Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what other photography sites do you visit?

besides this awesome site (and I am most sincere with that compliment) where else do you visit? I belong to some facebook photography groups and a lot of people post mainly fishing for compliments, or people that know each other praise average looking photos and ignore ones that seem very personal or experimental, especially if they dont know that person or if they are 'new' to the group. Just wondering other sites people go to for inspiration and helpful constructive critiques.

Last edited by Murfy; 07-06-2015 at 07:04 PM. Reason: fixed title
07-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are 'other' sites?
07-06-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not been there recently, but birdphotographers.net is not exclusively for bird photographers.
07-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #4

Reddit can be hit or miss.

07-06-2015, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
besides this awesome site (and I am most sincere with that compliment) where else do you visit? I belong to some facebook photography groups and a lot of people post mainly fishing for compliments, or people that know each other praise average looking photos and ignore ones that seem very personal or experimental, especially if they dont know that person or if they are 'new' to the group. Just wondering other sites people go to for inspiration and helpful constructive critiques.
If you are looking for some constructive comments and learn how to improve your skills, FB is probably not a good place to look for.. Most people using FB are looking for "likes" which IMHO are useless. I used to belong to a Photogroup in FB, I opted out since there were nothing to inspire as most were merely showing off their heavy/expensive gears. I am an event photog and I learn mostly from mistakes and constant self-criticism (in all aspects including preparation and post processing).
07-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

amateurphotographer.co.uk

theonlinephotographer.typepad.com

Both are a bit slow to load for me, as I am in China, but the first is cool for a British POV, especially about gear. TOP is very interesting, as Mike Johnston has masses of experience and ranges far and wide in his topics, yet has loads of useful things to say about gear and photography-as-art. Highly recommended, I read it every day.
07-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
If you are looking for some constructive comments and learn how to improve your skills, FB is probably not a good place to look for.. Most people using FB are looking for "likes" which IMHO are useless. I used to belong to a Photogroup in FB, I opted out since there were nothing to inspire as most were merely showing off their heavy/expensive gears. I am an event photog and I learn mostly from mistakes and constant self-criticism (in all aspects including preparation and post processing).
I had high hopes for this particular group because it started as a local site that was eventually shut down to due lack of funding, there were some pretty incredible photos when it was its own website. They published a calendar and book, but then the sponsor removed funding and the photographers moved to a facebook group. Many members were part of local camera clubs, and while they opened it up to any photographers, a lot of the main photographers that were on the original site have moved on. I dont really venture into a lot of other facebook groups because it just makes a lot of stuff to scroll through on my feed. But I still hang on to it to see what other local photographers are doing and events that are coming up. I do like looking through instagram, I enjoy that but of course that is just a like thing and getting the perfect ratio to be highlighted and getting more likes. you have to weed through a lot. but those are all I use. flickr seems like another like for like site too.

07-06-2015, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
07-06-2015, 05:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice subject.....some interesting new places to look at.......giving me something to read other than pentax FF threads!
07-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I belong and contribute to a guitar message board, a couple more for our NBA team, and one for our city.
07-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I belong to some facebook sites, mostly locally based. You can find out some interesting happenings and connect with some other photographers for events, but it ends up mostly as mentioned in previous posts in this thread. One local facebook group seems to be filled with people that just bought a DSLR or bridge camera and think they are pros. I guess they are because they are posting wedding and session pics, mostly pretty bad. I can here the customers now, The wedding photographer only charged a hundred dollars, and these are just as good as we would have gotten for a thousand. Or else they will complain and want money knocked off the hundred.
07-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

If you want a GREAT group, the folks in the "single in" challenge here are fantastic, and honestly helpful in their critique. Over time, we get to know one another well enough that we can be pretty honest with each other. When you know someone generally likes your work and they tell you that you flubbed one, it doesn't feel hurtful and they can just be honest about what works and what doesn't.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/29...ly-2015-a.html
07-07-2015, 01:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have several doll boards that I am on, that being my other major "thing" to collect. I'm also on a sewing forum or two and on some forums for people who make jewelry. I'm on a couple of spiritual and paranormal boards under another nickname that's just for that kind of thing. Photography-wise I have accounts as magkelly on APUG, MFL, M43, and of course I'm on over at Camera Enthusiast.

Technically I am a mod there, but honestly there's just been nothing to DO over there. It's been a very slow forum. Honestly, I don't check in as much lately. I should. I admittedly look sometimes without logging in just to see what's up but inevitably I end up twiddling my thumbs for lack of anything to mod or talk about and I just don't stay long. I kind of feel a little superfluous there. There's just been no real modding for me to do and not much going on that I feel I want to participate in. I'm appreciative of the fact that someone wanted to make me a mod, but I feel pretty redundant as such, shrug.

I don't talk on other forums nearly as much as I do here. This isn't just another forum for me. It's kind of like home on the internet. I'm here every day pretty much, several times a day. I can't say that about most of the other forums I'm on. My attendance there can be more sporadic. I come and go, lose interest, sometimes leave. But not here. I'm 5 years on this board now and I'm still cool with being here. :P
07-07-2015, 05:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It's not really a site for formal critiques, but XUKIE photo contests is a fun site. There are 4 to 5 "themes" per week, and then they are voted on over the weekend. You garner ranks, points etc. A friendly group of people from all over the world.
07-07-2015, 06:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

dpreview.com