 would make a great any other time camera, especially with the adapter.

Thanks guys, and gals.

04-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The more I look at the Q7, the more intrigued by it I am. Especially now that the K mount lenses can be used. Costs of Q lenses are very reasonable it seems. The drawback id the adapters magnify the k mount lenses but if the Q lenses are decent, not too much of a difference there. Will there be more lenses available in the future? The K01 is appealing because, although the body seems to have been discontinued, it is still basically a slightly scaled down k mount camera. Is Pentax putting effort into the Q line? I could certainly see myself using the K7 and my wife using the Q.
Read this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/285687-what-future-pentax-q-...-insiders.html

Summary - there is one new lens on the roadmap, and a new body promised. Unclear if more may come since roadmaps are flexible.
04-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Read this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/285687-what-future-pentax-q-...-insiders.html

Summary - there is one new lens on the roadmap, and a new body promised. Unclear if more may come since roadmaps are flexible.
I just realized that your profile picture looks like the original DEUS EX cover art, a coincidence?
Google Image Result for http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Deus_ex-cover.jpg
04-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, why a Q7 over a M4/3 body?
04-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, why a Q7 over a M4/3 body?
I mentioned it just to get the conversation going. M 4/3 is a rational alternative as well. There are K mount adapters available also which is one of the OP's concerns. The Nikon 1 would be another path but I'm not sure what limitations the K mount to Nikon 1 adapters have.
04-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I mentioned it just to get the conversation going. M 4/3 is a rational alternative as well. There are K mount adapters available also which is one of the OP's concerns. The Nikon 1 would be another path but I'm not sure what limitations the K mount to Nikon 1 adapters have.
The k mount working with whatever I get was a concern but based on the pricing of these lenses versus what I am used to make lens crossover less important. The M4/3 send like it would offer more resolution but at a slightly larger size. Granted, I would have to leave the Pentax world for Olympus (BH has some good pricing for entry level bodies) but it is what it is. There is a Q7 kit in the market right now and I am discussing it with the seller. My only concern with the Q series is the sharp drop off in quality past 5.6. It is quite bright around here.