Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

How have you found 500px?

I'm an amateur looking to progress from Flickr to having a website where I can sell a few images.
There are a lot of options out there, but am considering 500px.
Their plans are reasonably priced and seem to have a similar set up to Flickr where you can attract followers etc.
Their templates for personalizing your website don't look very sophisticated (compared to Zenfolio, which admittedly is aimed at the professional photographer).
So I'm interested in your experiences of success in selling images on 500px (obviously it starts with image quality) and any other observations you can relate in using that site.

07-14-2015, 10:54 PM   #2

500px is great for uploading photos and getting them critically analyzed by popularity let's say. I tend to use it prior to uploading them onto my website to see whether they are publicly appealing rather than just to my eye. When it comes to zenfolio, i highly recommend them. I have been using them for 3 years now. I tend to sell more photos on redbubble however. I designed my own template which I quite like but their own templates looks great and are quite smooth to operate. This is my zenfolio website. Have a look and see what you think. MATT BISHOP PHOTOGRAPHY
07-14-2015, 11:41 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nice website Matt. Thought I immediately recognised some of those locations around the Mornington peninsula (fellow Melbournian).
Yes I am going to check out redbubble too. Thanks for feedback
07-15-2015, 06:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think with any of these types of sites like Flickr and 500px, you get what you put into them. If you are active and post regularly and comment on other people's photos, you will get the same in return. I have not personally found the 500px community to be as helpful as the Flickr community, with regard to the comments they leave. But maybe that's just me. As a result, I've pretty much quit uploading photos there.

I'm not sure where the OP is located, but if you are in the States, look into Pixels.com/Fine Art America. It's the site I use to attempt to sell photos. I have sold a few items there and the feedback regarding quality has been very good. I have bought some stuff myself to check the quality and it's been excellent. It doesn't have as much of a community/social media component, although people can like and comment on your work. You have to be the one to get out and promote your stuff, but I suppose that's the case anywhere.

Just another site to consider.