Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
If I were you I'd kill him with kindness.

Troll the hell out of every single thing he posts. Ask questions not about his vision but his gear and set up and act jealous of his Nikon. "Wow I could never get results that stunning with my pentax"

Do this to every single thing he posts, he will hopefully block you fairly quickly
This would backfire IMO. If the guy's an idiot, which by all accounts he is, he will probably think this is all true and he really is the photography god. Even worse, he would engage in further conversations.

08-14-2015, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

I condescend right back, in a faux friendly way. (Some may call it passive aggressive.) "Oh, you're one of those gear snobs? Yeah, that's a phase a lot people go through. It's insecurity, but your gear will not save you my friend. Once you start to produce some decent work, hopefully you'll find others less threatening. But be careful, some people get stuck in the phase forever." Etc. In real life, I'll probably be more rambling and less pointed about it, but you get the picture. I'd ask them if they want any tips, laugh off their pathetic insults as if they were a child, and so on...
08-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I have had people talk down to me when I asked a question or made a statement, I had one 'professional' go on and on about my silliness because I said its not the gear but what you do with it (he believes it IS the gear because without it you can't take good photos) I honestly didn't think his photos were that good, but he is getting paid and I am not, so I know he is not a bad photographer and has something I don't. (though I do see some people getting paid and I wonder how/why people can pay them?) He did not know that I had been involved in photography since I was 8, and had a BFA in photography, which doesn't mean that I am great or better than him either- I have had a 20 year absence and am 'new' to digital - but it does mean I didn't fall off the turnip truck and have no experience in photography or high end cameras and did not need to be talked to like I was an idiot.

By the way this conversation started over an article about an award winning washington post photographer who people said took great photos because of his camera. To prove it was not his gear, he photographed and won awards with a brownie camera. Apparently this photographer thought the article was 'bull' I have to add, he said NO wedding photographer should be in business unless they shot with at least 2 full frame cameras. He was telling a beginner photographer she should not take one picture unless she memorizes the DOF table for her camera. I eventually left the group I belong to with him because I couldn't stand his superiority - and unfortunately it is one of the reasons I have issues with some of the camera clubs I have joined.

It has taken me a while to not get jealous when I see an amazing photographer, but at least I keep my mouth shut, lol. I am sure he is jealous but hasn't learned the keeping the mouth shut stage.
Anyone who thinks that gear is a requirement for great photos is stupid. Gear helps open some opportunities, gear helps enable some shots that you can't get otherwise. Gear however does not make you an artist.

There are many artists who are very gear centric as well. They are perhaps insecure and need the gear to push them, but they aren't the problem. The problem lies with those who think gear is the answer. Point them to the Single In challenge here - there you will see great gear produce hum drum results and bad gear produce stunning results - all due to the artist behind the camera.
08-14-2015, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

you are definitely not alone here... I am an event photographer and always shoot with a crowd of "photographers" and some have been shooting for a while too. At the beginning (years ago), I was intimidated by people carrying big cameras (especially those with heavy pipe lens). After a while and I have seen their work, gradually I don't get the same feeling any more, as I learned over the years that those who brag about their equipment are average photographer at best (judging from their photos).

Now, I shoot along with people carrying 1Ds, D4, D810, 5D MKIII, I treat them as average photogs only, since at the end of event, people (in my photos) are anxiously waiting for my photos instead of theirs.

08-14-2015, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
This would backfire IMO. If the guy's an idiot, which by all accounts he is, he will probably think this is all true and he really is the photography god. Even worse, he would engage in further conversations.
Yes! That's exactly what you want. If he takes it hook line and sinker it just makes him look like an idiot to everyone who sees the posts.

Ie if his photos are all washed out and bland ask him how he got such saturated colors, complain that yours are never as vivid as his.. All the people reading the post will detect the trolling but he will probably tell you stories about his superior sensor. It'll be a great time
08-14-2015, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MyInkIsMyArt Quote
I have recently came to the self realization that, while I absolutely love photography, I seem to have an unnatural hate for "bad" photography and photographers.
For example;
I am so mesmerized and inspired by so many photographers. Some of them are famous, some of them are unknown. Some are full time professionals, others are amateurs. What they all have in common in that they are damn good photographers that can make real art with their photography.

