Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2015, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Passing it on

I was visiting with my sister and her kids recently and my niece (8 years old) asked if she could try my camera (K50). I said sure and proceeded to show her the basics including, of course, how to safely secure the camera with the strap.

Here is where the generational differences show. I, having grown up with film, still tend to shoot conservatively as if I was limited to 36 pictures until I could afford the next roll. My niece on the other hand, growing up with all things digital, takes the K50 and proceeds to take more pictures in 5 minutes that I've taken all week.

The point though is that she really enjoyed herself and so I urge everyone to never hesitate to pass on your knowledge to someone else.

Thanks for listening.

Joe

08-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LOL! Great story. Good for you. My granddaughter has had similar indoctrination from me with, actually, the same result...
08-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Alas, my kids show little interest in photography. They're all about video - creating it in the case of my daughter, consuming it in the case of both son and daughter. I seldom see them even play video games. It's all about mindless video watching.

I need to crack down on that.
08-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I take my grandsons out shooting on occasion. The last time I loaded my old K-1000 with a roll of film. Showed them how to read and adjust the settings. Then the two of them had to share it . Now they both want film cameras of their own. They said it was better than my digitals.

08-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Was a time I could not take less than 100 Shots if I took the digital camera out ...
08-13-2015, 03:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My eleven year old nephew is currently on a family holiday in Peru with my old Kx which I guess is his now. I only showed him two things before he left: half press focus and rule of thirds (ie where to place horizons). One day I'm a crazy camera hoarder, the next a generous uncle.
08-13-2015, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

My 16 yr old son went on a trip to Yellowstone Nat'l Park with his grandparents a couple of weeks ago and I let him take my K-x. A couple of the Canikon Pros (They must be pros because they had huge lenses) in his tour group suggested that he shoot in burst mode to make sure he didn't miss the shot. He returned with 1200 photos. I processed the 35 Raw keepers I liked and he said he isn't interested in processing any of the other shots.

Tim
08-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
My 16 yr old son went on a trip to Yellowstone Nat'l Park with his grandparents a couple of weeks ago and I let him take my K-x. A couple of the Canikon Pros (They must be pros because they had huge lenses) in his tour group suggested that he shoot in burst mode to make sure he didn't miss the shot. He returned with 1200 photos. I processed the 35 Raw keepers I liked and he said he isn't interested in processing any of the other shots.

Tim
I'm not sure I'd conclude those photographers were pros just based on having huge lenses, but I've had similar experiences, and I can certainly see the advantages of burst mode. My problem would be choosing from those images later. But 1200 pictures isn't a lot for an entire trip to Yellowstone. A pro-dslr user that was on a one-hour tour with me took far more than that during that hour, and I might have done that too if the photos were important to me.

Last edited by tibbitts; 08-20-2015 at 05:56 PM.
08-19-2015, 04:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I'm not sure I'd conclude those photographers were pros just based on have huge lenses
The huge lens = pros was his statement not mine. I should have made that clearer.

Tim
08-19-2015, 05:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
The huge lens = pros was his statement not mine
I took it as your statement, but very tongue-in-cheek.