Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-21-2015, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are You A Camera SLU-Um, Hoarder?

That other too sexy thread got closed so I won't go there except to use this quote to start this one. It rather amused me in context and made me wonder just how many camera bodies some of you all actually have. I'm not talking just main bodies that you all use all the time. We all talk about how many lenses we have but what about bodies? Come on, fess up what's the actual body count?

"I'm actually more curious to know how many cameras a person has had instead." --- 6BQ5

I am admittedly a total camera slut. In the course of acquiring lenses I've probably given away 30 or 40 (mostly film) bodies I didn't want and I still have at least 35 currently in the house. Some work, some don't. I probably use about half pretty regularly, but I admit it, I'm a hoarder though I do purge once in a while...

07-21-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Banned

I can understand that if you wanted one camera doing video while you shot, you would own an extra body. Or if you were a full time photographer with important shoots, deadlines, etc, and suddenly your body crapped out, it would be great to have a backup.
But it seems like there are a lot of casual shooters who own more than just a few bodies.
My first DSLR was a Sony A55. I sold my Sony A55 and bought the Fuji X100. Loved it. However, the ergonomics were a bit off and, though the lens was good quality, having a permanent 35mm prime left me feeling a bit too constricted. I sold my X100 and bought a used Canon 450D to give Canon a try (plus it was dirt cheap). I ended up selling the Canon 450D and getting a Sony NEX series camera. Then sold the Sony NEX and got a Canon 50D. I kept the Canon 50D and got a Panasonic of some type, I only had it for a few days before I got rid of it. I hated it. I still had the Canon 50D, though, and got a Fuji X10. I LOVED the X10. Despite being marketed as "lower end" compared to the X100, I actually liked the X10 much, much better. I thought about keeping both the X10 and the 50D, but realized I could only shoot one camera at a time, and I was enjoying my Fuji X10 so much that my Canon 50D just collected dust, so I sold the Canon.
I would play with other cameras here and there, but always kept my X10 as an extra since I liked it so much. Eventually I got my Pentax K-5 and kept the Fuji X10 in the bag right next to it. I started getting more lenses for my Pentax, a battery grip, a speed light, etc, and just LOVED everything about my K-5. I realized that I had not shot my Fuji in awhile, so I started intentionally using it for at least a few shots every single day. I didn't end up using any of the shots, though, as my K-5 was just making far better images. I recently sold my X10 because I just wasn't putting it to good use.
I still look at other cameras every day, as I love camera stuff in general. But nothing has temped me away from my K-5, and I (personally) can't justify spending big money on another camera just to have a "backup". I guess if I came across a great deal on another K-5 I would buy it. But that would be the limit on bodies.
07-22-2015, 04:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, actually that's why I have more than one DSLR, because I can't really have one crapping out on me and ending a shoot. But I have more cameras than just my DSLR's. I have more film bodies than anything because I end up getting them with lenses I want and sometimes people just give them to me to pass on or keep as I like. But I do also arguably have at least 3 digital cameras that are totally gratuitous in terms of my job. Two little M43 cameras and a Q, and no, I am not rich. I just happen to have a mentor who is pretty much with the most severe case of CBA/LBA ever. A man who loves passing on cameras he's not into anymore to people he's taught. Seriously he has a whole climate controlled room in his apartment that is probably as big as my master bedroom and my living room combined filled with cameras, lenses etc. It's his own personal ever changing camera museum. I keep begging him to let me take some pics of it but he always says "Nope. Not till I am dead..."
07-22-2015, 05:20 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
maybe not a camera hoarder, but I'm definitely a budding lense hoarder...

07-22-2015, 05:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Without getting too graphic...yes, I'm a camera sl*t. 6 digital, 8 film SLR bodies, 7 rangefinders, 2 medium formats...oh, and a Minox. I think I've only sold 1-2 lenses...and no camera bodies...in 40+ years of photography/collecting (okay...hoarding!).
07-22-2015, 06:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think I'll ever be this bad...

QuoteQuote:
Wooden planks where officers organized thousands of dollars' worth of guns were empty, but piles of cardboard boxes filled with expensive rifle scopes worth $3,000 to $4,000 each and books on hunting, guns and shooting remained stacked in the packed garage.

The scene Tuesday was far different from what police discovered.

Los Angeles police went to the man’s home last week after finding his decomposing body in a car parked down the street from the home.

