Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2015, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Photos you couldn't have taken without Weather Resistance

Weather resistance sure has been a noteworthy feature that Pentax offers, and should not be overlooked. Not only is it practical, but it really opens up more opportunities to get out and take unique photos.There have been quite a few photos I couldn't have gotten without it, especially as of late. Earlier today it was raining pretty hard and I sighted a rather rare Porsche 918 spyder hybrid (only 918 ever produced). I had no fear grabbing my K30, slapping on a WR lens and going out to get it wet! Also, I was taking family portraits the other day and to be able to get the shots I needed I had to stand out in the rain and take photos while the family stayed under an awning. Has anyone had similar experiences of photos they couldn't have taken without weather resistance?

07-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I went in there to photograph my son doing this here :

Fearless.
07-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok...I will play!

It is not obvious in this shot, but the camera was completely drenched in mist before I finished up. The lens front element and body (non-WR) had to be frequently dabbed dry with a clean cotton cloth, but all survived.

Steve
07-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

07-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There have been times where I am directly in rain, but 99% of the time, the WR for me is "ease of mind". I am confident a splash won't take my camera out or some other moisture event. Also a bit of dusty/dirty conditions won't either.

Here are some pics where I walked in the rain to get these shots.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/241474-nature-rain-in...r-f-2-8-a.html
07-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'll split hairs and say I could have taken this but would not have taken the chance of camera and lens damage without weather resistance. 2 of 3 nights in New Orleans had the heaviest fog I ever saw, much worse than what I've encountered on trips to the notoriously foggy San Francisco. I had trouble finding my way back to the hotel because the dense fog made it tough to read street signs.

P.S. I was on a station platform not standing on the tracks.

07-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Looks like Times Square is a popular rainy place @JinDesu! Spent a rainy/snowy afternoon there last winter. Had the K-3 with FA31. Was careful to point lens down when not in use. Made me wish I had the 20-40.

Square in Times Square
by John Flores, on Flickr

Square in Times Square

Square in Times Square

Square in Times Square

Square in Times Square

07-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

@johnmflores

I think Times Sq is especially interesting in the rain/snow because the floor tiles are reflective and there are just so many lights that it becomes almost day-time-ish even at 2AM in the morning. I used to walk there all the time for work, but recently have been office-bound.

I have a bunch more photos recently where my k-3 and DA 20-40 were just drenched, but been too lazy to put them online. Had a 3-4 hour hike two weeks back where the camera was just out in the rain the whole time lol
07-08-2015, 02:03 PM   #9

2 things made this image possible...image stabilization and water resistance! My wife and daughter hustling from 1 shop to another in a downpour:

07-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't ever worry about the rain irregardless. I'll balance my hat on top of a 50 or 77 and go. The weather seal on the body gives some peace of mind.
07-08-2015, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I don't ever worry about the rain irregardless. I'll balance my hat on top of a 50 or 77 and go. The weather seal on the body gives some peace of mind.
Yeah, and sometimes you're just lucky that your non-WR camera doesn't die.

Theta Image
07-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Back in the film days before weather sealing was a real thing, I took photos on the board "Maid of the Mist" at the bottom of Niagara Falls.
Wettest place I've ever been without actually being fully submerged under water.

Only protection was a hole ripped in the $0.10 poncho and the lens hood screwed on to hold it in place.
So, there is really no picture that could not be taken without weather sealing.

Where-as my top-notch weather sealed K5 camera was ruined in a single light rain. (and naturally not covered by warranty)

Go figure.
07-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Do you feel lucky, punk?
(Lol)

Yeah I do !
07-08-2015, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
Do you feel lucky, punk?
(Lol)

Yeah I do !
ha! Yep. Still go out in the rain without extra protection.

Honestly, the K-5 was in for a repair the week before and I suspect CRIS mangled the weather seals when they re-assembled the unit.
But Pentax backed the shop and not much I could do about it.
They kindly gave me a brand new K5 (for a hefty fee), and its as weather-proof as I'd ever expect it to be.

I'm just slightly not as confident about it now.
Sort of like being kicked in the nerts. You may tend not to walk quite as upright into oncoming traffic for a while.
07-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I had my k-x out in a hurricane once with a rain sleeve on. It died and came back to life lol.