Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
During performances and events at my kids Montessori (which are surprisingly frequent), the staff periodically say "remember to keep your phone or tablet to yourself while recording - if we can see it from behind you, we will ask you to put it away." And they do tell people, typically grandparents (who aren't there often enough to know the rules), to put their 'ipads held on high' away by saying something like "your screen is distracting to the others, please put it away and enjoy the live performance."

Only once has someone repeatedly objected to being told to put their ipad away (held overhead while seated in the front). They were asked to leave, and then led out by their embarrassed adult child and grandchild (all of 4 years old) who memorably said "Nana, you need to listen to the teachers."

I shoot these same events with my K-3 and either the DA*50-135 or the Sigma 70mm from behind the folding chairs. With 24MP, I can crop down to decent headshots even that far back. We then publish them on social media (which I avoid like the plague) so everyone gets decent stills, at least.

06-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
You could hear a pin drop and like 2 rows of people turned to look at us. You would have thought that would have worked, but nope, after the shock wore off, they went back to talking...loudly.
They were mad he called them on their bad behavior and decided to act worse on purpose to piss him off.
06-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
A possible answer:

Uncensored - Trevor Moore: High in Church - "The Ballad of Billy John" - YouTube

Why is this happening? I don't know. But the world really seems to look more egocentric, less moral, and so on.
Thanks for this. Because of this I found this and laughed my arse off. New to me, bookmarking this guy...

I'm in tears. I can't stop laughing. This guy he's one perverted irreverent f- Awesome! ROTFLOL

Last edited by magkelly; 06-02-2015 at 07:22 PM.
06-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #19
Pentaxian

This is a generalization. The people who own DSLRs read about cameras and speak to other photographers, learning photography etiquette in the process. Cell phones provide everyone with a camera and many cell phone users have never learned anything about photography.

06-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I attended a young nephews Christmas concert the past two years. The first one had a dedicated photo time - after the students were paraded out the families were invited to come up and snap away for 5 minutes. After that, everyone in their seats. There were almost no ipads or iphones held up in the crowd, and very few cameras in action during the concert.

The second concert was several grades combined and much larger. No dedicated photo time, gymnasium filled with maybe 500 people. I-devices galore. Parents crowding aisles to get as close as possible, screens blocking views everywhere so everyone could get lousy blurry photos (gym light isn't very forgiving!) and not actually watch the event. I wondered why they didn't ban i-devices, cameras, and other recording junk, then have everyone pitch in $3~4 to hire a pro photographer or videography team to get some half-decent footage of the event.
06-03-2015, 03:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Complex issue, but I have a theory some of the behaviour is driven by a subconscious desire to use the device in the way it's been marketed, as opposed to what the user really needs.

Setting aside the individual acts of rudeness, the rude behaviour is in part a function of the number of devices used at once, the size and the ability to use accurately point the device in the upheld position. The device manufacturers, app designers and web based software providers have done a brilliant job of convincing the population that they need these things when in actual fact, they mostly don't. The consequence is a massive number of people using these devices to sate an impulse. It would be interesting to know how much footage ever gets looked at again after these events; SFA I suspect. How many will back-up the media in new formats the same way our parents stored photo albums and negatives; less than SFA is my guess.

It's ironic that we've reached the point where a DSLR is considered to be more discreet that a phone the size of a pack of cards! Who would've thought?
06-03-2015, 03:29 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget the picture itself is much less important than having something to post on facebook/twitter/snapchat/instagram/...

06-03-2015, 03:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm just so happy Apple doesn't build cars. (yet.) Because Apple drivers would be absolutely convinced all other traffic needs to give them right of way. Regardless of any other less important traffic rules.

