Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Hope this girl grows up to be thankful she was blessed with deliverance from the false doctrines of Canikonism.
Praise Pentax and pass the Limiteds.

Can I get an Amen, bothers and sisters?

05-12-2015, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Multi-coated Quote

Testify.

I was cured of the shakes, thanks to the IBIS.
05-12-2015, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Multi-coated Quote

One of the best breaks in history, here's your Amen!

05-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Everything about today seems perfect.... temperature, chance of rain, etc.... but then there's the wind.... the close to 20mph gusts just ruin it all.

05-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
20mph? That's just a gentle breeze around here. Take what nature is giving you. Use the breeze to blur leaves, grass, etc... I went to a workshop where one of the participants did long exposure shots of trees and it made all the leaves look like cotton candy. The shots were very cool!
05-13-2015, 12:49 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did get out for a bit, just not taking any pictures. Decided to chance going to the lake tonight. Fortunately the wind was blowing in a direction that my normal spot was mostly shielded. The clouds were completely choking the sky though. Did a bit of fishing.... to no avail. And then the rain started. Packed everything up as it has a habit of turning to a downpour without warning in that area. Couldn't go during the day, too much laundry needed done as it was time to wash all the colder weather clothing for pack away and my bedding materials.

Supposed to rain here 5/13/15, but Thurs. should be decent weather (or was it fri....). Think I'll spend today scouring ebay for cheap lenses.
05-13-2015, 02:51 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scouring ebay?-a favorite indoor activity of mine too-not for cheap lenses, but cheap deals on great, undervalued items.

My best recent deal? PK mount Tokina ATX 50~250, good shape for $5.99-cost more to ship it.

05-13-2015, 04:36 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Did a bit of fishing....
A wise move! The next best thing to photography.
05-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@TaoMaas well the fishing isn't really the happening thing right now since our water temp's are taking forever to get up to where they need to be for the fish to be active. I did catch a largemouth the other day though (of the roughly 10-13in length range), but it was sluggish and had no real fight in it. I spend more time at the lake between fishing, kayaking, and photography than I do at work (all thanks to reduced hours because the company loves to not give us enough hrs to have manpower on hand). Rather than scouring ebay today, I slept in, and then went off to the lake. Sad to report that one of the trees that has made frequent appearances in my photographs has succumbed to the high winds of the past few days (It was relatively healthy too... such a shame).
05-14-2015, 03:05 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is my choice of cheap and good, mainly old, lenses:

DA 40 XS - optically it is the same as 40 Limited and sometimes can be purchased much cheaper (the only AF lens here),
SMC Pentax A 50/1.7 - I think most people do not need f 1.4 really (M version is cheaper, but many people are buing M-glass but after few months realise that they need at least A- position lenses, so they pay twice),
SMC Pentax A 35-70/3.5-4.5 - small, light, 49 filters and optically the same as F 35 - 70 which has its cult status; both can be found cheap, but I was willing A version for more sturdy build,
SMC Pentax M 135/3.5 - fast, really small, sharp, sometimes very cheap
Tamron Adaptall-2 28/2.5 (02B) - can be found very cheap, some nice results are possible wide open, but it is rather available light lens then landscape lens,
Tamron Adaptall-2 35-70/3.5 (17A) - sharp, fast, good also for close up range, nice rendering (but flares quite easily), really easy to purchase cheap on online auctions,
Tamron SP Adaptall-2 28 - 30 3.5 - 4.2 (27A) - good and often underrated lens, quite versatile,
Takumar 35/3.5 - small, sharp, good landscape lens
SMC Takumar 28/3.5 - great color rendering, much cheaper then M/K 28/3.5, but seems also not that sharp.
05-14-2015, 09:39 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Taken today with super tak 200mm f/4.
05-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #57

