Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2015, 08:17 PM   #1

Adorama fail

The 2nd hand DA* 300 ordered from them arrived here in Australia without the standard inclusions of soft case and lens hood. I would have thought it proper to mention those absences in the website listing. It would have influenced my decision.

Its lens cap was also broken.

Because of shipping time the unit is out of the 30 day return warranty. I had asked for this to apply from the date of delivery here, which I could document, but Adorama declined.

07-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sigmund Quote
The 2nd hand DA* 300 ordered from them arrived here in Australia without the standard inclusions of soft case and lens hood. I would have thought it proper to mention those absences in the website listing. It would have influenced my decision.

Because of shipping time the unit is out of the 30 day return warranty. I had asked for this to apply from the date of delivery here, which I could document, but Adorama declined.
I'm sure if you contact Helen Oster here on the forums they will make it right.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2015, 09:40 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm sure if you contact Helen Oster here on the forums they will make it right.
One of the great things about this site!
07-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
Indeed.
Thanks Adam.

07-29-2015, 10:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Sorry you had an issue. Adorama does say that used items come without accessories but maybe they should make it more prominent. If I click the rating explanation I get a popup message that says:
How We Rate
...[I omitted the table of ratings for brevity]...

Accessories:

New - As Packaged by manufacturer
For all other grades - Instruction books, caps, batteries, cases, hoods and straps are sold separately, except when specified. [red emphasis is mine]
All digital cameras are packed with Battery and charger except when stated otherwise.

07-29-2015, 10:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks.
That's well buried.
2 caps were included btw.
07-29-2015, 10:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It's buried plus not entirely accurate. Many of their used lenses have caps and some other accessories. I think they put the text in there because some packaging and accessories might be missing, and it's easier to say nothing is included than it is to say exactly what's with each lens.

07-30-2015, 07:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
One of the great things about this site!
I'll second that! And about Adorama.
07-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
Adorama Camera Representative

My colleague, Jorge, from the used department will be in touch with you shortly to discuss how to make this right.

Regarding the advice you were given in relation to not being to return the item: the 30 days returns period commences from the date it was delivered to the shipping address you gave us, in Nevada.

We wouldn't usually extend the returns period for items forwarded on to another address. I am sure that Jorge will do his best to come to a mutually agreeable conclusion.

Last edited by Helen Oster; 07-30-2015 at 09:58 AM.
07-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply Helen.

Yes, I use a shipping agent for goods sent to Australia. They offer more choices which is necessary when our dollar only buys 73 US cents.

I would have been able to document date of delivery here.
07-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
Adorama Camera Representative

Thanks for your reply Helen.

Yes, I use a shipping agent for goods sent to Australia. They offer more choices which is necessary when our dollar only buys 73 US cents.

I would have been able to document date of delivery here.
I think you really need to discuss this with Jorge - he left you a voice message.
07-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #12

Original Poster
So this is the upshot on Adorama's position: they are sticking to their policy as reproduced in DeadJohn's post above.

The lens hood wasn't listed as included so I shouldn't have expected it. Nor the case.

They will kindly replace the broken lens cap.

This is in my opinion woeful business practice, both in lack of clarity about what's included in a 2nd hand purchase, and in dealing with a customer service problem.

The upshot for other buyers is that you should inquire in detail about what comes with any 2nd hand deal. A standard inclusion with a new purchase is not standard here. In fact the item descriptions produced by 'amateurs' selling stuff here are done better. If there's not an original cap eg you are informed there's an aftermarket unit.

In my case, the lens hood that's missing fits only two Pentax lenses - so that means two lenses in the known universe. Amazon lists a new original unit, supplied by Adorama as it happens. $25 for the unit, and $73 to ship to Australia. With currency conversion, that would cost me AUD 133.

Adorama fails, three times.

Never ever again.

---------- Post added 07-31-15 at 06:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
I think you really need to discuss this with Jorge - he left you a voice message.
No, he sent an email.

In that he asked me to contact him by phone.

An international call is difficult, not least because of the 12 hour time difference.

I asked him to deal with this via email and he did so. There is to be no change to your obscurely posted policy.
07-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #13

Original Poster
I am pleased to say that Adorama have now undertaken to send me a case and hood for the lens.

Many thanks Helen.
07-30-2015, 03:35 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad you got it settled. But I wouldn't actually call out Adorama as fail. They are just following the store protocols. Now with this thread made, it'll be wise to fully make sure you know what used item you're getting before you buy it, even if it means calling the store.
07-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #15

Original Poster
I'd call the 2nd hand inclusions policy and particularly the way it's presented on the website as shall we say 'not best practice'.

But I applaud their prompt resolution of this matter.