Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2015, 10:09 PM   #1
Pentaxian

KEH, FedEx, and a missing camera lens

I ordered a lens off of KEH last week, it was supposed to arrive today via FedEx. Tracking states they delivered it without signature to my door. However, I did not receive this package nor any today. I didn't see a FedEx truck or even get a knock on my door.

I suspect they delivered to the wrong address.. and perhaps that person just decided free gear woohoo.

Wondering what the most effective way of handling this situation. Go through KEH and try to get them to handle it or go through FedEx directly?

I should point out I contacted FedEx and was greeted with a Mexican fellow who could barely speak English. He kept saying we can start the process today and get you taken care of on Monday or we can start you on Monday and get a call within 2 hours of starting then. I was a little confused by that and he was very lacking in explanation -- I mean if we are starting the process today why are we starting the process on Monday? It did not make sense. I questioned him several times on this but he seemed to more want to get off the phone than anything.. I suspect they have an average handle time per call that has to be met and he was trying to hit metrics instead of help. So I just said I'd call on Monday he said ok thank you for calling click. hahaha nice customer service.

Then I decided to notify KEH via web form about this.. but I'm not sure if KEH should be handling this or if I should directly. I'm guessing KEH should but wanted to be sure before pushing them should they not pick up the reigns on their own.. what do you think?

07-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd contact KEH first, since they probably insure their shipments.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both, fedex will also try to get the package and bring it to you.
07-26-2015, 05:13 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
What I think he was trying to tell you is that if you wanted to start the process today you could. But you would not be able to get through the whole process and would have to call back Monday to complete it. If you waited until Monday it could be done same day with just a 2 hour delay between steps instead of an entire day.

07-26-2015, 05:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Our company uses FedEx. The quality of their service has gone downhill in a big way. I am hoping that we switch back to UPS. I have also found that requiring a signature on delivery doesn't mean much either.

Too many bean counters who have never delivered a package telling the drivers how much time they have to spend on each delivery. If they want to save money, they should fire the bean counters. Sadly it is like this in a lot of companins now. Everyone is micromanaged by an Orwellian management structure. I am so glad that I am close to retirement.
07-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You should tell FedEx you didn't get it, but unless FedEx finds it and shows up with the package right away, then you deal with KEH for a remedy -- after all FedEx is actually working for KEH, not you, and it is ultimately KEH's responsibility...
07-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Call FedEx right away! They can contact the driver and ask him about the package. Do it while the driver may still remember. I had this happen with a laptop I once sent out for service many years ago. The driver mixed up the digits in the address label and delivered my package to the wrong address. In fact, he remembered the address and told it to me. He said that a little old lady took the package. I was able to track down the address and drove a few blocks down to get my laptop. Mistakes like that happen. We're all human.
07-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It could be the item was delivered to the wrong address. Sometimes a driver might miss a delivery date and instead of reporting it, will report that they delivered the item. KEH unfortunately uses "FedEx Ground" which is not the best delivery system. The drivers are not very well trained and/or can sometimes be very unprofessional. I much rather deal with UPS although the same thing can happen with UPS drivers. The good thing about UPS is that your item is replaced immediately. With KEH you are dealing with used items that may not be so easy to be replaced...

Last edited by hjoseph7; 07-26-2015 at 01:37 PM.
07-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Some departments will be open today. Other's Monday to Friday only. He can do the paperwork so that someone can complete it Monday when that department opens. OR, you can call back Monday and do it all at once.
07-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

please keep us posted on how KEH handled this...
07-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KEH offers a range of shipping options.
Their least expensive option is usually FedEx Ground, which should not be confused with FedEx Express.

FedEx Ground drivers are all independent contractors.
In my experience service quality ranges from very good to poor.

Chris
07-30-2015, 06:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
what do you think?
Call 800-GO-FEDEX. When you get the recording, say "representative", and after the prompt, say "Shipping". You will then get a live body. Have your tracking number handy and say you did not receive the package and would like a driver trace.

Many companies (at least the one I work for) ships hundreds or possibly thousands of orders a day - with no insurance. The cost of insurance is more than the losses from mis-deliveries. And for the same reason, signature is only required on residential deliveries valued over $500.
07-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Have you moved in the past few years? I ask this because I had a lens shipped to my old address of a few years back even though I entered my current address during checkout and KEH used the old address on file.
08-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's why I always try and use the postal system and not couriers. The Canada Post parcel delivery guys have a specific route and they know me and where I live. I can also tell them if or if not if they can drop ship an item, as it's always the same people.

Anything coming form outside Canada also gets charged high import fees by the courier companies, Canada Post rates are way cheaper and alot of times you get charged no import taxes. That NEVER happens with courier companies, they milk you for ever penny they can get with "extra" charges for this and that.

Phil.