Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2015, 05:39 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote
My experience with using "old" i.e. pre-digital era) glass on digital bodies has been generally frustrating and negative. Are there some real gems out there from the K1000 era? Yes. But good luck finding a mint copy of the SMC Pentax-M* 300mm F4 for less than you could buy a brand new HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm. The modern lens will perform as good or better AND be much, much easier to learn with and use. Plus it is weather sealed. Plus it is autofocus. Plus it allows you to use all the lovely features on the digital body that are unavailable when using an old manual lens.
One thing to consider. When comparing old lenses to new ones.

New lenses, especially zooms are generally better than old MF zooms (of course there are exceptions like the vivitar Series 1 lenses) but old primes are pretty sharp, and hard to beat (for sharpness) with even new lenses.

Primes, especially tele photos are pretty simple lenses, and people knew the calculations for hundreds of years.

05-09-2015, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #32

It is true that basic lens formulas for some focal lengths have remained unchanged for 100+ years. But there are major differences in modern designs optimized for digital sensors. The most important is that many (especially wide angles) are designed to project parallel light beams from the rear element onto the sensor focal plane. Old film era glass projected diverging light rays that hit the edges of the film at often shallow angles. Film didn't care. Sensors do care and this contributes to extreme fringing and exposure falloff at the edges when using older wide lenses on digital sensors.

Ironically, smaller APS size sensors effectively mask this effect by cropping off the most affected portion of the image. But when people start putting old film era glass on "full frame" digital sensors the effect becomes painfully obvious.

Look at the lengths Leica went to dealing with this. They customized their sensors so edge pixels are optimized to accept light falling on them at an angle.
05-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote

Ironically, smaller APS size sensors effectively mask this effect by cropping off the most affected portion of the image. But when people start putting old film era glass on "full frame" digital sensors the effect becomes painfully obvious.

Well, if you're in this forum, Jeff, you're using Pentax bodies and "effectively" masking this as you say.

You're getting the best out of film lenses - cheap or expensive - with the APS-C format.

Even for the future full frame, why don't you look at the FF Lenses on Digital thread, for many, many beautiful shots our members have taken with old lenses. I use an A7 myself and have no problems with the glass I own.

The effect you're talking about applies chiefly to very wide specimens.

Leica in particular have a problem in that they have rangefinder lenses in their history.
05-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Good topic and story!
I generally stick to old primes & new zooms. Since SR cannot auto-adjust to an old zoom (and Pentax did not choose to add FL input as a button choice) I prefer primes to maximize both IQ and SR accuracy. I am getting a split-screen focus to maximize focus next; hope the $30 auction knockoff will serve on my K-r

I am really surprised at recent deals I am seeing here and at eBay. Film lenses that I have used on/off for years is cheaper now, right before the 36×24 camera arrives. Curious!

05-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I might just invest in the 6x7 and 645 lens mount adapters. Huge glass, but I've heard it works great for image clarity/sharpness on old primes.
05-09-2015, 11:26 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
I think I might just invest in the 6x7 and 645 lens mount adapters. Huge glass, but I've heard it works great for image clarity/sharpness on old primes.
And an investment it will be! For the expense acquiring those adapters you could buy several old glass gems instead. The adapter usually goes in the $200 range and that would pretty well defeat the purpose of trying do things cheaper which I am all for. I have the 645 adapter but also most of the 645 system and A lenses so the adapter allows me to use those on 35mm and APSC cameras too. It`s not usually a good idea to get the larger format lenses only for use on the smaller formats. You could be disappointed. Central sharpness is great on most of them but they were designed to make an image subjected to less enlargement than 35mm and especially DSLRs.
Later, the best thing about finding those deals on old, overlooked lenses will be having them for coming full-frame.
05-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm... didn't know they cost that much. Well... no cheapie ebay 67/645 glass for me.

05-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are cheaper alternatives to the genuine Pentax mount adapters such as Fotodiox and others but many have posted here on the PF and other places that these are an unreliable fit and can cause problems.
05-11-2015, 12:46 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The best bargain primes will always be Takumars and K mounts in the 28mm/35mm/50mm range simply because there are so many of them around. It was inevitable that prices would go up for the rarer legacy ultra-wides and long telephotos once the ff camera was announced, simply because of supply and demand.
05-11-2015, 08:21 AM   #40
Forum Member

Surely can be done. I was recently asked by a friend to put together a DSLR kit for her 13-year-old daughter. Budget of 600USD. Everything had to be new with warranty. Easy enough. 600 covered a Pentax K-50 bundle including a 18-55, 50-200, AF200FG, kit bag and card. Also a DA 35/2.4 purchased separately.

All worked out. The little girl was so happy she shed a few tears, the parents relieved that their budget wasn't busted.

+1 Pentax forum members for pointing out solid deals. Last I heard the kid and her K-50 are inseparable. The little girl's father, a Canikon fundamentalist initially less than thrilled with his offspring's heresy, is now questioning his faith. :-)

Last edited by Multi-coated; 05-11-2015 at 02:27 PM.
05-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Multi-coated Quote

+1 Pentax forum members for pointing out solid deals. Last I heard the kid and her K-50 are inseparable. The little girl's father, a Canikon fundamentalist initially less than thrilled with his offspring's heresy, is now questioning his faith. :-)
Nice story, MC.

Starting to show interest in boys, fashion and Pentax, this girl's father must think she's now outta control.
05-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #42
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nice story, MC.

Starting to show interest in boys, fashion and Pentax, this girl's father must think she's now outta control.
That's pretty much the situation. I hope he is able to overcome the Pentax issue. :-)
05-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Multi-coated Quote
That's pretty much the situation. I hope he is able to overcome the Pentax issue. :-)
Just wait until she starts hinting for the FA Limiteds...
05-11-2015, 05:49 PM   #44
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Just wait until she starts hinting for the FA Limiteds...
The dad is a nice guy despite being a Canikonista. Should he ever get under my skin.... His wife, daughter and I will have a Limited discussion. :-)
05-11-2015, 06:13 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hope this girl grows up to be thankful she was blessed with deliverance from the false doctrines of Canikonism.