Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
In a child centred world where elevating the most mundane events to represent milestones of significant achievement only goes to producing self-centered and selfish adults.
I had a kindergarten graduation - it was a significant change compared to going to grade 1. Kindergarten was half days, with a morning and an afternoon class, so the ceremony marked our joining with those scary afternoon kids (seriously, they were just "wrong", for example one of them peed in the marble hole and another was the schools 'dirt eater'). We had graduation hats we made ourselves out of white cardboard, so as you can imagine it was an appropriate level of pomp and ceremony for the occasion.

Also, I had an "A+" on my report card for "putting away chairs", which set the standards for my future academic excellence. If you don't think that's something significant to celebrate, well, there's just no pleasing some people.

I don't recall any pictures though...

06-03-2015, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

You can probably bet that none of those sightline hogging iPad thrusters would have gotten an A+ for putting away chairs.
06-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I'm just so happy Apple doesn't build cars. (yet.) Because Apple drivers would be absolutely convinced all other traffic needs to give them right of way. Regardless of any other less important traffic rules.

I stopped taking photographs at family gettogethers to protect my family and inlaws. Because when I'm composing a shot an Iphone (or two) will very often enter my viewfinder. Funny thing is, after the last gettogether my mother in law (=iphone photobomber-PRO who visits my VF most often) asked me for my pictures because "they're always so very good". They wanted to print some canvasses to refresh the ones they have. She, and some other inlaws, expressed their grief over the fact that all they had to remember that fantastic day by were only some cellphone pictures!?! I think they actually really don't even realise what they do when they're doing it. It's brilliant Apple mind-control marketing doing it's voodoo.
Of course, your analysis ignores the fact that another humongous smart phone is more common than the current Apple iPhone. It is not a brand specific rudeness.
06-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I had a kindergarten graduation - it was a significant change compared to going to grade 1. Kindergarten was half days, with a morning and an afternoon class, so the ceremony marked our joining with those scary afternoon kids (seriously, they were just "wrong", for example one of them peed in the marble hole and another was the schools 'dirt eater'). We had graduation hats we made ourselves out of white cardboard, so as you can imagine it was an appropriate level of pomp and ceremony for the occasion.

Also, I had an "A+" on my report card for "putting away chairs", which set the standards for my future academic excellence. If you don't think that's something significant to celebrate, well, there's just no pleasing some people.

I don't recall any pictures though...
Lol, my niece made a lot of changes in her kindergarten year, going from what I will describe as part 'free-range and interrupting every conversation combined with ADD and never concentrating on one thing for more than a minute' to sitting still in a desk and minding the teacher. Found out that she had advanced math skills more than most students her age. I figured that in itself deserved the full camera rig for her event.

06-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #35
Veteran Member

In a child centred world elevating the most mundane events to represent milestones of significant achievement only goes to producing self-centered and selfish adults.
I guess there is an assumption preschool graduations are a new thing, because I have pictures from the mid 6Os, which makes those 'kids' over 50 now. They are the least self centered people I have ever met. Granted prek didn't become common until after the 70s, prek graduation ceremony was a thing in certain areas from the start.

I think probably its not the preschool graduation 'milestone' that makes kids become self centered. Maybe its the constant need for approval that is highly exaggerated by Instagram and Facebook likes. It has been getting worse over the years, since Facebook has become part of daily life. I am not defending pre-k graduations as needing to be a huge event, but I think the issue is the addiction to praise, that has been elevated with social media. That in turn has caused people to be complete jerks in order today get their fix. Because they get this praise on facebook, there is an inflated sense of importance. well, this is just my observation anyway. But then again, I am seeing this huge plehtora of really bad photographers deciding to open their own 'business' just because their friends have told them they take really good pictures of their kids.

Last edited by Murfy; 06-04-2015 at 04:15 AM.
06-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In a child centred world elevating the most mundane events to represent milestones of significant achievement only goes to producing self-centered and selfish adults.
Agreed. Nothing worse than a child with high self-esteem.
06-04-2015, 04:16 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess there are two issues to me. First of all is the general rudeness of everyone using their device and blocking the view of those who actually want to enjoy it. This isn't particularly a phone versus SLR thing, although from a personal standpoint, if my child is in an event, I will try to take photos from the wings are crouching down in an aisle so as not to disturb others. And I usually get a couple of photos and am done. I'm not really into video, so the idea of holding a camera/phone the whole time escapes me.

The other issue is the whole "I've got to document every aspect of my life and my kid's lives," philosophy that seems to afflict people theses days. There is not a particular reason why you need to grab a blurry cell phone photo of everything you eat, the places you go to the bathroom, and whatever else you might happen to experience each day. And studies show that you remember things better if you actually experience them, rather than spending the time grabbing photos.

Photo-taking may hinder memories, study says - CNN.com

My personal feeling is to grab a few photos and then put your camera away and experience an event with the people you are with. If there is a funny thing that you want grab a photo down the road, take the camera back out, but don't let it interfere with your connection with people around you.
06-04-2015, 04:34 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Of course, your analysis ignores the fact that another humongous smart phone is more common than the current Apple iPhone. It is not a brand specific rudeness.
Of course! Because that other humongous smart phone doesn't provide the user with an equally humongous feeling of superiority over others. LOL! Seriously though, I don't know why it is, but it's always Apple gadgets or their users entering my VF.

