Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 08:17 PM   #1

Amazon seller - DavisMax

Guys I need your help.

I want to buy a Pentax Da 55-300mm lens, weather resistant or not. I saw some advertised on Amazon from this seller DavisMax. The cost of the bundles are less than the individual lens. It also says in the details and features that the manufacturer is DavisMax.

Why the price difference?
Do you think that the cheaper priced lenses are genuine Pentax? I do not want to spend so much money and end up with a dud.

Can you guys just have a look on Amazon and tell me what you think.

Really need your help.

06-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The only thing I see that is cheaper is the older, cheaper version of the lens (new version is the HD with the red band). He is probably a grey-market unbundler -- he takes the kits (bodies and lenses that come together) and breaks them up and sells them individually. The lens are the real thing (but will probably not come in an original box since they came from a kit), but they won't carry the Pentax warranty so that's where your risk is. They should be considered used lenses in mint condition, essentially. If one is broken on arrival, you can return it (Amazon will see to that), but if you have problems down the road (even if within "warranty period") you're on your own...
06-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to take a look at KEH instead if budget is tight. They sell used but offer a warranty and a good return program.

https://www.keh.com/search/list?s=55-300&mfg[]=Pentax&category[]=Zoom+Lenses%2C+Mfg
06-10-2015, 05:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I purchased my 18-135wr from DavisMax. The description said it didn't include the lens hood and was in a white non-marked box. The lens was in a non-marked box, but I ended up getting the lens hood with it. The lens is in perfect NEW condition and I ended up saving some money buying from them. They were quick to reply to my questions as well. I had a good experience and I bet you will too. I imagine there is no difference between their lens and any other version of the lens.

06-10-2015, 06:02 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had a similar experience with another seller on eBay (6Ave) - bought a 18-135mm WR for $297. It was from an unbundled kit, came in a white box and with the original hood. I am pretty happy with it so far. There is no warranty but for a price that is $150 less than the full price, I figured if I run into issues down the line I could always send it for repairt for $100 bucks and still come out ahead (or have a legit excuse to buy another new one!).
06-10-2015, 06:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
Guys, thank you for your quick response.

I was just a bit unsettled by the prices and the info in features and details that said, " manufacturer-DavisMax". Apart from the customer reviews of the seller on Amazon I really appreciate hearing from others who used this seller.

I feel more confident about making my decision.
06-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I also got my DA 18-135 this way. White box, hood, etc Two years later the lens is doing just fine and the expired warranty I might have had is now a non-issue.
06-10-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Oh yeah, that's the other thing with these unbundlers -- on lenses whether you get the hood is hit or miss, and on the bodies you may not get the battery charger, etc...