Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 775
anyone heard of perfocal.com?

I had a post or two on my instagram pictures and they have a website, but you need to sign up to look at anything. It seems like a database of photographers for hire? I see no reviews or descriptions online

06-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 207
I stopped at "There are so many amazing photographers out there willing to work for a reasonable price" on their ABOUT page.
06-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 775
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rockdoctor Quote
I stopped at "There are so many amazing photographers out there willing to work for a reasonable price" on their ABOUT page.
I can't even figure out where they are based, what country. It also says "Be one of the first! Leave us your email and we will let you know when we go live!"

But they have an active instagram page so I was trying to figure out where the photos are coming from?

I have not intention of joining, just curious
06-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,517
5 seconds in Google:

https://angel.co/perfocal

WeddingDaily - INTERVIEW: Tony Xu, founder of Perfocal

https://www.facebook.com/perfocal

https://twitter.com/perfocal

They are a micro start-up based in Manchester in the UK.

I would still be sceptical of them. Any company that isn't upfront about basic stuff like their contact details should be treated with suspicion.

06-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 775
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
5 seconds in Google:

https://angel.co/perfocal

WeddingDaily - INTERVIEW: Tony Xu, founder of Perfocal

https://www.facebook.com/perfocal

https://twitter.com/perfocal

They are a micro start-up based in Manchester in the UK.

I would still be sceptical of them. Any company that isn't upfront about basic stuff like their contact details should be treated with suspicion.
well, thank you, my google search didn't bring up any of those links, so apparently google searching is slightly different even after a second search. no matter...those links are about as informative as the website. was hoping someone had more direct knowledge.

ops no I stand corrected , sorry , I found this in one article
"So far on Instagram (@perfocal_official) we’ve obtained nearly 8,000 followers, received over 100,000 likes, and over 10,000 photos uploaded by our photographer followers were hashtagged #perfocal. "

I was curious why they are actively tagging photos and people if they have so many to choose from already. anyway, just something that I was curious about.

Last edited by Murfy; 06-12-2015 at 06:14 PM.
06-12-2015, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,517
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I was curious why they are actively tagging photos and people if they have so many to choose from already. anyway, just something that I was curious about.
I forecast a short lifespan for them. I can't see why anyone would bother using them (their 'value proposition' ).
06-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3
Hi guys

It's kind of surprising and actually a pleasure to see people talking about your own business, either good or bad...you feel like you're really doing something :P
Having that said, I'm the founder of Perfocal, Tony Xu, as @rawr has already dug up....

@rawr was right, we're a micro-startup at a very early stage. We were based in Manchester before, but recently we just moved to London to join a startup accelerator MassChallenge (the world's biggest startup accelerating programme actually, see masschallenge.org). We're still at very early stage and I'm really sorry that the product is not ready to launch yet. But we're definitely a real company lol. And we've always been upfront about our contact details actually (you can easily message us on the landing page or find our email: hello@perfocal.com) and even though we don't have a customer manager yet, we reply every single email received.

The vision of the company is to create a better and different marketplace for all photographers including quality amateurs, helping them get paid jobs and manage jobs more easily. Also for the clients we hope we're making the process of finding the best suit photographer more convenient.

As a photographer, if you already get loads of high-pay jobs without much worry about promoting yourself, that's good. But the thing is there're still many photographers don't have a good way to get known by potential customers (mostly in medium-end market that customers don't necessarily hire a top-end pro but not satisfied by phone selfies), and many clients struggle in finding their perfect photographer. At Perfocal we'll match availability, price range, categories and locations for the two sides so both of them save some time. Simply think it as "Airbnb or Uber for photographers". "Reasonable prices" never means cheap, photographers can charge the amount they want as long as they're good enough.

Sorry again, we really should have had something operating out there but the development process wasn't as smooth as we thought. Good news is we're looking to privately test a beta version very soon (very likely in late July or early August this year). We're also busy raising investment to ensure a high-quality public launch. Although we're not launched yet, we think being active on social media is a good way to get some traction as well as obtain potential users. Please note that we never tag the others' photos on Instagram. Those pictures were hashtagged by those photographers so we're able to find them. We select some best ones to feature on our own page. Actually the newest number is just below 30,000 pics are tagged #perfocal now by photography lovers form all around the world.

