Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wimpy?

I don't consider myself wimpy. Back in the day I survived an infantry tour. But alas I am much older now.

Carrying a zoom strains the neck a bit plus it is not balanced to carry. Zooms don't tend to take the best pics.

My normal kit includes a fast 50 for portraits , a 40 pancake for story telling , and a 21 for selfies. This year I will carry the 77 in case I can stand back far enough to capture the magic portrait.

Add to that 6 sodas 4 cold packs 8 lbs of ice two metal insulated cups. A pound of peanut butter a box of crackers and various cheeses. Forks knives spoons. Paper towels and baby wipes. A Fuji video camera and 8 batteries. A 48 lb monkey on the shoulders. Couple water bottles.

So many peeps say take the zoom to Disney. But it feels like the straw that breaks the daddy's back.

Last year I took a 50 and the pancake 40. It was not that easy in Florida in July.

I don't want to sound wimpy but it adds up in the 205f. Zoom makes me lazy for the shot too.

06-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

I don't think it's the zoom. Perhaps it's the other stuff!
06-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which zoom?

I'm a fairly average-sized male, 6'1" 185 lbs, and dislike carrying bulk, so I feel for you. What you are describing does not sound pleasurable to me.
06-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm 5 10 170.

It is pleasurable to see the daughter meet the real Anna and Elsa. And all that goes with it.

I'm giving serat and blood in exchange for memories that last s lifetime. But I'm more beat up this year and she is 20 lbs heavier.

06-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I went to NYC last month. I wanted some zoom, just in case, but didn't want to carry a big lens, not only because of the weight, but luggage space was limited. I ended up buying a tiny $200 Sony P&S with 20x (25-500mm) zoom - the CyberShot WX350. For my K-S2, I brought the wide stuff. I think it was the best decision I could have possibly made. No, the image quality is not DSLR, but the convenience was overwhelming.
06-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Everyone has there own style and indulgences. I'll agree the zoom is superfluous weight. However, if you
are concerned about all that weight, I'd suggest dropping the sodas, (they're doing more harm than good on
a hot day). And the water bottles, (single use; unnecessary). And the cold packs. Substitute as many good
quality insulated cups/thermos as you feel necessary. For a trip to an amusement park, two quart sized
containers should suffice. Pack cups with ice, fill with water. Refill around the park as required. Refill
potential > infinite, no need for all that disposable weight. And if the containers are really good, you should
even have some ice in them by end of the day. All told, you will save more than enough weight to justify throwing
in a zoom if that's your desire.
06-07-2015, 03:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Try a neoprene neck strap. I use one from OpTech ( although there are many others) and it definately makes carrying heavy kit easier on the neck/shoulders.

I have also bought a K-S1 (light in weight and great IQ - ignore the whingers and their complaints about grip, 'disco' lights, etc), which I carry in a Kata Grip-10 DL belt bag, and an OpTech accessory bag in which I carry all my Limiteds.

Makes for a great light-weight walk around kit.

06-07-2015, 03:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I went to NYC last month. I wanted some zoom, just in case, but didn't want to carry a big lens, not only because of the weight, but luggage space was limited. I ended up buying a tiny $200 Sony P&S with 20x (25-500mm) zoom - the CyberShot WX350. For my K-S2, I brought the wide stuff. I think it was the best decision I could have possibly made. No, the image quality is not DSLR, but the convenience was overwhelming.
+1
This is my travel kit as well. In my case I take: a 18-135 on camera for day to day shots, so I do not have to change lenses with the family around and wanting to move on; a couple of primes for when i can get away to shoot early mornings or nights; and the travel zoom that is pocket-able (and it's also good to take when you don't want to lug a full kit round).

One last thought too: Vacations are supposed to be fun for you. If all that kit is dragging you down you gotta lighten the load. I actually stopped doing video of the kids except for events because I found I was too distracted from them trying to get the right angle, shot, clip, what ever and was not enjoying the moment with them. In my case my memory was far better than ever trying to catch a clip.

Last edited by wstruth; 06-07-2015 at 04:47 AM. Reason: add a thought
06-07-2015, 05:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

simplify
06-07-2015, 05:22 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Me, I'd dump carrying all the fluids and food stuffs, picnic hampers and the like, it's not as if your out in the dessert or up country.

Amusement parks usually have multiple outlets within their confines... where you can rehydrate or can take of sustenance as and when required.

It may also be worth considering a photographic vest of some sort, where the weight of kit can be more evenly spread over your upper body.
06-07-2015, 06:54 AM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Me, I'd dump carrying all the fluids and food stuffs, picnic hampers and the like, it's not as if your out in the dessert or up country.

Amusement parks usually have multiple outlets within their confines... where you can rehydrate or can take of sustenance as and when required.

It may also be worth considering a photographic vest of some sort, where the weight of kit can be more evenly spread over your upper body.
Disney World-bought concessions are EXPENSIVE. That said, I'd probably pony up unless I had a large party simply to drop the extreme weight of all those sodas and ice. That alone is more than the weight of your camera kit a couple times over. Sugar in the sodas will make you thirstier too..

That or pull a wagon with the food in it. But I'm surprised Disney lets you carry in food now that I think about it. I thought their policy was against bringing food into the park?
06-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #12

It's not clear how old your daughter is. Surely if she is too heavy to carry, she could walk? If she is too young to walk, then use a stroller. I must be a mean father, because I made my daughters walk as soon as they could!
06-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Take 6 pounds of ice and a zoom and you're a pound ahead of the game, and happier all around. I do agree with the heavy around your neck thing... I usually use a camera bag on my shoulder, for when the camera gets to be too heavy. All those lens changes have to be really irritating.

Last edited by normhead; 06-07-2015 at 10:47 AM.
06-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #14
Pentaxian

radio flyer red wagon!
06-08-2015, 05:53 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at sling straps for the camera. Much more comfortable than a neck strap.

Agreed, don't bring all the liquid. Bring a couple nice bottles you can refill. Stop at an REI or anywhere really and look for the insulated bike bottles. Polar bottle is one brand, I think. They keep the liquid cool for a good amount of time. Then you can condense your kit to a sling bag, belt strap or even a light backpack if you want. There are some very nice sling bags which rotate back to be a pseudo-backpack. You might even be able to tether the camera to the strap if you're creative.