Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2015, 12:26 PM - 2 Likes   #1

An honest bloke and genius in England

For the second time with my out of warranty lenses I have had to send them in for repair with various faults. On one occasion Pentax wanted to charge me 300€ For repairing a motor issue with my 55-300 lens. I found a bloke in the UK who works out of home and he fixed rhe issue for £50. He said it was a piece of plastic glass that had warped. A few weeks ago my 16-50 sdm packed it after a fall. The zoom and focus jammed. I sent it directly to the same technician in the UK and Today I got an email back from the him saying he's fixed the issue and has charge me £70 inc postage to Italy. This guy is a genius and is very very honest. I would recommend him to anyone with Pentax technical issues out of warranty. The guy's name is Alan Marlow. Anyone who needs his contact let me know

07-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice!
07-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the information!
07-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Good to know. Does he do body work as well?

07-30-2015, 11:51 PM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, I have bookmarked his homepage - just in case...

@clockworkrat yes, he does bodies as well. Have a look at his homepage: http://www.cam-rep.co.uk/
07-31-2015, 01:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
For the second time with my out of warranty lenses I have had to send them in for repair with various faults. On one occasion Pentax wanted to charge me 300€ For repairing a motor issue with my 55-300 lens. I found a bloke in the UK who works out of home and he fixed rhe issue for £50. He said it was a piece of plastic glass that had warped. A few weeks ago my 16-50 sdm packed it after a fall. The zoom and focus jammed. I sent it directly to the same technician in the UK and Today I got an email back from the him saying he's fixed the issue and has charge me £70 inc postage to Italy. This guy is a genius and is very very honest. I would recommend him to anyone with Pentax technical issues out of warranty. The guy's name is Alan Marlow. Anyone who needs his contact let me know
Umm, ..., the DA 55-300 doesn't have a motor! Are you sure it was good value?
07-31-2015, 07:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
In fact, that's what Pentax (Hoya France) said. Cheeky buggers

07-31-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
In fact, that's what Pentax (Hoya France) said. Cheeky buggers
No really, there is no motor in the 55-300. It's screw driven by the camera.
08-01-2015, 05:51 AM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

What is plastic glass? I thought an object can either be plastic or glass. Are you sure you know what they really repaired?

As it has already been said, that lens has no motor inside.. so perhaps they repaired some kind of gearing that links to the AF mechanism? I know my Pentax 360 flash sometimes gets the zoom stuck and that is due to a plastic gear that gets out of alignment. They designed it cheaply but it is an easy repair of simply pushing the gear back up into position. Wonder if it is something similar in this lens..