Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What do you get out of your photos?

This sounds similar to the thread Enjoying taking photographs (which is a good topic in its own right), but I'm asking a different question here. Once you've been out, shot your roll (so to speak), picked the best, developed, printed/published, etc, and you look at your final image, what do you feel?

When I look at my own photos I often feel like they're just pretty images that mean nothing. They show things, and don't say anything or tell me a story. Would I be wrong to assume this is a common worry/neurosis amongst photographers - and indeed artists of other stripes?

08-10-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes...

I'll stick to my last statement on your other thread....
08-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take photos of your friends and family. They are always meaningful.
08-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
Yes...

I'll stick to my last statement on your other thread....
My other thread?

08-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

some get a kick from champagne...

Well, I actually feel the opposite quite often...
I'm pretty good - I believe - at taking so-so to good-enough pictures that however have a nice narrative when strung together.
That way, I can get a feel for past events that have already gone blurry in my mind, of which I only recall the general outline.
08-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I often wonder if my thought or vision comes through. sometimes photos people really like are ones that I dont care for. but its like those bands that hate the songs that make them popular. I guess. I really try hard to show people what I am feeling or why I picked that thing to photograph. sometimes people get it, sometimes they dont. if my image did mean something (to me) and the viewer got it would it make it better than the ones that they dont get? I guess I just like doing it even if there is no meaning to it. I will spend a long time working on a photo that no one will ever see, its more therapeutic to me.
08-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
My other thread?
The enjoying thread....

---------- Post added 08-10-15 at 08:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I often wonder if my thought or vision comes through. sometimes photos people really like are ones that I dont care for. but its like those bands that hate the songs that make them popular. I guess. I really try hard to show people what I am feeling or why I picked that thing to photograph. sometimes people get it, sometimes they dont. if my image did mean something (to me) and the viewer got it would it make it better than the ones that they dont get? I guess I just like doing it even if there is no meaning to it. I will spend a long time working on a photo that no one will ever see, its more therapeutic to me.
I agree..... Until somebody asks you? How do I use my camera?

08-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote

How do I use my camera?

Simple, look that person in the eye and with a straight face say "As a paperweight."
08-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Fun

For those who see my fun, fun.

I do not claim art. Others may decide.

I pic situations and strange objects.
08-10-2015, 05:56 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Taking pictures that are meaningful is part of the art of photography if you ask me. Sometimes though it takes time for the meaning to appear. For example I always carry my camera around taking pictures of people (usually relatives) and people hate it. They are always trying to act like a bunch of damn fools every time they see a camera. However a distant relative that honestly I didn't know that well recently passed away and no one had pictures of her. Turns out people contacted me, and next thing you know they are using my photos in the memorial service and everyone was then all commenting on how great the photos were. THEN they were paying attention. I know it's not the best most uplifting story but it's true.

It could be anything. I've seen people take a 'street scene' and then like 20 years later people were comparing that to 'now'... the photos certainly had meaning.

I also think though you don't have to wait until 'later' to have a photo mean something. It's up to the photographer to tell the story. One shot, one snap, you can capture a lot.

For me if I have the chance (which is honestly not that often) I don't try to just capture the scene but rather the moment, the emotion, or the feeling of what's going on. If you can capture the underlying feeling or culture of a person, or their mood, or any of that stuff... odds are it will be something very unique. It's not something you can always obtain by taking photos of bugs or flowers... but those have their place in things too.
08-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Different for me. I'm trying to duplicate or exceed the $1200 photo days my wife used to pay of my baby. Three years later I am there.
08-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Taking pictures that are meaningful is part of the art of photography if you ask me. Sometimes though it takes time for the meaning to appear. For example I always carry my camera around taking pictures of people (usually relatives) and people hate it. They are always trying to act like a bunch of damn fools every time they see a camera. However a distant relative that honestly I didn't know that well recently passed away and no one had pictures of her. Turns out people contacted me, and next thing you know they are using my photos in the memorial service and everyone was then all commenting on how great the photos were. THEN they were paying attention. I know it's not the best most uplifting story but it's true.

It could be anything. I've seen people take a 'street scene' and then like 20 years later people were comparing that to 'now'... the photos certainly had meaning.

I also think though you don't have to wait until 'later' to have a photo mean something. It's up to the photographer to tell the story. One shot, one snap, you can capture a lot.

For me if I have the chance (which is honestly not that often) I don't try to just capture the scene but rather the moment, the emotion, or the feeling of what's going on. If you can capture the underlying feeling or culture of a person, or their mood, or any of that stuff... odds are it will be something very unique. It's not something you can always obtain by taking photos of bugs or flowers... but those have their place in things too.
We had a similar situation when my grandfather passed away recently. Though he enjoyed photography there were relatively few photos of him. Since that experience I have been more active in taking photos of family.

What you say about capturing moments strikes a note, and I think is something I'll be considering more in future.
08-10-2015, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

I got such a wonderful feeling seeing the face of a good friend of mine after I gave him a collage of some places we visited on a road trip to Texas, where he was born and raised. We spent three weeks on the road through the Southwest. His wife had passed away last year and my wife and I were a little worried about him. So we loaded up the car and drove. The photos weren't anything special, but it meant a lot to him and also to me. This is what I get out of my photography.
Attached Images

08-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I try to look at things (by taking their picture) that are "looking back", even if they are not people (I never shoot people) or animals. Most everything is a portrait of some kind. And I might have to shoot 500 shots to get one decent one...
08-10-2015, 06:42 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Money, a lot of it. Of all the things I enjoy doing, photography and being able to making money out of it - something my family has been doing for over four generations.

That and the ability to work with world class cameras and optics, it is one hell of a lot of fun.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-16-2015 at 02:16 AM.