Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2015, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
digitalrev has a series where they have photographers use cheap cameras to create great picture. They always win the challenge. David hobby was given a buzz lightyear camera that went to "infinity and beyond". I think that's number 5 in the series.

08-14-2015, 11:51 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think artistic souls have to be given a long leash, because if it's something they do professionally, they can be turned insecure by the nature of what they do - extended periods of unemployment. Hobbyists don't have this excuse, BTW.

How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb? Twenty - one to do it, nineteen to say they would have done it better. ☺

Last edited by clackers; 08-14-2015 at 12:07 PM.
08-14-2015, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

Unless you care for him enough to show him the errors of his ways and help him be a better person (it doesn't sound like it), just block him on Facebook and walk away. He's not worth wasting your time on, not without him agreeing to a consultation fee, that is. FWIW, I dig your Flickr stuff.
08-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MyInkIsMyArt Quote

I thought it might be interesting to add that a few hours ago I found out that the Nikon guy is now selling all his gear in hopes of funding the purchase of the new Canon 5Dsr...
I still reckon his issues could be addressed surgically

08-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have recently came to the self realization that, while I absolutely love photography, I seem to have an unnatural hate for "bad" photography and photographers.
For example;
I am so mesmerized and inspired by so many photographers. Some of them are famous, some of them are unknown. Some are full time professionals, others are amateurs. What they all have in common in that they are damn good photographers that can make real art with their photography.

Maybe it will be easier to understand my position if I explain my current dilemma;
I went to a dinner party a few weeks ago. The host is a photographer I know. We have gone on several photo expeditions together, swapped gear, etc. Nice guy.
Within the first five minutes of being at his house, a man walks up to me and starts talking photography. He is dressed very "hipsterish" and seems to have a superiority complex.
While we talk, he is more or less speaking to me as an equal. He can't wait to show off his Nikon D750, his 24-70, his 20mm that he uses for street photography, his accessories, etc.
I am friendly and tell him how Nikon makes good stuff, and I was always very fond of the old D700. He gets kind of snooty and says "Uh, that's an old camera". I say "yeah, and it's still a fantastic one".
After awhile he asks to see my gear. I show him my Pentax K-5, lenses, accessories, etc. The tone of the conversation changes immediately. He shifts to speaking down to me, as if he is the pro and I am the amateur who needs guidance. He won't stop making comments about how I need to switch to Nikon, or "maybe when you can afford it" type of comments.
Then he eagerly whips out his phone and starts showing me what seems like an endless gallery of his photos on Flickr. And they are all crap. Well, I think I may have saw one or two that were decent. I even tried to make make positive comments about his work, as I feel it is polite to do so. Anyway, I kept calm and tried to not let it get to me. I just shifted away from him and back to the host of the dinner party. In the following weeks, he has found some of my photos on Facebook and doesn't hesitate to criticize them harshly, then post his own photos as examples of better work.
Anyway, I am rambling.
What I notice is, none of it would bother me nearly as much if he was actually skilled. The key factor that seems to shift it from "a bit annoying" to "I need to suppress my rage" is the fact that his photography is absolute crap. After some self reflection, I have noticed that this is not the first time I have felt this way, being annoyed/frustrated by self-proclaimed "photographers" who aggressively advertise their gear and their work, yet are not at all skilled.

Am I alone here? Is this somewhat common, or am I defective?

One thing I learned is that it is extremely difficult to change some peoples perceptions....
08-14-2015, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

He is dressed very "hipsterish" and seems to have a superiority complex.

A lot of my friends would have had the thought to kick his ass based only on that alone.

He sounds like a real jackass so just stay away from him.

I hate know it alls who really don't know anything.
08-14-2015, 07:29 PM - 2 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
digitalrev has a series where they have photographers use cheap cameras to create great picture. They always win the challenge. David hobby was given a buzz lightyear camera that went to "infinity and beyond". I think that's number 5 in the series.
Love those challenges. Here are my favorites from the series:

And as Chase Jarvis has said, the best camera is the one you have with you

---------- Post added 08-14-15 at 11:13 PM ----------

Also speaking of DRTV, I think this video fits this thread perfectly.

08-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like the cheap camera videos.
08-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #54
Pentaxian

loved Laura jade. I watched several today while doing laundry. These totally stun me and make me dismiss outright, gear snobs. The best love this challenge and to them it is obvious that the gear is just a tool that helps them. You never hear a violinist say I would have sounded great if I had a Strtavarius.
08-14-2015, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #55
Banned

Original Poster

Last edited by MyInkIsMyArt; 08-20-2015 at 07:44 AM.
08-14-2015, 10:30 PM   #56
Pentaxian

every picture I have taken could be better in my view but is better than Some photogs who is all that and vis versa. I have pics criticized that are loved and the opposite. My Flickr stream is meant to find that out. Love what you love and let others love what they do. Snobs love what they do. So does everyone else. I could tell everyone which photos I have that are good and I would be wrong.
08-15-2015, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

I read through all the post on this thread and I lean towards the constructive criticism. If this guys photos are bad tell him but also suggest to him how to change the way he is taking photos and his post production. He may be rude and a rear end biter but in the end he might also see the light.

On the other hand, a part of me also says that you need to troll this guy by saying things like "This can't be your best photos?" and "How about showing the world your best photos instead of your throwaways."
08-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
If you are meek, you can take some really great photos, and few people will notice, and fewer people will financially reward.
I'd say it's more about shameless self-promotion. Posting here or there doesn't get it done. You need to spam a half dozen places with a lot of photos to get some attention.

Heck, I posted some images I took recently and got a slew of likes on the post. But how many came to like and follow my page itself? Just a handful. So it takes quite a bit to get a following.
08-15-2015, 09:51 PM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
I read through all the post on this thread and I lean towards the constructive criticism ...
Bigdave, you did a pivot in that post from Life Coach to Passive-Aggressive.

Smooooooth! ☺

Last edited by clackers; 08-15-2015 at 10:03 PM.
08-15-2015, 11:23 PM   #60
Pentaxian

For those among us who have aspirations of selling your photographs.

If you really want a litmus test of your worth as a marketable photographer use Google image search or tin eye on a few of your classiest shots and see if you have been plagiarized by any one.

If you have had a few ripped off then you may be in line for a small payout. If you haven't had any images borrowed then you are either still not classy enough or have to make more efforts at self promotion.

Can be a sobering exercise either way... (images found placed on Pentax forums don't count)