Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know you're a photographer when:

You get out of bed before dawn just so you can drive around and look for "the light".
Instead of enjoying beautiful scenery, you're predicting when it will be best illuminated for future reference.
The only clothing you take on vacation doubles as padding in one of the camera bags.
Your family and friends can't recall the last time they saw you without at least one camera on your person.

06-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by delegopa Quote
... when you start noticing blown highlights and chromatic aberrations in the newscast.
and interviews lit from directly above the camera producing horrible flat light.
06-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #48
Pentaxian

When someone asks you which camera to buy and as you explain the brands and features they backtrack and say "no I meant an easy camera".

---------- Post added 06-22-15 at 10:22 PM ----------

...when watching a movie or tv show you realize you are noticing the composition of the filming

---------- Post added 06-22-15 at 10:24 PM ----------

You decide not to use a 24 megapixel camera to photograph anywhere in your house because you might have a dog hair or cobweb on a baseboard.
06-22-2015, 10:27 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
when you come up with excuses and strategies on the weekend to get your family to agree to leaving for the beach later in the day so there will be better light.

06-22-2015, 10:47 PM   #50

when clicking a shutter makes you feel alive
06-23-2015, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know you're a photographer when your management coach shows you a iPhone photo that she took of you pretty much lying in the courtyard of your office building, in a dress, photographing pigeons playing in the fountains. (Apparently, she watched me for 10 minutes and I didn't even notice her.)

You know you're an animal photographer when:
1. you say things like "Who's a pretty girl?" when you encounter creatures like rats and snakes
2. you make bird sounds, or meow like a cat, or just random "whoop, whoop" noises, on the rare occasions someone asks you to photograph a human
3. your first step in Photoshop when editing a human portrait is to attempt to "de-booger" your subject's eyes.
06-23-2015, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
You know you're a photographer when your management coach shows you a iPhone photo that she took of you pretty much lying in the courtyard of your office building, in a dress, photographing pigeons playing in the fountains. (Apparently, she watched me for 10 minutes and I didn't even notice her.)

You know you're an animal photographer when:
1. you say things like "Who's a pretty girl?" when you encounter creatures like rats and snakes
2. you make bird sounds, or meow like a cat, or just random "whoop, whoop" noises, on the rare occasions someone asks you to photograph a human
3. your first step in Photoshop when editing a human portrait is to attempt to "de-booger" your subject's eyes.
I had to laugh at this one because this is definitely me. I always talk to the lizards, rabbits, bugs, and birds in the yard like they were supermodels and I'm always climbing things like trees and fountains to get a good shot, and yes, often in a dress, though down here you have to be VERY careful about where you rest yourself. I can't just lay down on the pavement or ground here. I'd be covered in fire ants in seconds. Also, in the afternoon here during most of the year you literally can fry an egg on the pavement. Me, I always want to get my best shot, but not if it means indulging in unnecessary masochism. Pain is so NOT my thing...

06-23-2015, 09:04 AM - 2 Likes   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
... you wake up at 1 in the morning to photograph the aurora borealis, then get distracted and take macro pictures of daisies illuminated with flashlights.
06-23-2015, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #54

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
when you come up with excuses and strategies on the weekend to get your family to agree to leaving for the beach later in the day so there will be better light.
I was thinking, '...when you try to plan a group hiking outing and you are puzzled when other people suggest times like 1 p.m. or 2 p.m. instead of 4 p.m.'

How about '...when you start paying attention to pictures in advertisements because you're trying to estimate the focal length and flash setup (or whether they used a flash) they used.'
06-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
I was thinking, '...when you try to plan a group hiking outing and you are puzzled when other people suggest times like 1 p.m. or 2 p.m. instead of 4 p.m.'

How about '...when you start paying attention to pictures in advertisements because you're trying to estimate the focal length and flash setup (or whether they used a flash) they used.'
How about 22:00 then we can get nice sunset pictures at the end of the hike around 23:30?
Or leave at 5:00 to get the sunrise at 6:00?
06-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
...when you reverse-engineer the lighting while watching a movie.
Been there, done that...

You know you're a photographer when...

-your significant other gets tired of you noticing aberrations when watching a documentary or movie
-planning a family outing/trip always includes prior negotiation about allotted photo time
-"come see the stars" is a synonym to "come photograph the stars"
-you actually make money with your pictures
-you're the de facto photographer for any and all family events
-people say "I didn't bring my camera, since you're here"
-you don't know where your kids are if they're not in your FOV
06-24-2015, 01:25 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You know you're a photographer when you panic when you are handed a camera with only auto modes. You know you're a photographer when you get scared when people ask to hold your camera.
so true ^^
I begin to see things around the house as softbox material, refector, flash holder.... ^^
06-24-2015, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #58

When you can fill in the blanks

14-15-21-__-35-40-__-50-55-70-__-85-100
06-25-2015, 11:03 PM - 2 Likes   #59

Instead of a cane, you use a monopod.
06-30-2015, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
..your backpacking gear is 10 pounds heavier than everyone else's - PHOTO GEAR!.