Inside the home, investigators found more than 1,200 firearms ranging from high-end pistols to shotguns and rifles. Many had never been fired. Some were still wrapped in their boxes, with the price tags still attached.
News Distribution Network, Inc.

A couple tons of ammo too.
07-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

6 SLR's: One M42 Yashica, one Nikon FT3, Pentax K100d, Pentax K100d Super, Pentax K50, Pentax K3.

Several more point and shoot bodies, both digital and film.

07-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does having a Pentax Q, Pentax Q7, Pentax K-x, Pentax K30, Pentax K3, Ricoh GR, and Leica M9, (oh wait I have a Panny LZ10 and a Panny video cam too) qualify me as a slOt? That's harsh!
07-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Does having a Pentax Q, Pentax Q7, Pentax K-x, Pentax K30, Pentax K3, Ricoh GR, and Leica M9, (oh wait I have a Panny LZ10 and a Panny video cam too) qualify me as a slOt? That's harsh!
My father has my K-x, K-5 and Q. For digital cameras I'm down to the K-3, Q10, and Panny FZ-5.
07-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a bit of a slut, but I often discard them once I've had my way, so I'm not a hoarder.
07-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know whether the word you started to use - which suggests lack of discrimination in one's choices - is appropriate, but I have more cameras than the average American male has had 'partners' over his lifetime.
07-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't know whether the word you started to use - which suggests lack of discrimination in one's choices - is appropriate, but I have more cameras than the average American male has had 'partners' over his lifetime.
Are we speaking on "actuals" or the numerical equivalent of "fishing stories"?

I couldn't help it, you had me rolling with your post.... A++
07-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hmm... Digital, I have a few: k-3, K-5, 2 Qs; a Nikon S10 point & shoot that takes wonderful flower photos and I wish it would shoot raw; my GoPro Hero 3 Black; assorted crappy old digital cameras sitting in boxes (the s10 was the first nice digital camera I purchased); assorted iPhones; and I suppose my Skybell (doorbell with camera to see who's at the door) and assorted security cameras technically count.

Film, I have a Pentax ZX-L, a ZX-50 that I purchased on accident thinking it was a different model, and a Spotmatic F with a stuck or broken meter (at least, the needle doesn't move, even with a new battery inserted). And probably an old point & shoot film body or two in boxes somewhere from my childhood. Oh, and I think I still have a waterproof disposable Kodak in a box. I had to buy those in 2009, when my first underwater camera fried on a vacation because a single grain of sand stuck to the O ring when I changed the batteries. oops.

So, nothing even approaching many of the members here.
07-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Wow, I didn't realize that I would become a point of inspiration here!

I have 3 digital cameras : a Pentax Q7, an Olympus M10, and a Pentax K-3. That makes up my small, medium, and large systems.

Like most photography enthusiasts, I have many more film cameras than digital cameras!

For 120 film I use a Bronica ETRS. I recently shot a roll of Velvia 100 through the Bronica and depending on how it comes out I will make that camera my dedicated reversal film setup. Medium and large format transparencies are awesome and melt my heart. The ETRS is not loaded with anything right now.

For 135 film I primarily use a Pentax PZ-20. It has an Av shooting mode which allows me to use DA and FA lenses on "A". The PZ-20 has a roll of Agfa Precisa in it.

I received my father's ME Super and my uncle's Zenit TTL but these are rarely used. They are nostalgic but fully functional.

There's a perfectly working ZX-60 kicking around that sits unused since I got the PZ-20. I also have a Yashica TL Electro X that my wife gave me as a birthday present. It's a super fun camera to use due to the great ergonomics.

Lastly, I have a collection of Spotmatic bodies, two of which have CLA'ed by Eric. My favorite Spotmatic to use is an ES II followed by the F model. I'm thinking of slimming down my collection of Spotmatics and only keep the ES II and F. I have a roll of Kodak BW400 in the ES II right now.

One "problem" with film bodies is that they are relatively cheap. It's pretty easy to find them for $5 to $50 in "good enough" condition. I'd be spending more money going to the movie theater compared to buying a film body!
07-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
Are we speaking on "actuals" or the numerical equivalent of "fishing stories"?

I couldn't help it, you had me rolling with your post.... A++
Let's just say, please don't share the camera number or the other number with mrs. monochrome*.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-22-2015 at 05:14 PM.