Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2015, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
I bought a good heavy old tripod that dates before the digtal age.
If you're not hiking with your tripod, there are some great buys to be had online.

QuoteQuote:
From the film days I bought a wide angle adapter that fits on the front of a lens, and I love it. It works on my AF lenses well too. I also use screw on closeup lenses. Some people seem to think they're bad somehow, but they work great for me.
It depends upon what you want. Some of those wide angle adapters are of very good quality. They're not as good as a dedicated prime, but neither are they as expensive.

05-19-2015, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
@CMagex : Take a look in the mini-challenges forum for the "repurposed item" thread. There are several cheap solutions to common problems there. As for your camera bag with the broken strap, some cheap carabiners and a guitar strap might fix that issue. If the 50mm f/2 lens you have that is broken is pentax lens, you might want to contact eric hendricksen about a possible repair.... I'm sure someone here has his contact information. In regards to videography audio, I'd honestly say just to get a nice digital audio recorder and a good microphone, then use an editing program to sync the separate audio and video tracks together. The audio quality will probably wind up much better than you'd get from hooking a mic up to the camera (an example of where this is applicable is if you take a video of a band playing music... ultimately you'd want to get a recording straight from the mixer for quality/clarity and then dub the audio onto the video in post.... if you use a single microphone or an in-camera mic the volume exceeds the threshold and sounds overdriven and horrible unless you take some extraordinary steps to compensate). It is more gear to carry for that purpose, but even in professional videography, audio is segregated to its own equipment in many/most cases.

@jack002 : glad to see you're enjoying the thread.
05-30-2015, 12:10 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just ordered a new lens from NCE. Pentax FA 28-105 (IF) for $59.99, to use as my kayak lens. I'll still have my sigma 75-300 on the 'yak as well for further reach, but that one needs an internal cleaning (lens disassembly). That way I don't have to take my primes out on the water (more work and greater loss if something happens).
05-31-2015, 01:29 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Just ordered a new lens from NCE. Pentax FA 28-105 (IF) for $59.99, to use as my kayak lens.
I have a couple of old FA zooms and, for me, their "cost vs IQ" factor is very good. I think you'll be very happy with your purchase.

05-31-2015, 07:15 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The last reviewer on the lens in the db said they got theirs for $100 and considered it a good buy. The one I ordered was rated E+ by NCE, and they sold me my super tak 50 1.4 and it was exactly as described, so I'm definitely looking forward to it. The 18-55 wr is too limited in fl to take on the kayak, so I needed a relatively inexpensive zoom with longer reach. My sigma 75-300 is starting to get rubberized finish decay on it, and due to that the cloth stopper ring that stops creep and keeps dust out has ripped out, so I'm not concerned with taking it on the kayak either. I got the DL zoom fairly cheap and it will have adequate IQ at 200 or 300 for my purposes. The super takumar 200 f/4 has basically taken the sigma's spot in my normal tele lineup, so as such the sigma doesn't see much use these days. It will start seeing more use once I start getting out on the water.

Thanks to the new lens and the sigma, I can keep my kayak kit to a minimum of lenses. So it will just be 28-105 IF, 75-300 DL, K-50, and spare battery pack or AA adapter with some lithiums. After all, I have a small kayak and space is at a premium inside. Mandatory items are my backpack cooler w/ drinks to stay hydrated and my legally required floatation device, plus dry bag for my car keys, wallet, etc. Anyone happen to know the bayonet diameter on the FA 28-105? I don't know if it will have a hood when it arrives, so I might need to order one (I also don't know if it has lenscaps).
06-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #66

Just want to add a quick note that I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread as I can so relate to it. Being 'frugal' like the OP has helped to keep a latent LBA in check. One point I'd like to add is that when I'm out and about shooting, there's a tendency to sometimes forget where I've stuffed my lens caps when I switch lenses. It hasn't escaped me that replacement lens caps tend to cost quite a bit at the stores, so I've ended up going to ebay and getting $1 lens caps, putting them on my lenses and leaving the original ones at home. This way, even if I misplace them out in the field, it's not that bad. And seriously, I really can't justify paying $20 for a piece of plastic, when I've managed to snag no less than half a dozen lenses that each cost less than that!