Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 01:37 AM   #1

PPG: "not a PENTAX camera" error

Greetings fellow Pentaxians,
I am a Mac user and just switched from Apple Photos to Adobe Lightroom.
Edited a couple shots and wanted to submit them to Pentax Photo Gallery.
When I uploaded the photos, PPG said my photos are not taken by a Pentax camera.
I am pretty sure all metadata are preserved when I exported the photos.
I'm not sure it's Lightroom or PPG. Has anyone had similar issues before?
Thanks!

Last edited by odyseuss; 07-27-2015 at 02:18 AM.
07-27-2015, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you use the support form this is the reply you will receive...

QuoteQuote:
The problem you have is a known issue for Lightroom 6 files. Lightroom 6 files contain more metadata info than Lightroom 5 files. When you upload images created by Lightroom 6, the website is not reading the correct field. It is a Lightroom 6 bug. The solution is to modify the Exif data before you upload the image. We installed a software from the app store named Photo Meta Edit ($3.99) on our mac. If you use PC, I'm sure there are software you may use for editing exif data. Open the file in Photo Meta Edit, look for the line with the tag name "Orientation". Right click on that line and choose "delete". Then, save the file. You should be able to upload your image after that.

The second option is to resave the file in photoshop without meta data and then enter the metadata when you upload the image.
You can do the same thing in Terminal using ExifTool

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 6.49.40 AM.png
Views: 461
Size:  92.3 KB

Drag and drop the file to automatically enter the Path.

You can do this with multiple files using a wildcard too...(i.e. *.jpg)

Code:
exiftool -Orientation= /PathToDirectory/*.jpg
07-27-2015, 03:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know that Lightroom has both import and export settings that have to be set right or it can strip metadata. My guess is that Apple does too, and I would not be surprised that Apple changes some since they are so proprietary. If you could post a photo somebody here will most likely figure it out.
07-27-2015, 04:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I know that Lightroom has both import and export settings that have to be set right or it can strip metadata. My guess is that Apple does too, and I would not be surprised that Apple changes some since they are so proprietary. If you could post a photo somebody here will most likely figure it out.
In this case it is not Apple doing anything to the EXIF. It is a case of Adobe adding EXIF in Lightroom CC (6).

07-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
When you upload images created by Lightroom 6, the website is not reading the correct field. It is a Lightroom 6 bug.
These two statements do not seem consistent. Why doesn't PPG just change their website to read the correct field?!
07-27-2015, 07:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
These two statements do not seem consistent. Why doesn't PPG just change their website to read the correct field?!
Little doubt, PPG was an outside job and changing the fields means hiring the company to do it. Cheaper to make the users do the workaround.
07-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Yeah, sounds like a PPG bug, not a Lightroom bug. Adding more metadata is not a problem, reading it wrong is. They can't possibly just be picking out the field by index number?? (Which would probably lead to many many errors, not just this one.) Maybe they are only reading in a certain number of fields (thinking that's all of them) and the one they want has been pushed out of the range so they need to delete one of the other ones that comes before it.

07-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #8

Original Poster
Guys, thanks so much for your inputs and thoughts.
The issue has been solved using ExifTool (boriscleto, thanks for pointing me to such a handy tool).
Flickr does not have this problem with the exact same photo I was trying to upload.
So I'm hoping PPG could someday modify their script to accommodate the new fields.
08-05-2015, 06:38 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by odyseuss Quote
Guys, thanks so much for your inputs and thoughts.
The issue has been solved using ExifTool (boriscleto, thanks for pointing me to such a handy tool).
Flickr does not have this problem with the exact same photo I was trying to upload.
So I'm hoping PPG could someday modify their script to accommodate the new fields.
Apparently after the latest Lightroom update you don't have to do this anymore. At least I didn't have to for the last 3 images I exported for upload.