Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 04:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Precision Camera quotes

I'm potentially looking to send in a camera lens to Precision and I am wondering, before I do, if some of you who have sent in their gear to Precision can tell me how the pricing was compared to the automated quote online?

Specifically, I'm thinking about sending in my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 lens to get a couple of weather seals installed around the zoom ring (the thin, rubber gaskets) and maybe new contact springs perhaps. Precision's automated quote system states their repairs for this lens will cost 306 dollars! For a 15 minute job to install a pair of (seemingly) sub 5 dollar rubber gaskets and some new springs.

Have any of you had your quote revised downwardly (paid less) than the online quote. And, if so, would you please be willing to share the item, the initial quote, and the final paid price for your repairs? It would be helpful to get an rough idea of for what I'm in with this lens and Precision.

06-22-2015, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I have not had the repair done yet, I was quoted the exact same price for an undescribed repair in a DA* 200. I called to ask what the repair was that was included and it was SDM replacement. YMMV! So, maybe Precision quotes worst case?
06-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd send my Pentax Gear to Canada before I'd ever send stuff to those Precision Camera Hacks. I've read nothing but bad news about them on these forums. My DA*16-50 was repaired in Canada through "Henry's" who sent my lens to Pentax Canada repair. I have nothing but praise for them. I think this is their address, but not totally sure.

PENTAX Canada Inc. / CANADA
1770 Argentia Road, Mississauga, Ontario L5N 3S7,CANADA
tel: (1)-905-286-5585

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/98763-conta...#ixzz3do4pnzVy
06-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I've read nothing but bad news about them on these forums.
That's unfair as there are many positive posts about Precision. People who are unhappy are more likely to post and gripe about their experience so the ratio of bad to good posts is most likely skewed towards the bad side. However your concern is understandable.

I haven't been monitoring it but I seem to recall a few gripes about Canadian service.

If the equipment is out of warranty feel free to send it to whoever you want. One member had a lens repaired by KEH and was happy with the results (and price tag). The question is whether a non-authorized repair can get parts. It is my understanding Ricoh Canada will not honor the US warranty.

06-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
That's unfair as there are many positive posts about Precision.
Where are these positive posts? I've seen several threads on this forum with multiple people having problems with this company. I never saw that magnitude of negative comments coming from the previous Pentax warranty center C.R.I.S. in Arizona. I value members opinions on this forum and thank them for their experience....good or bad.
06-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd send my Pentax Gear to Canada before I'd ever send stuff to those Precision Camera Hacks. I've read nothing but bad news about them on these forums. My DA*16-50 was repaired in Canada through "Henry's" who sent my lens to Pentax Canada repair. I have nothing but praise for them. I think this is their address, but not totally sure.

PENTAX Canada Inc. / CANADA
1770 Argentia Road, Mississauga, Ontario L5N 3S7,CANADA
tel: (1)-905-286-5585

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/98763-conta...#ixzz3do4pnzVy
Driline,

Did Henry's repair the SDM? If so, I like Henry's as a retailer and might use them for my DA 200.
06-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If the equipment is out of warranty feel free to send it to whoever you want. One member had a lens repaired by KEH and was happy with the results (and price tag). The question is whether a non-authorized repair can get parts. It is my understanding Ricoh Canada will not honor the US warranty.

Yes there is no warranty here.. So I'm shopping around. KEH can apparently get parts as I've contacted them about my specific needs and they were pretty confident they could repair it (based on my description of parts/repair required) within their quoted 200 dollar flat fee for zoom lenses.

