Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Simple, look that person in the eye and with a straight face say "As a paperweight."
Said that to my parents..... They own a D90. Me? A K-30......... They have never learned how to use it

08-10-2015, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
SNIP... When I look at my own photos I often feel like they're just pretty images that mean nothing. They show things, and don't say anything or tell me a story. Would I be wrong to assume this is a common worry/neurosis amongst photographers - and indeed artists of other stripes?
You were looking at the scene when the photo was taken; there's not much story left to tell you. In the same vein:
  • Horror movie writers and directors don't get scared watching their own movies.
  • Reporters don't get more informed on current events by reading their own articles.
  • Students don't learn any new material reading their own term papers.
  • Explorers don't make many discoveries in their home towns.
Look at another photographer's take on the same scene you photographed. There will be more story in those photos than in your own photos.
08-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I get out of the house, and see something. I document it, mostly, with a bit of artist flair once in awhile.
08-10-2015, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

There are many reasons for doing photography, and what is felt looking at the image will depend on that reason. My goal is to produce an attractive image that helps me to appreciate the beauty of the universe. I also feel pride in my craft, but that is secondary mostly.

08-10-2015, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos get more important the longer you keep them. I don't worry about art or if the subject is 'banal'. Today's banal photo is tomorrow's historic record.
08-10-2015, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am amateurs photograph and rather mediocre. But quality of cameras is so good nowadays even bad photographer produces good images from time to time. You just need to be selective enough. Eventually the question aroused what to do with hundreds of collected images. As far as most of my job time (as well as a lot of free time) I spend with computers, pretty soon I found the answer. I wanted computer each time I logging or unlock the screen to show one of images which remind me of places where I was. While there are a lot of program allowed to change desktop background none of them worked the way I like it: 1) it should not stay resident in computer RAM memory; 2) it should change the image by the system scheduler on events like logging, unlock, or at particular time of day; 2) it should make image selection randomly and any image can be repeated only when all images from the collection are taken. I did not find anything which works exact like this, so I have to code one myself. The more detail description as well as link to code and exec you may find here: Changing Windows Desktop Backgorund from Task Scheduler or Shortcut
This program served me first on Windows XP, then on Windows 7 and now on Windows 8.1. Did not have a chance to test it on Windows 10 yet.

08-10-2015, 10:44 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Photography for me is not about making an overt statement. The act of photographing something is acknowledging the beauty of what I see in front of me. Recognizing this beauty is a humanist and spiritual exercise for my soul. It's a way for me to clear my head, open my eyes, and prepare my heart. Photography is therapeutic for me this way.

I think people are at their best when they are engaged in a creative pursuit of art. Art is a broad term. It can be the art of engineering, design, color, form and structure, light, performing, literary, etc. Name it. Photography is something that resonates with me along those lines. So, I engage with it and let it take me where ever it will. Sometimes I come out sadder. Sometimes I come out happier. Sometimes I'm satisfied. Sometimes I'm dissatisfied. It's just as well to whoop for joy as it is to be troubled.

A creative pursuit is a journey toward excellence. I do it one shutter click at a time. Ok, sometimes three because of exposure bracketing.

08-11-2015, 05:50 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The act of photographing something is acknowledging the beauty of what I see in front of me. Recognizing this beauty is a humanist and spiritual exercise for my soul. It's a way for me to clear my head, open my eyes, and prepare my heart. Photography is therapeutic for me this way.
Well said. I get less out of my photos than I do the act of photographing. Regardless of how the pics turn out, photography connects me to the world around me and forces me to slow down and appreciate the beauty of things I might otherwise miss in the bustle of everyday life.
08-11-2015, 05:58 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, there's definitely a bit of that. That, and sharing.
08-11-2015, 06:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

What do you get out of your photos?
For me photography is simply a visual dialogue between myself and someone else or even just with myself.
I no longer make a distinction between the medium anymore. The language can be the language of photography, painting, cinema, fine art, kitsch, whatever, so long as it speaks to me coherently on some level.

------------------------------------

Art is a lie that speaks a truth.
Picasso.

Last edited by wildman; 08-14-2015 at 04:17 AM.
08-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me, photography is, in many ways, an inhalation of creativity.

I photograph a location, or an object, or an animal, from different angles and at different times. The more I do that - the more I develop and consider the images I take home - the more I develop an inner narrative on the subjects of my photos. And when I revisit these locations, or once again encounter the animals I've photographed, I have not only a more intimate knowledge but perhaps also a different perspective. In other words, photography helps me think.

If writing a story is a pouring out - an exhalation - then the act of photographing is the intake, the absorption of the beautiful raw stuff.

(Also yes it's nice to get the $$ and have people like your pics )

08-15-2015, 06:37 AM   #27

This sounds similar to the thread Enjoying taking photographs (which is a good topic in its own right), but I'm asking a different question here. Once you've been out, shot your roll (so to speak), picked the best, developed, printed/published, etc, and you look at your final image, what do you feel?

When I look at my own photos I often feel like they're just pretty images that mean nothing. They show things, and don't say anything or tell me a story. Would I be wrong to assume this is a common worry/neurosis amongst photographers - and indeed artists of other stripes?
Most of my shots are family. I keep memories, for me and for others. Life is short, its fun to be able to look back in detail on a moment. I enjoy the challenge of trying to capture those moments too.
08-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #28
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

For me. photos tell a story and almost every post I make is a story involving photos. It brings them into reality, into life, and it's fun too...and I love a little fun...or a lot!

Long thread...and almost every post I make here has some story to it.....the photos by themselves would have little meaning otherwise.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/132-pentaxian-lounge/296039-forum-shots-today.html

Anyhow, It's what I get out of it, and it satisfies me well!

Regards!

Here's some photos with no story...you can read the story int he above link to the Lounge Photo thread. Yep, stories make the difference to me!

08-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I took what I thought were beautiful flowers with bees and butterflies all over. The flowers were so bright and made me feel good. I loved the final product and had them printed 15" x 18" or so. I showed them to one of my naturalist friends, he smiled and said they look really nice, but why would you take pictures of invasive weeds, I poison all of those. My answer is if I like and feel good about my shots I keep them and there are times I do not keep anything. Comes with being a photographer.
08-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To me it is seeing something that affects you, then trying to capture that feeling as an image. If you do to some significant extent, that is good, and you will see it. If not, you need to see that, and why. Family and documentary photos are meaningful, but are most often different. It doesn't have to be, and I'm always looking for that extra bit. That said, I'm grateful for decades of snapshots by lots of people that we all have now. But for me, documenting a moment, and feeling about it, is at the core of photography.