Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tripods - Giottos and Benro - somewhat of a comparison

I don't have a clue as to where to put this - it seems to me that there was a category that included tripods & heads....

Saturday evening I went shooting the Milky Way with my youngest son. As we were wrapping up, he was collapsing my travel tripod - a Benro Travel Angle 160 (~ 7 years old now), and one of the leg twist locks, just spun around and around and around. It does not appear if there is a way to repair it, and I am leaving Sunday for two weeks in Boston for work, so I just swallowed hard and started searching the web for another travel tripod. Most of my shooting is going to be at night (working during the day) and my large tripod is too large to really travel with and will not fit in the luggage, so go spend some $$$$.

I found a Giolttos Silk Road 9353 ($133 @ B&H)- flip leg locks!!!!!, aluminum, about 4" longer folded up than the Benro. A bit heavier - but the build quality is outstanding. Also the center column flips off to the side by 180 degrees - nice touch. It just barley fits into my carry-on, on the diagonal. I am impressed. It makes the Benro look like a toy, and does give the old Manfrotto a run for its money.

I have had it out and tested it and it's very nice. With the Acratech GP head on it, its really a matched pair in terms of build quality. I did not have a lot of time to look. I had to order by Tuesday noon (local) in order to get it delivered. I checked the local Tempe Camera on line, but flip leg locks were only available for larger sized. I could have missed the others.

Yes, this does weight a tad more, but so far I am pretty happy. So far I'm very impressed with Giottos.

06-11-2015, 11:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Flip locks are quick, but some designs get loose after much use. I have needed to add shims to such tripod locks. Maybe Giottos have improved the design.
06-13-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some say the Benro tripods are nothing but Gitzo clones and Gitzo are no slouch in the tripod department.
06-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Flip locks are quick, but some designs get loose after much use. I have needed to add shims to such tripod locks. Maybe Giottos have improved the design.
The big difference is that the flip locks are on the exterior and can be taken apart and worked on. The twist Benro locks are internal and I can't get to them.

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Some say the Benro tripods are nothing but Gitzo clones and Gitzo are no slouch in the tripod department.
Well, the Benro is 7 years old and did provide good service. However, the Gitzo is built like a tank - and looking at it will last my lifetime. There is no comparison. It's sort of like comparing an old Tak lens with a new kit lens in terms of build quality.

The other thing is the Gitzo has a 12 year Manufacturer warranty.