Maybe it will be easier to understand my position if I explain my current dilemma;
I went to a dinner party a few weeks ago. The host is a photographer I know. We have gone on several photo expeditions together, swapped gear, etc. Nice guy.
Within the first five minutes of being at his house, a man walks up to me and starts talking photography. He is dressed very "hipsterish" and seems to have a superiority complex.
While we talk, he is more or less speaking to me as an equal. He can't wait to show off his Nikon D750, his 24-70, his 20mm that he uses for street photography, his accessories, etc.
I am friendly and tell him how Nikon makes good stuff, and I was always very fond of the old D700. He gets kind of snooty and says "Uh, that's an old camera". I say "yeah, and it's still a fantastic one".
After awhile he asks to see my gear. I show him my Pentax K-5, lenses, accessories, etc. The tone of the conversation changes immediately. He shifts to speaking down to me, as if he is the pro and I am the amateur who needs guidance. He won't stop making comments about how I need to switch to Nikon, or "maybe when you can afford it" type of comments.
Then he eagerly whips out his phone and starts showing me what seems like an endless gallery of his photos on Flickr. And they are all crap. Well, I think I may have saw one or two that were decent. I even tried to make make positive comments about his work, as I feel it is polite to do so. Anyway, I kept calm and tried to not let it get to me. I just shifted away from him and back to the host of the dinner party. In the following weeks, he has found some of my photos on Facebook and doesn't hesitate to criticize them harshly, then post his own photos as examples of better work.
Anyway, I am rambling.
What I notice is, none of it would bother me nearly as much if he was actually skilled. The key factor that seems to shift it from "a bit annoying" to "I need to suppress my rage" is the fact that his photography is absolute crap. After some self reflection, I have noticed that this is not the first time I have felt this way, being annoyed/frustrated by self-proclaimed "photographers" who aggressively advertise their gear and their work, yet are not at all skilled.

Am I alone here? Is this somewhat common, or am I defective?
You were polite, the other photographer was rude. Are you satisfied with your images? Does your equipment provide the features you need?
Ignore his put downs, and continue to be polite. You may find that this person grows out of this phase when they run out of things to buy, and becomes aware that their photography could be improved in other ways than new equipment. Talk with them objectively about aspects of their photography other than the name on the front of their camera. Talk about composition, f-stop vs. exposure time, their preferences in image style, etc. You might find someone who really wants to learn from others who share their interest.
08-14-2015, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't just love it? I was at the camera club meeting the other night or should I say the Canikon club meeting. It is amazing how Pentax is put down.

08-14-2015, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

The appropriate response would be to sneer at him, say, "God, I hate you fscking hipsters. Pathetic." and walk away.
08-14-2015, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Don't just love it? I was at the camera club meeting the other night or should I say the Canikon club meeting. It is amazing how Pentax is put down.

Time to bring back this banner... (thanks to the original author, whoever it was... )

08-14-2015, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've shot Nikon and Canon and others in the long distant past. I shot a Nikon superzoom for a few years as an easy to carry camera. I tried to use a friends Nikon 5500 recently and HATED it. I shoot Pentax, I do not think it is the only option - I do not look down on my M4/3 friends or my Nikon and Canon friends - in the end this the tool I like and I have selected. I also had a Palm webOS Pre for a smartphone. I apparently like the underdog.
08-14-2015, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #41
Forum Member

I think, subconsciously, a lot of people who do this are aware that their photography is lacking. They make up for this by trying to out-gear other people, so they have at least one thing on them. This person will eventually grow up, and realise what you knew all along.

Gear gives you alternatives, but not artistry.
08-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #42
Banned

Original Poster

Last edited by MyInkIsMyArt; 08-20-2015 at 07:44 AM.
08-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MyInkIsMyArt Quote
I thought it might be interesting to add that a few hours ago I found out that the Nikon guy is now selling all his gear in hopes of funding the purchase of the new Canon 5Dsr...
This brought tears to my eyes as I laughed out loud. Now if he only had a Sony... 'er Canon... Leica... God forbid he ever hear about the 645z...
08-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Heh, that is classic.

Some people like collecting toys. I do to a certain extent, but I take lots of photos and try to improve my skills. Each to his own.

The group that I shoot with from time to time has a wide selection of brands, bodies lenses and skills. We talk hardware rarely, more in terms of what solution to a real problem we face a certain manufacturer has come up with. Zooms, primes, flashes. Lots to learn from each other, simply knowing something exists is a help at times. And we all enjoy very much each other's shots. But hardware is tertiary; location, opportunity to get there, light conditions make the shots, the hardware is a matter of knowing how to use it. We improve each other by trying to attain a high level of quality.

I guess I'm either lucky or inadvertently very selective in my companions.
08-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #45
Pentaxian

A foole & his money,
be soone at debate:
which after with sorow,
repents him to late.
-Thomas Tusser, 1573

Or, a fool and his money soon depart. If you see him coming towards you with his new Canon and stack of L lenses, RUN!!!