Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2015, 06:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What is the Leica mystique all about?

Is it the quality? The price? Implied prestige? All or none of the above? I've been trying to figure it out, but separating fact from BS seems to be exponentially tougher for Leica than any other brand.

08-07-2015, 06:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All of the above. It's the same for any high-end product.
08-07-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Their lenses are indeed exceptional -- no duds in their lineup.
Service and repair around the world are also top notch, albeit not cheap.
The other obvious part is the (high) price and subsequent status associated with it.
Not a bad niche to be in given the race to the bottom that every other camera manufacturer seems to be headed these days.

Michael
08-07-2015, 06:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Leica has offered tremendous quality in bodies and lenses for a long time, and they have always had their own ways of doing things. Manual focus, low on features, high on quality. Special materials, hand made in Germany, and made to live forever... Only the cheaper Leicas isn't true Leicas, they are made by Panasonic and are - frankly - overpriced Panasonics. Today Leica is perhaps more about accessory as a luxury item than photography, only few photographers can afford them...

08-07-2015, 06:42 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Is it the quality? The price? Implied prestige? All or none of the above? I've been trying to figure it out, but separating fact from BS seems to be exponentially tougher for Leica than any other brand.
We are not allowed to tell you.
08-07-2015, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why don't you ask Ned Bunnell?
08-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You need to own one before you can be told, however once your in the cult you can't leave.
I think their cameras are overpriced for what they deliver performance wise but that's not the value they are being considered at. It's a little bit of paying heavily for the best and exclusivity. I have a pair of Leica binoculars they are absolutely the best but what does that mean so many binoculars are really really good but to be that extra 5% better requires materials and attention to detail that costs way more.

08-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always felt that it was Leica's glass that was at the heart of their "mystique". Build quality is certainly part of it, too, but Leica built their reputation in an era where lenses were a huge factor in image quality. It may be just me, but I make a distinction between the look of Leica's rangefinder lenses vs their SLR lenses. Their SLR lenses never seemed significantly better than the best from the other major manufacturers. But when you hit the sweet spot with one of their rangefinder lenses, the pictures used to seem to jump off the screen.
08-07-2015, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
You need to own one before you can be told, however once your in the cult you can't leave.
Sounds much like Hotel California ... !

I have a friend who own an "old" film Leica -- I don't know which model --- but he apparently will never part with it!
08-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

What is the Leica mystique all about?
mystique - A quality lacking substance or reality surrounding a thing.
Leica mystique is a humbug - a nonsense
08-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
mystique - A quality lacking substance or reality surrounding a thing.
Leica mystique is a humbug - a nonsense
Ouch!!!!

Honestly, I think, it's the build quality, the tightness, the heft. As for the IQ, I still can't see a thousand dollars worth of difference.

Having bought recently into that "mystique", I think it's akin to buying a Mazda vs. a BMW. there's an obvious difference, as to the question of whether it's worth the difference or not, will require a very emotionally charged, and subjective reply, depending on who you'll ask, a Leica owner or a non-owner.

As they say, for Leica owners, Leica is not a photography tool. It's a religion.

P.S. Ask me the same question again after a few weeks, when I've inhaled enough Leica's pixie dust!

Last edited by drypenn; 08-07-2015 at 09:00 AM.
08-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Ken Rockwell's "Leica Man" article is actually pretty funny. The Leica Man

When I read guys like Eric Kim talking about the Leica as the ultimate and whatnot, and see pictures that a Yashica rangefinder could easily have taken, I think there's a bit of that "Leica Man" mystique going on for more people. It's just a status thing IMHO. Leica digitals are especially a mystery to me, they seem to make as much sense as the rebranded Sonys that are sold under the Hasselblad name.
08-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
I think their cameras are overpriced for what they deliver performance wise but that's not the value they are being considered at. It's a little bit of paying heavily for the best and exclusivity.
Yep, that's about right. I own two, still fully functional Leica rangefinder camera from the mid 1930's, that are still amazingly good today. Simple, small, tough, sharp, etc. Before Japan ruled cameras, there were German cameras and Leica was (still is?) on top of the heap.
08-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
osv
Veteran Member

Is it the quality? The price? Implied prestige? All or none of the above?
if you have to ask, you can't afford it
08-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Having bought recently into that "mystique", I think it's akin to buying a Mazda vs. a BMW.
Did you buy a film camera? And, if so, was it a rangefinder or an SLR?