Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Portraits of friends

Just a quick question.

I've been wondering about this but how do other members here go about "convincing" your friends and or family members to sit and be a "model" for you?

07-08-2015, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of my friends are animals, so I find that treats (squeaky toys for the cats and dogs, grapes for the chickens, and leaves for the goats) work well

Seriously, though, when I want to photograph people, I do a few things:

- I explain why I want to work with them and what the project is (e.g., a portraits course)
- I promise (and always deliver on the promise) to promptly send them images
- I promise (and never break the promise) to post only those images that they're happy to share (except that I tell them that I might share privately within my class/course some of the photos)
- Often, they've seen other work I've done, so they are almost always interested in working with me
- I try to make it seem like it's all about them (and that includes talking to them to learn more about them as well as photographing them)
- I try to find out if they need images for some purpose (e.g., a corporate headshot, a dating profile image), so that we do an image that they can use as well as do images that are part of my vision
- I try to give them guidance so they can prepare in advance (e.g., what to wear, not wear etc) without getting too dictatorial about it
- Often, they get to pose with cute animals (see above)
07-09-2015, 01:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
- I explain why I want to work with them and what the project is (e.g., a portraits course) - I promise (and always deliver on the promise) to promptly send them images - I promise (and never break the promise) to post only those images that they're happy to share (except that I tell them that I might share privately within my class/course some of the photos) - Often, they've seen other work I've done, so they are almost always interested in working with me - I try to make it seem like it's all about them (and that includes talking to them to learn more about them as well as photographing them) - I try to find out if they need images for some purpose (e.g., a corporate headshot, a dating profile image), so that we do an image that they can use as well as do images that are part of my vision - I try to give them guidance so they can prepare in advance (e.g., what to wear, not wear etc) without getting too dictatorial about it - Often, they get to pose with cute animals (see above)
thanks for sharing these valuable experience ^^
07-09-2015, 05:04 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

This is actually fairly common for me. A decent number of my portrait shots are of co-workers/friends. Many of whom are either also interested in photography themselves and want to learn a thing or two or they would just simply like some nice images for social media purposes.

A few examples:

07-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #5

Nice work!!
07-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Most of my friends are animals, so I find that treats (squeaky toys for the cats and dogs, grapes for the chickens, and leaves for the goats) work well
Free pizza and beer are usually better incentives for humans than squeaky toys. Usually. Depends on the person really.
07-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #7

Dunno, I know a few people who might be all over those leaves. ;-)