Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What happened to Etiquette?

I went to take a few photos of my niece graduating kindergarten. I haven't taken photos of anyone at a graduation in yrs and it was high school graduations and 3 yrs ago I photographed a graduation party. At all previous events people showed etiquette, each took their turn taking a few photos of their kid and got out of the way. Anyone taking video did so discreetly off to the side and took care not to block the view of the audience. There might of been one or two photo hogs but what I experienced today was utter mayhem. Almost EVERY person there (it was held in the cafeteria that had a stage and the room was packed and then It was standing room only) went to the front. The DSLR people which were few crouched down so other people could see over them even though it meant having unwanted equipment possibly at the bottom of their photo, standing up only momentarily for better shots. The i phone i pad people however were quite thoughtless and blocked MOST of the view for the ENTIRE program. They lined up behind the DSLR users but did so standing and then raised their cell phones as high as they could reach and stayed there for at least an hour and a half. Anyone sitting from the 4th row back could only see the stage from inbetween hundreds of iPhones. Not just taking still photos but using video the whole time.
I kept thinking that here they were taking video with their iPhones so they could look back on the event but didn't care a whit that they were blocking everyone's line of sight that were behind them and those persons will have never seen their child's moment even the first time even though they were seated at the event. Is this usual behavior now or was it just this event?

06-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I suspect that the weight and size of such devices as iPhones makes this behaviour possible. People probably would have behaved the same before, they just had technology that was too heavy. That would be my guess.
06-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I suspect that the weight and size of such devices as iPhones makes this behaviour possible. People probably would have behaved the same before, they just had technology that was too heavy. That would be my guess.
Lol, probably right, I should attatch helium balloons to the K3. Uhhhh maybe not.
06-02-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My daughter preK graduation I took a shot of all the ipads in the air, blocking all the grandparents and people behind them. It was terrible. I have also seen people go up on the alter at a Catholic church, not the photographer that was paid, just some guy at the wedding.

06-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
My daughter preK graduation I took a shot of all the ipads in the air, blocking all the grandparents and people behind them. It was terrible. I have also seen people go up on the alter at a Catholic church, not the photographer that was paid, just some guy at the wedding.
everyone wants to be Cindy Sherman
06-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've been someplace photographing, been there alone for a while, only to have someone pull up in their car or walk up behind me, nearly shove me out of the way just so they can whip out their phone and try to get the same pic. I hate that aspect of cell phones. People are so effin rude...
06-02-2015, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have seen an official wedding photographer mount a stepladder between the guests and the Bride and Groom. Inside the church, during the wedding vows! I thought that was a bit rude and was surprised the bridal party and the priest allowed it.

06-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have to remind my mother of this all the time. I was shooting a wedding of my cousin and she was wandering around really close to get "headshots" during the vows. Meanwhile, as the paid photographer I'm trying to maneuver to not get her in the shot. I showed her an image of her standing over them and asked her if this was acceptable in her day, because it sure as crap isn't acceptable in my books. She wasn't happy about that... comment.

Or constantly recording my son with her ipad.

Visit with him face to face, dont' sit behind and miss the moments behind an ipad.

I don't get it. I'm a photographer, but I have very little of images of my son aside from quick snaps here and there when I'm doing matience on my gear because I'd rather experience those moments instead of watch them through a viewfinder or a digital screen.

Same goes for my nieces and nephews concerts. Weddings I attend where I'm not there to shoot it.

I want to enjoy it, not view it through a TV. I'm saddened by the people who do. because at the end of the day all you have is that video, you don't have the memory of watching it with your own eyes.
06-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I have seen an official wedding photographer mount a stepladder between the guests and the Bride and Groom. Inside the church, during the wedding vows! I thought that was a bit rude and was surprised the bridal party and the priest allowed it.
Oh my, that is bad. It could of been the case of the bride and groom misinforming the photographer that he had 'free range' during the ceremony. Back in the 80's I did some wedding photography/documenting the event. People with not a lot of money would hire me and I would tell them straight out that I was mostly a nature photographer type and didn't have much experience posing group shots, and they would say, that's ok we will handle the posing people part. It always worked out well. But this one Wedding I did in a Catholic church, I ask the family to find out for sure what the protocol was for that church. Most churches were laid back but I knew some were more strict as to when I could get shots. But the Bride and Groom told me to get as many shots as possible during the service and it was ok. Well it turned out that I managed to 'Irk' the priest part way through the service. Well seems the bride and groom misinformed me on purpose knowing that I would be breaking protocol. All though I must say I never thought to set up and climb a ladder.

