Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2015, 05:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,386
Ricoh women's british open 2015

Ricoh women's British golf open will be held at:
Trump Turnberry Resort, Scotland, 30th July 2nd August

Will we see Ricoh and Pentax cameras on billboards ?
How many photo journalists will turn up or made to turn up with Ricoh supplied cameras ? I wonder.

Surely Ricoh wouldn't miss an opportunity such as this which is of their own making, would they ?

07-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,325
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Surely Ricoh wouldn't miss an opportunity such as this which is of their own making, would they ?
Will be interesting to see but I suspect most of the cameras will wear a different label. Maybe they will make the off brands cover their logos with black tape.
07-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,389
Ricoh has been sponsoring tennis tournaments for a long time -- yet to see a camera ad anywhere. I used to see a lot of Ricoh ads (pre-Pentax) for their office/document services, but not for years.
07-29-2015, 06:54 AM   #4
Banned




Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,674
Ricoh is not interested in photographers working for them at these events.


Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 07-29-2015 at 08:16 AM.
07-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,325
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Ricoh is not interested in photographers working for them at these events.
So what are they interested in?
07-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,386
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So what are they interested in?
That's what I like to know
07-30-2015, 01:44 AM   #7
Banned




Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,674
I don't think there is currently anything between Ricoh national centre's (this one is sponsort by Ricoh England) and the Pentax Brand. So they will use some images from the tournament made by either a hier photographer for the event or from some agenda that has a photographer working there. No matter what Brand camera used and it just isn't Pentax.
07-30-2015, 04:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,386
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
No matter what Brand camera used and it just isn't Pentax.
But it should be, who else would use Pentax gear if not even Ricoh themselves will at their own event. Surely they could find some photographer willing to take on the challenge. I bet you would have jumped at the chance.

Cheers

07-30-2015, 06:24 AM   #9
Banned




Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,674
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
But it should be, who else would use Pentax gear if not even Ricoh themselves will at their own event. Surely they could find some photographer willing to take on the challenge. I bet you would have jumped at the chance.

Cheers
They are not interested. This was also for the tennistournament nearby.


QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well there are many signs that there is not to much future........

Last year I was at the WTA and ATP tournament nearby where Ricoh is One of the big sponsors. They where not interested in images made with their own Pentax camera's. They have someone from the tournament doing that payed Job.

So this year I didn't go, since no sales to be expected. What are we talking about....

http://pinterest.com/pin/506936501783762215/?s=4&m=twitter

So these Ricoh presentation are made with a Nikon camera. I bet you that Canon would never do this. Basicly there is nothing between Ricoh and the miniature camera division.
07-30-2015, 07:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,389
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
But it should be, who else would use Pentax gear if not even Ricoh themselves will at their own event. Surely they could find some photographer willing to take on the challenge. I bet you would have jumped at the chance.
It isn't "their" event -- they just sign some checks and put their name on some things. Sponsoring a tournament has no effect on the way it is run or how people do their jobs. Especially independent and press photographers that don't even work for the tournament -- why would they care? Next time it may be sponsored by someone else, and the only thing that will have changed is who signed the checks and put their name on some things.
07-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,325
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It isn't "their" event -- they just sign some checks and put their name on some things. Sponsoring a tournament has no effect on the way it is run or how people do their jobs. Especially independent and press photographers that don't even work for the tournament -- why would they care? Next time it may be sponsored by someone else, and the only thing that will have changed is who signed the checks and put their name on some things.
True. But. If the marketing department was sharp they would have someone on site taking photos with Pentax gear that could be used in a later ad campaign. That would need to be negotiated with the event but should be part of the sponsorship contract. If they are just a 'sponsor' that might not be possible. But if they are the 'Name Sponsor' it certainly should.
07-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,389
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
True. But. If the marketing department was sharp they would have someone on site taking photos with Pentax gear that could be used in a later ad campaign. That would need to be negotiated with the event but should be part of the sponsorship contract. If they are just a 'sponsor' that might not be possible. But if they are the 'Name Sponsor' it certainly should.
And they may well do that, but it isn't something you'd notice watching the event. If you actually go to the event, maybe they have a booth or whatever. But as far as I've seen, Ricoh sponsoring tournaments has been about Ricoh, not Pentax (and they've been doing it since long before they had Pentax), and so you'd see their name and maybe in some markets commercials for their copier business. Just like when Chase sponsors a tournament, it is just to put the name "Chase" on things and run some ads, not to go to the tournament and do some banking...
07-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,325
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
you'd see their name and maybe in some markets commercials for their copier business. Just like when Chase sponsors a tournament, it is just to put the name "Chase" on things and run some ads, not to go to the tournament and do some banking...
Makes sense. I see Ricoh banners at a number of venues. It is just to put 'Ricoh' in front of your eyes for a second. Advertising impressions.
07-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #14
Banned




Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,674
And that's why there is nothing between Ricoh and Pentax.


So here is Paula Creamer, global ambassador for Ricoh, and attending this golftournament and even in 2015 she still isn't portrait with a Pentax camera. Probably never will, since no one cares. The 2015 is made by a getty photographer, so that would be a Canon.

LPGA Founders Cup - Portraits | View photo - Yahoo Sports
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cameras, photography, ricoh
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ricoh's Booth at CP+ 2015 Docrwm Pentax News and Rumors 80 02-10-2015 04:37 AM
Photokina 2014: Ricoh confirm full frame camera is coming in 2015 Mistral75 Pentax News and Rumors 671 01-29-2015 08:45 AM
Open letter to Ricoh old4570 Pentax DSLR Discussion 29 12-16-2014 05:31 AM
An Open Letter to Sony, Ricoh, Hasselblad and Phase One Lucky-Luc Photographic Industry and Professionals 8 11-15-2014 05:49 PM
Ricoh Womens British Open (golf) jimr-pdx Pentax News and Rumors 5 08-01-2011 04:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:52 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top