Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-28-2015, 04:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One thing not mentioned so far is that the Op/tech setup is much cheaper than the Black Rapids or any other that I know of.

05-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
One thing not mentioned so far is that the Op/tech setup is much cheaper than the Black Rapids or any other that I know of.
And the straps come in many colors. And are interchangeable, so you can color coordinate with your clothes.
05-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Skip the black rapid and arca clamp just use the optech attached to the plate.
Less is more.
My strap gets twisted up enough with the swivel.

I actually just got an op/tech "Utility Sling Duo" a few days ago so I can carry a second body or a couple of lens pouches or my travel tripod on the left. I can't imagine how the heck anyone uses it. Fully extended, the straps reach about to my elbows, and I'm not even tall. I ordered some extension straps to get them down to my waist. Maybe that's not where you're supposed to carry a camera, but having it at my elbow is really distracting.
05-29-2015, 05:03 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I actually just got an op/tech "Utility Sling Duo" a few days ago so I can carry a second body or a couple of lens pouches or my travel tripod on the left. I can't imagine how the heck anyone uses it. Fully extended, the straps reach about to my elbows, and I'm not even tall. I ordered some extension straps to get them down to my waist. Maybe that's not where you're supposed to carry a camera, but having it at my elbow is really distracting.
I've never used the Duo, but from the pictures it looks like the regular sling I use. I'm not sure what the problem is. The looped portion is made to be relatively snug with your body, so it won't move. The part where the camera hangs (the straight section) is longer, and with the clips brings the camera to hip level, roughly. The loop can be adjusted in length if you're taller or shorter.

06-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like my Op/Tech gear very much.

I have a strap, extenders, a harness, and a wrist strap. I like to carry the camera on the harness and my bins on the neck strap. When I have my big lens on the camera, I put the extenders on the neck strap and use it like a sling. The wrist strap is on the camera all the rest of the time so I have safety if I just pick it up for a quick pic.

Last edited by AggieDad; 06-08-2015 at 08:32 PM.
06-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I like Capturing Couture straps a lot. They do have a system whereby you can use release clips but they're plastic and I'm a metal person when it comes to straps. I like to use things like carabiners, rings, strong lobster clips. I made my release system from stuff you'd find at the local Home Depot. I like being able to release but I also like a very protective set up and nylon straps and plastic clips just doesn't but it in my book. I wire my straps, attach good, strong hardware.
06-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I like Capturing Couture straps a lot. They do have a system whereby you can use release clips but they're plastic and I'm a metal person when it comes to straps. I like to use things like carabiners, rings, strong lobster clips. I made my release system from stuff you'd find at the local Home Depot. I like being able to release but I also like a very protective set up and nylon straps and plastic clips just doesn't but it in my book. I wire my straps, attach good, strong hardware.
I prefer plastic clips and cord loops when it comes to camera straps, mainly because I don't like metal hardware marring the finish of my cameras and lenses, and I find the strength rating on the nylon buckles and clips more than adequate.
As with all such gear, keeping the gear in good maintenance is important.

06-09-2015, 05:19 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I prefer plastic clips and cord loops when it comes to camera straps, mainly because I don't like metal hardware marring the finish of my cameras and lenses, and I find the strength rating on the nylon buckles and clips more than adequate.
As with all such gear, keeping the gear in good maintenance is important.
What he said. The plastic parts won't be the ones failing.
06-09-2015, 05:40 AM   #24
Veteran Member

With the way I do it there's not much wear and tear actually. So far I haven't put one scratch on any of my DSLR's doing this that I can see. I'm more worried about theft than anything else. Plastic and nylon they can be cut far too easily and around here I do have to worry about that. Purse/camera snatchers with box cutters are common. If my straps are wired and I have heavy duty metal clips they're not easily getting mine. Plus, honestly the nylon bugs me. It scratches ME and I just don't like that. I had Tamrac straps to begin with but they tore my hands up and scratched my neck a lot. In terms of convenience they were good, but ergonomically after a while I hated them they were just so uncomfortable for me to use. I have very sensitive skin. Maybe it's not a problem for most people but it is for me.
06-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Another vote for Optex. My Pentax DSLR straps seem to work ok for me. I can't detach quickly it is true, but that hasn't been an issue for me.

I did change out the factory Canon strap for another of my cameras, a Canon G 12. I wasn't happy with the strap. So disposed of the Canon strap and installed an Optex. I'm pleased with the Optex. In fact I got the idea about the Optex strap from a buddy who put one on his Canon 7D.
06-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I use a screw-shut quick link to attach a normal strap to a round split ring on the strap lug. It's quick and guarantees that the strap won't fall off at the clip, which happened to me and dropped my then-brand-new K-3 and 31mm FA limited onto a tile floor.