It'll be really great to know what you guys think about Perfocal. Feel free to tell me anything. Thank you guys!!

Best wishes
Tony
06-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony_Perfocal Quote
Hi guys

It's kind of surprising and actually a pleasure to see people talking about your own business, either good or bad...you feel like you're really doing something :P
Having that said, I'm the founder of Perfocal, Tony Xu, as @rawr has already dug up....

@rawr was right, we're a micro-startup at a very early stage. We were based in Manchester before, but recently we just moved to London to join a startup accelerator MassChallenge (the world's biggest startup accelerating programme actually, see masschallenge.org). We're still at very early stage and I'm really sorry that the product is not ready to launch yet. But we're definitely a real company lol. And we've always been upfront about our contact details actually (you can easily message us on the landing page or find our email: hello@perfocal.com) and even though we don't have a customer manager yet, we reply every single email received.

The vision of the company is to create a better and different marketplace for all photographers including quality amateurs, helping them get paid jobs and manage jobs more easily. Also for the clients we hope we're making the process of finding the best suit photographer more convenient.

As a photographer, if you already get loads of high-pay jobs without much worry about promoting yourself, that's good. But the thing is there're still many photographers don't have a good way to get known by potential customers (mostly in medium-end market that customers don't necessarily hire a top-end pro but not satisfied by phone selfies), and many clients struggle in finding their perfect photographer. At Perfocal we'll match availability, price range, categories and locations for the two sides so both of them save some time. Simply think it as "Airbnb or Uber for photographers". "Reasonable prices" never means cheap, photographers can charge the amount they want as long as they're good enough.

Sorry again, we really should have had something operating out there but the development process wasn't as smooth as we thought. Good news is we're looking to privately test a beta version very soon (very likely in late July or early August this year). We're also busy raising investment to ensure a high-quality public launch. Although we're not launched yet, we think being active on social media is a good way to get some traction as well as obtain potential users. Please note that we never tag the others' photos on Instagram. Those pictures were hashtagged by those photographers so we're able to find them. We select some best ones to feature on our own page. Actually the newest number is just below 30,000 pics are tagged #perfocal now by photography lovers form all around the world.

It'll be really great to know what you guys think about Perfocal. Feel free to tell me anything. Thank you guys!!

Best wishes
Tony
and by the way I'm a pentax fan too! I did registered this fresh account to reply but actually I've been on the forum for a couple of years (although rarely post stuff). I owned several Pextax cameras, and still have a Pentax LX film SLR. Now waiting for the Pentax full-frame!

06-28-2015, 04:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 775
Original Poster
thanks for the explanation. My interest in not signing up lies more with my experience (and lack of), so that is why I wasn't interested in joining at this point. I was also curious how it would expand to the US, sometimes I see sites similar to this that start in a city and don't expand much further than a certain radius around that city. Thanks for the explanation and I hope everything works out with the site.
06-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
thanks for the explanation. My interest in not signing up lies more with my experience (and lack of), so that is why I wasn't interested in joining at this point. I was also curious how it would expand to the US, sometimes I see sites similar to this that start in a city and don't expand much further than a certain radius around that city. Thanks for the explanation and I hope everything works out with the site.
Hi thanks!@Murfy

We would initially start in the UK but expanding to overseas is always on the plan.

In the US there's a site called smartshoot.com.They're doing something similar and have been pretty successful. However we're still quite different from them as they target on professionals and Perfocal focus a bit more on medium-end market and semi-pro photographers.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody heard of daxmart.com? macdaddy50 Pentax K-30 & K-50 4 01-13-2015 02:29 PM
Anyone ever heard of this photolady95 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 35 09-20-2013 05:05 PM
Anyone heard of the latest FF rumor on Pentax Discuss Mail List? LFLee Pentax Full Frame 39 07-03-2013 02:05 PM
Anyone heard of / used this lens??? roliver Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 07-09-2011 03:51 PM
Anyone heard of "USAGOODSELLING.COM"? SlickYamaha General Talk 16 06-29-2011 12:08 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top