Hello I am looking at getting into DSLR photography. I have worked with a couple cameras before and understand different concepts of photography because my parents were both photographers and I previously used a point and shoot with full manual controls to do what I wanted. Anyway I am looking at building a kit but am not sure where exactly to go because I don't have too specific a type of photography I like. A few I enjoy specifically are nature, street, portrait, and landscapes, but I do most anything I can. I also know I want a camera with an external mic jack. My budget is $500 or maybe $600 if i can have a basic lighting setup included (flash and stand and umbrella) I am thinking this:

-Pentax k7 ($289 on keh or maybe a good eBay dealer for cheaper)
-35 mm DA f2.4 (hopefully under $90 on eBay) for basic walking around and street and portrait
-28-70 mm f3.5-4.5 ($30 on keh) OR 50-200 mm DA ($70 on keh) OR 70-200 mm f4-5.6 (I think $50 on keh) for a basic zoom and the other stuff
-extra battery ($11 on keh or off brand for $16 on amazon)
-$8 remote control
-LCD screen protector (price?-maybe less than $10)
-lens caps needed for lens that don't come with it which I don't know if they will have that if sold from keh

??? Maybe

-yongnuo 560 manual flash-$60
-$30 amazon wired connection kit for flash
-umbrella
-stand and mount
-basic external mic

Things I have:

- camera bag with broken strap ( replacement under $10??? Any Suggestions for comfort)
- blower,cleaning cloth,tripod,cleaning kit from parents or old point and shoot
-broken 50 mm f2 that doesn't go below f8 or something like that

If anyone has suggestions coming from those who have dove into this world of things I need to add or things that I should change/remove. Thanks.
05-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #58

CMagex, you might want to check the Pentax Price Watch section of this forum for sale prices on a new K-50 body for about $310 or so. Buy one from Adorama or BH and pick up an extended Pentax warranty card from them for another $20 which give you a 3 year warranty. Both places throw in an SD card and Adorama also includes a flash. There are also some good deals on the K-50 with one or two lenses from these two dealers and also through Amazon. The 18-55mm kit lens is decent enough, especially when stopped down to f8, and is weather resistant to go along with a weather resistant camera. Who knows how long these prices will hold up.

For the flash, check out the Yongnuo 560 IV and the 560 TX radio trigger. No wires and you can control the flash settings with the trigger mounted on your camera.
05-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Love this thread. This is my style all the way.
I have an old K110D that works great. They're worth like under $100 now
I have all my old lenses from my film days, the 50mm f 2.0, the 28mm, the 128mm.
I bought a good heavy old tripod that dates before the digtal age.
I also bought a 500mm mirror telephoto for like nothing on ebay. I use it to shoot the moon.

You don't have to spend a fortune to have good equipment and get good results.

I also have a few AF lenses, the 18-55 kit lens, the 90-300 I got off ebay and the 50mm pancake lens.

From the film days I bought a wide angle adapter that fits on the front of a lens, and I love it. It works on my AF lenses well too.
I also use screw on closeup lenses. Some people seem to think they're bad somehow, but they work great for me.
05-19-2015, 03:39 PM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
CMagex, you might want to check the Pentax Price Watch section of this forum for sale prices on a new K-50 body for about $310 or so. Buy one from Adorama or BH and pick up an extended Pentax warranty card from them for another $20 which give you a 3 year warranty. Both places throw in an SD card and Adorama also includes a flash. There are also some good deals on the K-50 with one or two lenses from these two dealers and also through Amazon. The 18-55mm kit lens is decent enough, especially when stopped down to f8, and is weather resistant to go along with a weather resistant camera. Who knows how long these prices will hold up.

For the flash, check out the Yongnuo 560 IV and the 560 TX radio trigger. No wires and you can control the flash settings with the trigger mounted on your camera.
The reason I want to go with the k7 over the k50 is it has the external mic jack for videos as I don't want to be limited later on in my learning of videography by not adding an external mic although it isn't a must have (though the k7 costs similar to the k50 with similar specs)

The radio controlled flashes sounds OK but I was kind of trying to follow the strobists guide on basic lighting and he recommended not going to wireless right away. I think that is BC of cost at the time of his article which is now outdated in the sense that I could get both for pretty cheap now. I don't know about that one?