Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2015, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Smudge on the back LCD

For years I have searched for some type of back LCD protector screen that would protect the LCD on my DSLR from smudging. I don't know but there is something about a dirty smudgy LCD screen that turns me off. So I searched the typical websites B&H, Adorama, Amazon, eBay etc. in the hope of finding such a screen. Most of the screens on sale were to prevent the LCD from breaking or scratching, but nothing to prevent smudges and fingerprints. Some screens claimed that they would alleviate smudges, but these were 30, 40 even 50 dollars and up !

I could not believe that in this day and age something like that was not invented yet. So it was up to e to devise something. My first idea was to purchase some type of Dulling spray that would hide the smudges on the back of the LCD. Then again, that might dull the picture quality as well as the smudges or void my warranty.

Maybe I could devise some type of acrylic net material that would allow me to see the screen(somewhat) but would keep the smudges away.but where was I supposed to find this material ? I was even thinking about using an extended eye piece that would keep my face at least 2 inches away from the LCD. My last idea was to tape a piece of plastic to the back of the LCD and when I needed to, I would lift the piece of plastic exposing a pristine and smudge-less LCD. Not a bad idea, but then I realized that since 90% of the smudges were created by pressing my oily nose against the LCD the other 10% by my greasy fingers maybe it would be easier(and cheaper)for me to just wipe my nose and fingers before every photo shooting session.

So this is what I did ! Now I carry a set of handy-wipes in my camera bag at all times and before I even put the camera around my neck, I wipe my nose and surrounding areas. This seems to have done the trick ! My LCD screen stays 90% cleaner than it did before. I didn't eliminate all the smudges, but there is a vast improvement. Unfortunately, you have to do this every 1/2 hour or so or the oily smudges will come back with a vengeance.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 07-25-2015 at 04:59 AM.
07-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've thought a few times about using a product like Brillianize or Rain-X, but never have tried it. They just make the surface super slipppery which may or may not help with smudges.