But 200 still seems outrageous for what I'm looking to have done. Still awaiting Precision to respond back to me as well as Ricoh/Pentax to my webform questions.. they both seem to be the slowest in responding... which isn't a good message to me to their potential service speeds. haha

06-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My camera is at Precision camera for the second time in a few months,had a problem with the electronics in the view finder not showing proper exposure value in manual or the proper EV value as it lit the 3 center indicators and stayed there.They reset the camera to factory defaults and it worked so they sent it back and never repaired it,something i tried before i shipped it to them for repair and it didn't work.It is obviously a problem in the electronics,most likely a small break that works one time and then move the camera around and then it doesn't work,if they would have contacted me or answered an email or a phone i would have explained that i did a factory reset and it didn't work.Precision camera had to know this was not a problem with the settings in the camera or the firmware so now i'm sitting here without a camera again for who knows how long?Took them over 2 months last time to do something i did in less than 2 minutes.I wonder if the good reviews for Precision camera are from out of warranty repairs,I'm guessing they make more profit from out of warranty repairs?
06-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
My camera is at Precision camera for the second time in a few months,had a problem with the electronics in the view finder not showing proper exposure value in manual or the proper EV value as it lit the 3 center indicators and stayed there.They reset the camera to factory defaults and it worked so they sent it back and never repaired it,something i tried before i shipped it to them for repair and it didn't work.It is obviously a problem in the electronics,most likely a small break that works one time and then move the camera around and then it doesn't work,if they would have contacted me or answered an email or a phone i would have explained that i did a factory reset and it didn't work.Precision camera had to know this was not a problem with the settings in the camera or the firmware so now i'm sitting here without a camera again for who knows how long?Took them over 2 months last time to do something i did in less than 2 minutes.I wonder if the good reviews for Precision camera are from out of warranty repairs,I'm guessing they make more profit from out of warranty repairs?
Well I'm hoping this thread doesn't turn into a whine and moan over bad service. I just want to know if their automated quote system is accurate or if they actually charge less and quote an 'average' worst case estimate up front.
06-22-2015, 04:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Who on earth is going to try to give you a maximum possible price when selling a product or service? They want to get their foot in the door, so it's at best a minimum I'd have thought.
06-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Where are these positive posts? I've seen several threads on this forum with multiple people having problems with this company. I never saw that magnitude of negative comments coming from the previous Pentax warranty center C.R.I.S. in Arizona. I value members opinions on this forum and thank them for their experience....good or bad.

I'm not here to defend Precision but I did have a very positive experience and I did post about it at the time. I sent my K-50 in for warranty repair in late March and it was turned around and back in my hands in just a shade over a week, 8 days if I recall correctly including 2-way shipping. The camera worked flawlessly after coming back from Precision and it even appeared to have been cleaned. So, there you have it... at least one positive post.
06-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is anyone willing to share the initially quoted amount and the final amount and the repair performed by Precision please?
06-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Driline,

Did Henry's repair the SDM? If so, I like Henry's as a retailer and might use them for my DA 200.
Yes they did. But they sent it to Pentax Canada for repair. Henry's is a great Canadian resource for Pentax camera's. They treated me more than fair. I would be happy to do business with them again. I spoke to a girl...don't remember her name, but she was extremely knowledgeable and very quick to let me know exactly what was happening with my lens and when to expect it back from repair. I believe it was about 3 weeks. Not a bad turn around to Iowa I thought.....
06-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes they did. But they sent it to Pentax Canada for repair. Henry's is a great Canadian resource for Pentax camera's. They treated me more than fair. I would be happy to do business with them again. I spoke to a girl...don't remember her name, but she was extremely knowledgeable and very quick to let me know exactly what was happening with my lens and when to expect it back from repair. I believe it was about 3 weeks. Not a bad turn around to Iowa I thought.....
What was done and how much did it cost? And also did you get an initial quote?
06-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #15

I had to send my k3 off the other month for a warranty repair....i was nervous as can be sending it there. Well, I followed the repair online and it was in and out of repair in two days. Got the camera back with the same issue and now with spots on the sensor. So now I need to do this all over again. The SD card I supplied with sample pics of the issue, now had their 50pics they took at the office. None of the test shots could've shown the issue I had. Good luck with them!