Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One way to test a shutter or battery

I was out yesterday and had some spare time before an appointment so I naturally enough went for a walk along the beach with the K5 IIs with battery grip. After a short while my business contact rang with the not entirely welcome news that he had a cancellation and could fit me in earlier. Oh well nothing for it but to pack up and head off to meet him. Placed the camera carefully back in the bag on the back seat of the car and headed off.

This morning I picked up the camera to review yesterdays work and strange, the camera will not turn on. Flat battery possibly, flat battery by 2 unlikely but..... whip off the battery grip and try both batteries separately in camera. Nothing doing with either battery. Mild concern at this stage. OK grab spare battery and relief, the camera comes to life. Strange that both batteries were dead flat but anyway put them on charge and think no more of it.

Until, I go to load yesterdays work into lightroom. Apart from my 15 or so shots from yesterday there are precisely 2,624 completely black frames, 2,624 all glorious PEF's shot at ISO 400, 1/160th at f22.Beautiful

The camera was set to shoot Hi-speed multiple frames, manual exposure and manual focus. Obviously I had placed the camera back in the bag still turned on. Somewhere along the journey a jolt must had triggered the shutter release and held it on until 2624 shots later, both batteries gave out.

Oh well, now I have a more than respectable shutter count, some dark frames so I can look for hot pixels and use for noise cancellation in long exposures. I do have a few spares, 2,623 to be precise, if anyone wants one.

06-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You also know how many shots you can get with those batteries
06-20-2015, 11:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I never understand why people don't switch off the camera when they put it in the bag Did you simply forget?

But glad it was a simple user error
06-21-2015, 12:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I never understand why people don't switch off the camera when they put it in the bag Did you simply forget?

But glad it was a simple user error
Well, lets call it a senior moment

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You also know how many shots you can get with those batteries
True, except when I am relying on them.