Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2015, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #16
Huy
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
My comment may be off the topic. However, I often feel like I'm happy with the pictures I take with my Pentax cameras as much as my friends happy with their cameras.

04-29-2015, 01:54 PM - 2 Likes   #17

Once he'd said 'well, we shoot with what we can', I suspect I might have replied 'that's very true. But you've still managed to get some good snaps. Well done.'
04-29-2015, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I have never personally received a comment along those lines, such "Well, we shoot with what we can" BS would most likely come from posers rather than serious photographers, I guess. Therefore, it should be fairly easy to explode their snobbery by steering the conversation from the gear to the actual photography: "Gee, with such great gear as yours, you must have tons of gorgeous shots. Bet you share your best photography somewhere, or ... does it exist?"

I trust that would shut most of them up.

In actual experience, I have been taken to be a pro on several occasions - which I am definitely not - just because people watched me using a serious-enough-looking K-7 or K-3 in confident ways. In some of the earlier instances, with the kit lens mounted. Maybe they noticed me using that funny little lens hood thingy which only pro photographers have on their fancy lenses ...

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 04-29-2015 at 02:57 PM.
04-29-2015, 02:27 PM - 7 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

"Nice camera. I started with one of those, too".

04-29-2015, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gear whores and fanboys are the bottom feeders in the photographic community. So much time and energy spent on arguing the minutia of features, specs and measurements. A really amazing photographer is more interested in light, composition, emotion and self improvement than anything else. Oddly enough, those people are often the ones who share their works and inspire others with their passion and insights.

Imagine if the same stupid debates went on with musical instruments? "Well, you don't play a Bosendorfer, just a Steinway, so I guess you just have to play with what you can." A really good pianist could sit down at budget piano and play the most amazing music. Ever seen Jimi Hendrix's guitar? It was a bashed up run of the mill strat and well, his music speaks for itself.

I'm sure there are countless inspired and amazing photos that were taken over decades with the lowly Pentax K-1000
04-29-2015, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd just shrug it off but I'm not a confrontational person. I've had curiosity but never disdain or disparaging remarks toward my gear and I'd rather the images do the talking.
04-29-2015, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rfaucher Quote
Gear whores and fanboys are the bottom feeders in the photographic community. So much time and energy spent on arguing the minutia of features, specs and measurements. A really amazing photographer is more interested in light, composition, emotion and self improvement than anything else. Oddly enough, those people are often the ones who share their works and inspire others with their passion and insights.

Imagine if the same stupid debates went on with musical instruments? "Well, you don't play a Bosendorfer, just a Steinway, so I guess you just have to play with what you can." A really good pianist could sit down at budget piano and play the most amazing music. Ever seen Jimi Hendrix's guitar? It was a bashed up run of the mill strat and well, his music speaks for itself.

I'm sure there are countless inspired and amazing photos that were taken over decades with the lowly Pentax K-1000
In music that is reserved for audiophiles.

04-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
"Nice camera. I started with one of those, too".
ROFL. Perfect response.
04-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
ROFL. Perfect response.
I can't take credit for it - it was from the other thread on the subject. I usually mutter "micro genitals" under my breath...
04-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #25
CDW
Site Supporter

I can't count the number of times I've been asked what camera I shoot with or whether I shoot with Canon or Nikon. My general response, unless the individual asking was extremely rude, has been to say "I've shot with many different cameras over the years, ranging from large and medium format film to digital and now digital medium format".
Quite frequently, and somewhat surprisingly, the majority have no clue about digital medium format and then ask if Canon or Nikon make the camera. I say no, it's a Pentax and Nikon and Canon don't make cameras with sensors that large. And then I will add that in smaller formats I've recently shot Pentax K5s and K3s. Frequently, the individual doesn't know how to react or what to ask because their original intent was to come into my gallery hoping to achieve some reinforcement for their buying decision.
04-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys.

As most people have suggested, I just let it brush off my shoulder. It didn't bother me a bit and certainly wasn't worth an iota getting into a “stick-measuring” competition over it. Besides, these are actually nice people and just got me off guard with their comments. For anyone wondering, the “pro” guy who did the studio pictures didn't sell much of his work. A handful of students only, out of at least fifty students total. I've heard people commenting on how expensive his package was but photos weren't that good. I actually felt kind of sorry for him at the end.

I'm fairly new to the dslr world in comparison to other members here. I chose Pentax (K-x when it was introduced) because I did my research, read tons of reviews and comparisons of relevant brand and models, lenses, weigh my options and evaluate my needs. Pentax always came out on top at every angle for me and never regretting the decision.

I love my K5 and very nearly pulled the trigger on the K5IIs when it dropped to $496. Held back after the announcement of the full-frame. Skipped the K3 as well but the 3II, is “enticing”.

My wife is toying about the idea of photography and got her a used K-r. My 9 year old is showing interest as well, got a second used k-r for him (he doesn't know yet). Will I continue to shoot my Pentax K5 (and K-01, DA18-135, DA35 and DA* lenses)? Absolutely!

Last edited by K57XR; 04-29-2015 at 08:33 PM.
04-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #27

Just say "Oh?" and walk away.
04-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

It *sounds* like he was saying "I can afford the best." At that point, the guy is more toxic than camera brand fanboy. He's a flat out elitist . I'd have nothing to do with him.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Just say "Oh?" and walk away.
This is what I would have done as well. If he ever asked me for tips, I'd probably say something like, "Well, we shoot the way we know how."
04-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am the only Pentaxian regularly shooting live music around Adelaide. Most use Canon, closely followed by Nikon, and I see the occasional Sony in the pit and rarely a Leica. Most of the other shooters are interested in my choice, and receptive to my reasoning. There have never been any dismissive comments.
04-29-2015, 07:55 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I'd rather the images do the talking.
and yours do!!!!