Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2015, 11:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing I can say that the Wacom tablets have really gone down in price. I bought a small one a few years back and it was close to $300.
I have not used it in a while as I have lost interest in retouching in Photoshop, but can say it is a worthwhile investment that should last you years. Very handy when you need to clone something out etc.
When you get used to using it, it also is a great mouse.
I say go for the tablet and stick with Wacom.
Good luck with your decision

Randy

08-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
... I have for outdoor an iPad with the new pressure sensitive Adonit Jot Touch Pixelpoint ... but you can't say one of those tablet computers are as powerful as a Wacom Tablet. ... there are worlds in-between. But it's better than nothing ;-)
considering the note2 doubles as a phone, its more likely to be on hand, i like to carry as little stuff as possible.
08-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
What are your thoughts, fellow forum members?
Do you have an iPad? If so, there is $20 software that will turn it into a Wacom-like tablet for your desktop/laptop.

Michael
09-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
New lens or Wacom tablet?
Of the two options on offer... it would be the Wacom for me.

Daily and the ease of use would swing it for me.

09-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #20
PDL
Pentaxian

I recommend the Wacom Tablet. I have a Intuos Pen Tablet CTH-680 and it is invaluable to editing images. Using the pen when using the local adjustments tools in Capture One takes you to a whole new world of control. The CTH-680 also acts as a tablet interface (read touch screen) for my Windows 10 desktop. Now I have the choice of Pen, Mouse or Touch to navigate the machines environment.

Get the tablet, after a while your question will be - Why did I even ask?

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
09-01-2015, 02:58 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just a note about the wacom size. I bought a wacom Intuos in medium size. It is too large. I now have it configured so that I only use about 1/3 of the screen when retouching. I would recommend getting the small version, which is just as useful, easier to cart and store and you save some $$ as well.
09-04-2015, 01:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

In the second corner is a Wacom Pro tablet. I process my RAW image data with Capture One on my iMac and a Magic Trackpad. The Trackpad is a great tool and I think I have become relatively proficient with it. There are times when I feel that it lacks some accuracy and resolution for detail work but I always find a way to manage. Unlike the 08 lens, I am sure that I will use the Wacom daily. Even if I switch away from Capture One to a different platform I'm confident the tablet will be used. My concern here is that I don't know how much a tablet will change my photography. A new lens opens up new shooting scenarios but a tablet feels like it would open less. Perhaps I don't know the unknowns here? I also wonder if a Wacom tablet is at risk of being obsoleted by tethered iPads or an updated Trackpad.
If you do lots of local dodging and burning and need precise fine tuning (contrast, sharpness..) then it's a time-saver, it's a must for Portrait retoucher !!!
Get the small version, to do retouch you'll never use100% of the surface even on the small one. I use only 10% of the surface of the small Intuos (and map the 10% wacom to the 100% screen) ! yes, 10% only to avoid too much hand moving and move wrist only to save time (still very precise).
I bought the Intuos Pro for my retouches and I like it (it takes a few days to be familiar with the wacom, it's very very very frustrating at first so be prepared ^^), but when I master the wacom gesture I begin taking way too much time to retouch and head to the retoucher-way (and less photographer) because I care less about getting everything absolutely right in camera and depend more on PP (because I'm confident I can correct lots of things in PP)
I sold the Wacom after one month and find my way back to shooting, spend more time on training my composition and flash ^^
If you want cheaper wacom version, the wacom wireless bamboo is enough, no button on the tablet, but if you use keyboard shortcut a lot (highly recommend) then don't need tablet button at all

09-05-2015, 05:03 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get a wacom tablet - I did a review for one a few years back, and I still use mine. They are a fantastic tool that will improve you work.

I feel like my brushing-in with a mouse or a trackpad is hindered because I must tense my entire hand to activate the mouse click or trackpad click which starts the brushing.
I think a Wacom tablet would reduce the tension. Where there is tension there will inevitably be some sort of fatigue or injury that will result from it. I'm a classical musician, I know this stuff.
09-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #24

if you have an ipad and an apple computer. Try searching for astropad. Its a $20 solution that turns your ipad into a tablet. And you can see what your editing on the ipad, that kind of solution on the intuos would easily cost more than $500. The astropad only runs on apple computers. Visit their website for more info. Reviews are available on youtube.
09-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It looks like my old thread here has come back to life! That must mean I owe the forum an update.