---------- Post added 06-02-15 at 04:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I have to remind my mother of this all the time. I was shooting a wedding of my cousin and she was wandering around really close to get "headshots" during the vows. Meanwhile, as the paid photographer I'm trying to maneuver to not get her in the shot. I showed her an image of her standing over them and asked her if this was acceptable in her day, because it sure as crap isn't acceptable in my books. She wasn't happy about that... comment.

Or constantly recording my son with her ipad.

Visit with him face to face, dont' sit behind and miss the moments behind an ipad.

I don't get it. I'm a photographer, but I have very little of images of my son aside from quick snaps here and there when I'm doing matience on my gear because I'd rather experience those moments instead of watch them through a viewfinder or a digital screen.

Same goes for my nieces and nephews concerts. Weddings I attend where I'm not there to shoot it.

I want to enjoy it, not view it through a TV. I'm saddened by the people who do. because at the end of the day all you have is that video, you don't have the memory of watching it with your own eyes.
Exactly, Exactly, Exactly!

---------- Post added 06-02-15 at 04:49 PM ----------

I tried my best to interact with my family, go get some quick shots, and make my niece feel special that I brought the camera rig just for her. Lol, the K3 with the grip and external flash was distracting my niece's kindergarten class as they were sitting at a long table next to us. They were very curious about the camera and I had to remind them nicely that the teacher wanted them to be as quiet as possible. Kids, they are so curious.
06-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really, all it takes is for the event organisers to make an announcement and a firm rule that people remain seated until the scheduled time for photographs. I'm surprised that a church minister wouldn't do so, at a wedding - many of them do, from what I've seen. Most people would be polite and considerate if they realised that their behaviour was causing distress or a problem for others. Those who don't are easily singled out by an experienced MC, and humbled into cooperation. Barry Humphries is a good example - he routinely but comically chastises people who turn up late for his performances.
06-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #11

If people act like idiots, treat them like idiots.
(I was tempted use a different word, but I don't want to be crass).

It is the only way to stay sane.

If a group of these 'people' block everybody's else view of an important event, I will voice my dissatisfaction. Just like a tell unruly youth who are listening to pseudo-music on their crappy cell phones while riding a public transport to turn down the noise. Being big and bearded does have some benefits.
06-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
If people act like idiots, treat them like idiots.
(I was tempted use a different word, but I don't want to be crass).

It is the only way to stay sane.

If a group of these 'people' block everybody's else view of an important event, I will voice my dissatisfaction. Just like a tell unruly youth who are listening to pseudo-music on their crappy cell phones while riding a public transport to turn down the noise. Being big and bearded does have some benefits.
My family went to an art show and they were announcing the awards. I made it a point to make sure my children were quiet and well behaved while the judge was talking. The people behind us were talking non-stop we could not hear a thing, and since I had artwork that was part of the show, I wanted to know if I won anything. My husband says loudly, "I can't hear a d@mn thing because the people behind me won't stop talking"

You could hear a pin drop and like 2 rows of people turned to look at us. You would have thought that would have worked, but nope, after the shock wore off, they went back to talking...loudly.
06-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote

LOL, Unfortunately I probably won't scare anyone.

---------- Post added 06-02-15 at 07:26 PM ----------

Yes I have crappy iPhone selfies. This reminds me not to invest in selfie sticks, I would look the same just a few more inches away.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
06-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

A possible answer:

Why is this happening? I don't know. But the world really seems to look more egocentric, less moral, and so on.
06-02-2015, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I've been someplace photographing, been there alone for a while, only to have someone pull up in their car or walk up behind me, nearly shove me out of the way just so they can whip out their phone and try to get the same pic. I hate that aspect of cell phones. People are so effin rude...
Right there with you. Then they will take a photo that will be out of focus, badly framed, and slanted. Is it entitled of me to think, "Please let the real photo takers have their turn before you take shots you'll delete in 10 minutes?