I stopped taking photographs at family gettogethers to protect my family and inlaws. Because when I'm composing a shot an Iphone (or two) will very often enter my viewfinder. Funny thing is, after the last gettogether my mother in law (=iphone photobomber-PRO who visits my VF most often) asked me for my pictures because "they're always so very good". They wanted to print some canvasses to refresh the ones they have. She, and some other inlaws, expressed their grief over the fact that all they had to remember that fantastic day by were only some cellphone pictures!?! I think they actually really don't even realise what they do when they're doing it. It's brilliant Apple mind-control marketing doing it's voodoo.
06-03-2015, 03:55 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now, silly me, I thought Samsung sold more phones than Apple, so if that's the case then this is proof positive that having an Android device makes you more polite than an iOS device will. Arrogant Apple users! Maybe we'll see signs in churches urging people to buy Samsung phones, so their ceremonies won't be interrupted by all those ignorant iPad wielders.

Makes you wonder why they bothered putting cameras in Android devices in the first place.
06-03-2015, 04:03 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I'm just so happy Apple doesn't build cars. (yet.) Because Apple drivers would be absolutely convinced all other traffic needs to give them right of way. Regardless of any other less important traffic rules.
If Apple built cars, they'd be single seat, slow, easy to enter, exit and would run uniquely on an 'Apple' hydrocarbon that is mysteriously superseded every three years. Most importantly though, they'd be small and it would be socially acceptable to drive them inside buildings, homes, churches, shopping malls, etc.
06-03-2015, 04:32 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
First off, I think kindergarten graduations are stupid. I'm just going to straight up say that the only graduations I think really matter and are worthy of fighting through the bad mannered groups of iphone photogs would be high school graduations and college graduations. And by then most of the kids are old enough to not be offended if you just want to wait a little bit and take a picture of them away from the hordes, where you can get a good clear shot. It's not like I won't go to these kinder-grad ceremonies and such, but I can imagine they'll forget they ever happened before I do. I didn't have those when I grew up, and I survived just fine.
06-03-2015, 04:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyCorPhotography Quote
First off, I think kindergarten graduations are stupid
Missing the point. Events and locations where I've witnessed this etiquette issue: -

a) Wedding.
b) Theatre.
c) Sporting events.
d) Restaurant.
e) Awards ceremony.
f) ANZAC parade.

It's selfish, inconsiderate and for God knows what reason, the practice is actually becoming acceptable etiquette across all age groups and walks of life.
06-03-2015, 05:06 AM   #28
Veteran Member

First off, I think kindergarten graduations are stupid. I'm just going to straight up say that the only graduations I think really matter and are worthy of fighting through the bad mannered groups of iphone photogs would be high school graduations and college graduations. And by then most of the kids are old enough to not be offended if you just want to wait a little bit and take a picture of them away from the hordes, where you can get a good clear shot. It's not like I won't go to these kinder-grad ceremonies and such, but I can imagine they'll forget they ever happened before I do. I didn't have those when I grew up, and I survived just fine.
I had a preschool graduation, my mom even took pictures....and I am old. its nice looking back now and showing grankids photos of me graduating preschool. the point is people are much ruder about it then they used to be. because they need to get that perfect 'facebook' shot
06-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #29

I attended an award ceremony of my nephews skiing school once. 200 kids from 3 to 13, plus their parents and grandparents. With a huge collection of DSLRs, albeit no Pentaxian as far as I could tell. I was sent there as my sister couldn't attend and wanted me to take a few pics of her kid. As soon as the ceremony started all them DSLRs jumped up and rushed to the stage. It was truly a mob of paparazzi, and no one else was able to see a thing anymore with all them cameras raised into the sky. I didn't bother joining the ruckus and didn't take a single photograph.
Luckily my little sis was quite understanding in how I did not want to fight them over-competitive, flesh-eating helicopter parents.

But the school learned from this and placed a bunch of tables with seating in the following years, as well as calling the kids on stage one after the other. It got way more relaxed thanks to this.
06-03-2015, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

First off, I think kindergarten graduations are stupid.
In a child centred world elevating the most mundane events to represent milestones of significant achievement only goes to producing self-centered and selfish adults.

Last edited by officiousbystander; 06-03-2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Grammar