I ended up getting a Huion GT-220 display tablet during Huion's annual Back to School sale. The GT-220 screen probably doesn't even come close to the display quality of a Wacom Cintiq but it's not bad at all. I still have my iMac as a master display for proofing. The pen works great in everything but Capture One. Manga Studio, ArtRage, and Autodesk SketchBook all produce smooth line and track the pen very well. Capture One chokes and freezes a lot. I've learned how not to overwhelm the program and drawing masks is now a pleasure! The accuracy is great and it is much, much, much easier than a trackpad with a finger. I enjoy the broad surface of the display tablet. The larger motions enable me to use a combination of my hand, wrist, and arm. It feels very natural.

Like I said, the only major drawback of the GT-220 is the mediocre screen. The LED backlighting shines through the screen, especially in the corners. In order to reduce the effect the brightness and contrast must be turned down to something below average. That means the room should be dim to dark for the screen to look at its best. This wasn't a huge deal to me since my man-cave is already dim. Others may find this unworkable.
09-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #26
Brooke Meyer

Wacom tablet. Bought a refurbed Intous medium 7 or 8 years ago and I can't imagine not having one for editing.
09-07-2015, 01:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Huion GT-220 display tablet
it's a whole new different tool, it's much more powerful than the wacom pro tablet ^^ you're going the PRO way with this
09-07-2015, 06:41 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
it's a whole new different tool, it's much more powerful than the wacom pro tablet ^^ you're going the PRO way with this

Well, I wouldn't call it "pro" but it's definitely starting to scratch the surface of that kind of performance. I definitely feel much more empowered and inspired in my processing. Masks that I thought were too difficult to draw are now easier or at least possible. Imagine working on a pine tree with its complex structure of branches and needles. Now I can set my tip size to something small and draw a form of a mask that can follow the pointed outline of the tree. It doesn't have to be perfect but it has to compliment the way the tree is lit. My overall processing time in these cases has gotten longer because I can do things that I would have skipped before with a track pad. Other processing, like working on portraits has gotten faster because the masks there are generally simpler. I can draw them faster now than before.

My kids have benefitted from this too. They like to draw and they really like drawing on the Huion. They like to spend about 1 - 2 hours every weekend drawing something. Yesterday my older boy drew a picture of his favorite Teen Titan, Red Robin, and I have to say that I am impressed with the amount of detail he put into it. Both of my boys love exploring the tools and presets.

So, it's Capture One on weeknights and ArtRage on weekends.
09-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Well, I wouldn't call it "pro" but it's definitely starting to scratch the surface of that kind of performance. I definitely feel much more empowered and inspired in my processing. Masks that I thought were too difficult to draw are now easier or at least possible. Imagine working on a pine tree with its complex structure of branches and needles. Now I can set my tip size to something small and draw a form of a mask that can follow the pointed outline of the tree. It doesn't have to be perfect but it has to compliment the way the tree is lit. My overall processing time in these cases has gotten longer because I can do things that I would have skipped before with a track pad. Other processing, like working on portraits has gotten faster because the masks there are generally simpler. I can draw them faster now than before. My kids have benefitted from this too. They like to draw and they really like drawing on the Huion. They like to spend about 1 - 2 hours every weekend drawing something. Yesterday my older boy drew a picture of his favorite Teen Titan, Red Robin, and I have to say that I am impressed with the amount of detail he put into it. Both of my boys love exploring the tools and presets. So, it's Capture One on weeknights and ArtRage on weekends.
That seems to be a lot of fun you make me want to get the Huion someday ^^
Congrats on the investment !!
09-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #30
Veteran Member

If anyone else is considering a Wacom, make sure you get one with an eraser! The cheapest models don't have an eraser on the pen... can't imagine having to hit "undo" every time I don't like what it see!

Cheers

Randy