---------- Post added 04-06-15 at 11:47 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Agreed. Nothing worse than a child with high self-esteem.
Exactly, otherwise before you know it they'll be confident enough to actually amount up to something.

We're both kidding, right?

06-04-2015, 05:09 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I suspect that the weight and size of such devices as iPhones makes this behaviour possible. People probably would have behaved the same before, they just had technology that was too heavy. That would be my guess.
Exactly. I don't think this behavior would have continued long with my Mamiya RB 67!
06-04-2015, 08:02 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I agree Rondec that it just happened to be iphone, iPad, android users that were blocking the view of the event. There were very few P and S cameras but they were also joining the photo/video frenzy. The one DSLR user was crouched and scrunched up next to a table. He stayed in his spot for a while probably because it was impossible to move around in the mob. When I mention To the dslr user about the 'photo mob' and why were they not discreetly taking turns, he just gave me a blank look. Lol, maybe he was in shock either over the mob or seeing a Pentax in the wild? I actually didn't even notice him until I was right beside him because of the device users. I specified iPhone because it's the kind I use and I refer to all phone devices as iPhone the same as we in the south use cola or more specifically Coke to refer to all brands of carbonated soda. I have to say that the kids in the event looked slightly confused at the fact that they were having to do what the teacher planned for them and the close proximity of the parents that were distracting them. There really should of been an announcement at the beginning of the program of where the children would be coming out on stage. A program list of the children's names in order of their walking out and receiving their certificate. And directions to the parents to take quick photos of their child with their certificate, move on and let the next parent up. Lol, the whole thing reminded me of feeding guppies in an aquarium where they are darting about making a frenzy.
06-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is a sampling of the 'Mob'. they took up a space between the table seating and in front of the stage to about 5-6 rows back. fortunately I chose to bring the 55-300mm WR knowing I may not be very close. The lens choice turned out for the better since I was able to focus through the crowd some of the time. Only standing on a table would of gave me direct line of sight. I decided it wouldn't be very polite and a terrible example for the kids, lol. When the singing part of the program started I changed to the 18-55 so my niece would have a photo of that part. This is the result. Since it was getting toward the end of the event, the phone devices were being held a little lower, lol, guess their arms were getting tired even though the devices were light.
Attached Images

Last edited by sherrvonne; 06-12-2016 at 05:52 PM.
06-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem is not that people have cell phones with cameras. The problem digital imaging has gotten so cheap that everyone carries a camera, you can take nearly unlimited numbers of photos, and on top of that, everything shoots video as well. In the film days, each shutter press would cost money, so those few people who actually carried a camera had to chose their shooting opportunities carefully.

Parents of young children haven't touched a film camera in years, if at all, so we cannot hold it against them that they don't follow the old rules. Yes, I know there was an era of point & shoot film cameras but those didn't come anywhere close to the level of accessibility that digital cameras have brought to today's general population.

This is the price of improving technology. As an enthusiast, I want the best technology for the cheapest price. But everyone else gets it too, whether they were asking for it or not. Who am I to deny this capability to others.

Seems more of a problem of poor crowd control than anything else. A gathering of children in any other location, whether it was a Kindergarten graduation or a school play, would produce similar results. Another option would be to not allow any parents to take photos. How many times have you heard this at a recent wedding, so as not to spoil the official photographer's images?
06-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hAveva pre school graduation to go to next week. I sense this is a time to don my military uniform of days gone by. People seem to make a little hole in today's world
06-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lol, on the the 2nd to last pic, the kids were singing the song 'What A Wonderful World'. As they sang the lyrics about trees, skies of blue, night, each group would hold up the poster of the sky, rainbow, night etc. that they had drawn. Lol it was a flash nightmare as ALL of the posters had been laminated. Oh so super shiny! I think (on the pic, not shown, without the phone in it) I did ok, considering the crowd and the lamination on the posters. Perhaps I should post something in the critic section?
06-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #45
mee
Pentaxian

Back in my day we didn't have graduation for things that didn't deem the honor..such as pre-k graduation!

But, on topic, the issue IS the phones they have in everyone elses field of view.. they are showing you precisely the cause.

Well it isn't the phone persay but the online world that most of us live inside these days, using these devices. A large portion of western society, today, is based around instant information and thus instant gratification. Facebook friends and likes, Twitter followers, Flickr Followers, +1's, and Gold stars for everyone because everyone wins! This has turned society into a self centered, bratty child that is oblivious to the others around them. And, those that actually do acknowledge the others around them, are largely apathetic to the respect otherwise given to their fellow man in public because facebook, twitter, flickr, and the common portion of the internet told them that the world revolves around 'ME.'

That, and now EVERYONE has a phone and update their facebook, flickr, and twitter with photos to get their +1's and likes.

Last edited by mee; 06-06-2015 at 10:28 PM.