Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2015, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Enjoying taking photographs

I was going to title the thread 'Enjoying photography' but thought that was too wide a topic. Do those who seem to obsess over the technical aspects enjoy just going out 'snapping' or does each picture have to meet certain standards or serve a specific purpose? Do they really get upset because they can't get the required DOF or the bokeh (whatever that is to them) isn't quite right?

08-10-2015, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
I was going to title the thread 'Enjoying photography' but thought that was too wide a topic. Do those who seem to obsess over the technical aspects enjoy just going out 'snapping' or does each picture have to meet certain standards or serve a specific purpose? Do they really get upset because they can't get the required DOF or the bokeh (whatever that is to them) isn't quite right?
I think the same thing when I come here and start seeing the insanely technical debate about sensor size, pixel pitch, aperture, etc. etc. etc. Then the extended debate of "can one even take a photograph if they don't understand the technical"

I disagree, and I think I'm living proof.

I'm not a world class photographer, far from it, but my feedback and referrals tell me I make good photos. This wouldn't have happened if I didn't know the basics, but to me the basics are understanding Aperture, Shutter, and ISO and how they interact. After that, a great understanding of light and how and why it does what it does to illuminate your subject is way more important than selecting the proper aperture.

That said some people enjoy different elements.

Some enjoy the creation part the most
some enjoy the lighting manipulation
some enjoy the post production and compositing
some enjoy the the planning and concept stages
some enjoy just going out and shooting
some enjoy the technical

To me it doesn't matter as long as your enjoying photography, enjoying what you create, are proud of what you create, and you can find ways to improve every day.

There are two major problems with general every day photography today the way I see it: the over analytical tech war and critique that is either not accepted or unsolicited.
08-10-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After forty years of taking photographs I still get a 'buzz' from going out with a camera and thinking I might get a couple of decent shots but not being concerned if I come back with none. Does taking it to that 'technical' level - is it pin sharp etc - take anything away from the simple pleasure of photographing stuff?
08-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do both, I think there is room for both. I try to get the technical stuff down so I know it, and sometimes I just shoot to learn that. And then sometimes I just shot for fun. I enter into little juried shows around here and some online ones. What I have discovered is that the ones that I shoot for fun or just get the moment, etc fair better for juried shows. But I still practice the technical. Kind of like I guess practicing piano or other instruments, you got learn some of the technical basics. There is room to learn everything, I think that is why people like photography. You can learn the technical part, the planning part, the development part. I am trying to learn astrophotgraphy, so I do go out for a specific purpose, and yes do get upset I can't get it right. But then I shoot other things too. There are so many facets you can learn that you will never get bored. I think some people learn the technical first and then learn the emotional aspect of creating art, then others start with the emotional art and then learn the technical aspect.

08-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ansel Adams said if he got twelve significant photographs in a year, it was a good year.

I like the technical aspects of photography. Sometimes, the image acquired is less important than perfecting the process by which the image is captured. I suppose that is my version of "just going out snapping".
08-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well when I take a picture. It has to be somewhat descent, hate when people tell me it's a good shot, or better then I thought it would turn out.

Am I pro? Hell }#|#% no.

Do people get upset not getting the same quality, DOF ect ect, as I do? You bet.....

My parents own a D90 and keep asking me to use my K-30...... I just tell them to learn how to use theirs
08-10-2015, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #7

Doing the Single in August this month (first timer) - this is a great activity as it literally forces you to get out and take photo's every day. I can safely say I've taken more photos so far this month then anytime except holidays. And not too surprisingly getting a good quantity of keepers

Mark

08-10-2015, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah, the Single In challenge has been a huge part of my improvement.
08-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Then the extended debate of "can one even take a photograph if they don't understand the technical"
then there is the big question, "Can you even take a photograph if you don't have a full frame sensor?"
08-10-2015, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
then there is the big question, "Can you even take a photograph if you don't have a full frame sensor?"
You can't make a photograph with out a wet plate and a dark room. Lets gwt serious here
08-10-2015, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mholford Quote
Doing the Single in August this month (first timer) - this is a great activity as it literally forces you to get out and take photo's every day. I can safely say I've taken more photos so far this month then anytime except holidays. And not too surprisingly getting a good quantity of keepers

Mark
QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
Yeah, the Single In challenge has been a huge part of my improvement.
I have to agree that the singles challenges are great, it really does challenge you to use a lens in a way you may never have done if you did not have the pressure to shoot. I've found it hard to commit the time lately. The weekly and mini challenges are good too, where you don't have to commit to every day.

I enjoy taking the photos, usually more than the final product. The final product is always a memory. Sometimes I'll take a good photo and not really notice it, because the experience wasn't that great, or the expectations were low for some reason.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 08-10-2015 at 05:10 PM.
08-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

"Obsess" is a pretty pejorative word. The people who are into camera technical dorkery are quite often into technical dorkery in other areas of their lives. They're, ok ok, we're, just carrying over how we do things in general into our hobbies. It can be as much or as little a part of photography as a person wants and is happy with.

For most of what I shoot there's no reason apart from inherent laziness that I can't have the focus right where I want it, or the lighting how I want it, or all the little technical details lining up just as I've envisioned it. I enjoy the planning stages of a photo and am almost never happy with photos I've just 'snapped' with little thought to either the arty conceptual side or to the technical side (I hate to separate them into different sides, they're really good friends). If I spend the day wandering a swamp and am unable to find suitably cooperative subjects to make a photo I'm happy with, it's still a day I've spent wandering the swamp, so it was a good day.
08-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #13
Imp
Pentaxian

Doing the Single in August this month (first timer)
Same!
surprisingly getting a good quantity of keepers
Same!

I'm really enjoying the single-in challenge, although it gets irritating at some points.

I've heard Jared Polin say, oh, that isn't a great portrait because the eyes are slightly off focus. I mean, really?
I try to avoid the need for absolute technical perfectness, although it is a good goal to reach for. I don't kick myself if it is slightly off.
08-10-2015, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Or a DSLR?
08-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I think the same thing when I come here and start seeing the insanely technical debate about sensor size, pixel pitch, aperture, etc. etc. etc. Then the extended debate of "can one even take a photograph if they don't understand the technical"
I have a friend who is a world class photographer who has taken shots that have been in or on many of the most major mags and newspapers you can think up.

I recall the conversation once where he cut me off mid sentence saying something about 'if you're going to ask me which sensor displays smurf purple better then don't even bother. I don't know anything about that ****..."

That just about sums it all up for me. Having a basic understanding of how things works is one thing but flying off the deep end about some of that stuff doesn't contribute a bit to actually taking better photos.