QuoteOriginally posted by canis Quote
dpreview.com
Name:  throwing-up.gif
Views: 330
Size:  37.9 KB

07-07-2015, 06:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Imaging Resources and Peta Pixel are my two top sites.
07-07-2015, 07:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also frequent DPreview but only when google searches take me there. I never specifically enter their url. I also enjoy following the Stunning Digital Photography community on Facebook / Youtube. Its a closed group to whomever bought their book. It can be busy, but you get to recognize the regulars even before you see their names. That can be neat. Tony & Chelsea Northrup can be fun to watch on their Thursday live shows. Their other videos tend to be educational also. I sometimes get tired of seeing so many images in my facebook, but often the critique can be useful as I can compare it to my own understanding (even if the photos aren't mine). The reason I haven't "unfollowed" is because of advice I've read several times about daily exposure to images and critique.
07-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I belong to some private FB groups that are very specific to my areas of interest (e.g., animal photography, nature photography). One of the pet photography groups I belong to is specifically focused on critique, and I get some very helpful input when I submit images to it. Another group I belonged to for a while (which was focused more on commercial pet photography) was highly focused on critique and business development skills. There were optional homework assignments, and weekly themes. A number of the members were actively involved in the Professional Photographers Association, and there was an opportunity to learn about and participate in "print competition" (via the FB group) as a way to learn more about how the print competition works in PPA. I also belong to a FB group focusing on shelter/rescue photography and it offers a mix of feedback and advice on working in a shelter environment.

So, all in all, I find FB quite helpful - if you find groups that are truly committed to providing critique and feedback, and not just "liking" your images.

07-07-2015, 11:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are some Facebook groups: Vintage Camera Collectors, The Darkroom, and Film Photographers Union have discussions going on. The photo-sharing groups don't tend to have discussion, but they can be good motivators to get out and shoot something on-topic every day. ArtPhoto Group and Kaleidos - Black&White are daily topics. The Official Black And White Challenge is users challenging each other. Pixel Induced is just photo sharing. All of these accept digital images. The Old School (FILM ONLY) Photo Group and Welcome To The Film Experience are both film only and have very few regular contributors. The Surrealist and Visionary Art Group accepts original artwork in any medium, but it should be surrealistic or visionary in nature.

There is also APUG.org (Analog Photography Users Group). They are very strict about keeping the discussions about analog photography and processing. APUG has a sister site, DPUG.org (Digital Photography Users Group) which I have never visited because Pentax Forums meets all my digital photography forum needs. Photo.net always pops up when I'm doing a Google search for answers to weird camera questions, but I have never actually browsed their content directly. Sometimes I go to DPReview if I want to see what the trolls are doing.
07-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I do not understand your criticism of DPreview. Am I missing something? I think your puking emoticon doesn't tell the story. I think the site is pretty helpful.
07-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canis Quote
I do not understand your criticism of DPreview. Am I missing something? I think your puking emoticon doesn't tell the story. I think the site is pretty helpful.
This site was created by people who were banned from DPReview. DPReview still doesn't allow linking to PentaxForums...not to mention they always find a way to rate a Canikon higher than a Pentax when they bother to finally do a review...

And the software they are using for their forum is like something out of the 1990s.

07-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Sometimes, I feel that this site can be a disservice to Pentax.
We are singing to the same tune.
It limits our exposure as well as limit others from getting exposed to Pentax.

I frequent
MFlenses - good exposure to old lenses
FM forums - high standard of pictures and discussion
Clubsnap - large base of various brands and its local to me (and the best non online Pentax user community that there is)

The sad thing to me is that as Pentax users congregate to a Pentax specific site, Pentax exposure to non users become a rarity.
No one mentions Pentax stuff much on other forums.
So an excellent brand with great lenses fall even more to the wayside in user perception.
07-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #24
Forum Member

Uglyhedgehog.com
07-08-2015, 11:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Sometimes, I feel that this site can be a disservice to Pentax.
We are singing to the same tune.
It limits our exposure as well as limit others from getting exposed to Pentax.

I frequent
MFlenses - good exposure to old lenses
FM forums - high standard of pictures and discussion
Clubsnap - large base of various brands and its local to me (and the best non online Pentax user community that there is)

The sad thing to me is that as Pentax users congregate to a Pentax specific site, Pentax exposure to non users become a rarity.
No one mentions Pentax stuff much on other forums.
So an excellent brand with great lenses fall even more to the wayside in user perception.
Actually Pentax is mentioned quite a bit on some of the forums I listed. There are a lot of Pentaxians on MFL, APUG, and there are actually like 3 other Pentax forums out there that I've noted. They're okay, but this is the one I like, shrug. I sometimes see a few of us on the M43 forum too...